Evans guy needing advice on Remo snare heads

Dignan

Silver Member
So I've got a TAMA Artwood Maple snare 13" that came with a new PS3 Remo head. I like the head but it sounds a little too controlled for my taste. I want something that provides more sensitivity too. I like to play a lot of ghost notes. I don't play very hard and don't play metal or anything.

I'm mostly an Evans guy but the salesman at Sam Ash talked me into trying a 13" Remo AmbX coated head. I haven't put it on yet. I want to get a some perspective on this head before using it because I'm considering going back and exchanging it if it isn't what I'm looking for. So I have a few questions...

Is the coated AmbX brighter or darker than the Powerstroke 3? Which will provide more sensitivity?

I know a coated Ambassador roughly corresponds to a coated Evans G1 so what does the Amb-X correspond to in the Evans lineup? And what does the Powerstroke 3 roughly correspond to?

Any insight is appreciated. Just trying to "get my bearings" in the Remo world.

The Powerstroke 3 is basically an ambassador-weight head with that built-in muffle ring. And I think the Amb-X head is a slightly thicker ambassador (correct me if I'm wrong) but not double-ply like an emperor.

I should know this as I read all these explanations at the Remo booth at NAMM, but I don't ;)

An Amb X will compare to a G14 and a PS3 I believe will compare to a Genera or a Genera Dry perhaps.

I'm sure an Amb X or G14 will be brighter than a PS3 or Genera/Genera Dry.

Ambassador x is 20% thicker than the regular ambassador. So it would be like a evans G12.... REMO makes a ambassador x14 thats 14 ply like the evans G14

Thanks guys. That give me a better idea of what I'm dealing with. Just didn't want to go with something that was too similar to the PS3, whether its Evans or Remo.

Back