Anybody use Evans Hydraulic Blues?

I have used or heard in person Evans hydraulics on high end maple, birch, a reference (I know....) and several lower end kits. I personally do not like them. If you are going for that 70's tom sound they are good. But I find they are too dead for me.
What kind of kit would you put them on and what kind of sound are you looking for?
Mostly live or recording? What kind of room?

I work for a shipping supply company. If I want that kind of sound, I'll just bring some boxes home. Not trying to offend anyone, but that's what those heads sound like to me.

Way to dead/muffled sounding for my tastes. I prefer Pinstripes, and even then, only on my acrylic drums.​

If you're thinking about getting Hydraulics, go find an empty laundry basket laying around. Flip it over, and slap it. That's what your drums will sound like.

I have used Evans blue hydraulics on my Zickos drums since 1973. I think they are great. They give a big fat low end sound. My 2 cents.

I don't think I like them on smaller toms but I like them on bigger floor toms for that thumpy sort of sound.

Back in the day (I still don't what day that is ...) I used them on my vistalites. I thought they sounded good.

I was so obsessed with these heads when I was younger because Steve Gadd used them.

Steve Gadd can make any head sound terrific.....I can't.

Aside from the sound qualities, the response is different from a non-oil filled head. It's much less responsive to my recollection, especially if tuned way down.

Still, an interesting alternative and if I were in a situation where I had mic's and a sound man and wanted that 70's, thuddy sound, Hydraulic's would be an option.

This pretty much sums it up. The heads to use if you want the dead-dry 70s studio sound. They definitely have a different feel to them. Deader than a Remo CS/Ludwig Silver Dot head.

Aside from the sound qualities, the response is different from a non-oil filled head. It's much less responsive to my recollection, especially if tuned way down.

Still, an interesting alternative and if I were in a situation where I had mic's and a sound man and wanted that 70's, thuddy sound, Hydraulic's would be an option.

Back