The Beer Thread

When I visited Hawai'i I tried a beer from their local brewing company called Kona. The "pipeline porter" was surprisingly good! But of course, hard to find on the mainland. Or at least here in Tennessee it is. I have to admit though, if I'm drinking to get wasted, natural ice always does the trick. Anyone else?

I come from the land of micro breweries. A mainstay in Portland is Widmer, who is notorious for their Hefeweizen and their Drifter (a pale ale).

Gosh, there are so many good ones. Amnesia, Bridgeport, Hopworks, MacTarnahans, Deschutes, Full Sail, etc.

We also have several breweries that open restaurants/pubs around them, like The Ram and McMenamins.

Psssh! Anyone can like a good beer. What's so special about that? :)

I'm a PBR guy, myself...

Hipster beer lol. Just kiddin... But my god they're all over this city. Riding their hipster ass hipster bikes and such. In their defense, it is the cheapest beer in the bars. $2.00 all day long. Can't argue with that!

I generally prefer stouts, porters and ales, although anyone who thinks lagers can't be good has never tasted a Pilsner Urquell.

Our microbrews in Michigan can be excellent. I buy local often. Too many brands to name, but Bell's is very good and started the microbrew trend in the eastern half of the U.S.

I love the Belgians, nothing like a good Trappist ale or framboise. Duval is good. I love German beers of all sorts. For the better-known brands, Bass, Guiness, Stella Artois.

Most of the lines from New Belgium are great. 1554 (black ale) might be my all time favorite beer. I had one called "2 degrees below" one time that I recall being very tasty. Flat Tire is totally respectable. Their winter lager is good too, but tastes more like an IPA.

Also Newcastle. Love a good brown ale.

Arrogant-Bastard2.png

For some reason I can't pin-point, this beer seems to fit me.

Oh come on, as far as ultra-light adjunct lagers go, PBR isn't that bad... Great responses so far! Especially Watso :)

I generally prefer stouts, porters and ales, although anyone who thinks lagers can't be good has never tasted a Pilsner Urquell.

Our microbrews in Michigan can be excellent. I buy local often. Too many brands to name, but Bell's is very good and started the microbrew trend in the eastern half of the U.S.

I love the Belgians, nothing like a good Trappist ale or framboise. Duval is good. I love German beers of all sorts. For the better-known brands, Bass, Guiness, Stella Artois.

Michigan is home to two of the finest microbreweries in the country. Bells and Founders. 'Nuff said.

Shoot, I remember when Strohs was good beer.

Anyone here a fan of the white and wheaty? I loooove Hoegaarden and Shock Top White Ale. Those are macros, though. I don't think I know of any craft-brewed witbiers. I should look around...

A similar but sweeter beer from Atlanta is Sweetwater 420. It's great with a meal. Has anyone tried that?

I'm in Atlanta and a friend of mine owns a liquor store with a phenomenal selection of beers. The Sweetwater Brewery has a lot of great beers. I dig the 420 but lately I like the "Motor Boat".

Anybody else tried some of the Sweetwater Beers?

Oh, and you can't forget Innis & Gunn. Delicious.

Anyone here a fan of the white and wheaty? I loooove Hoegaarden and Shock Top White Ale. Those are macros, though. I don't think I know of any craft-brewed witbiers. I should look around...

Yea, I kinda like begium whites occasionally (esp when I need something lower in alcohol for longer sessions). Unibrue's (makers of la fin du monde) is very good (canadian, but begium-style), Blanche de Chambly. Hoegaarden is good. Ommegang Witte (US, but begium-style) is great, but I've only seen it sold in the big champange bottles.

Weird.. I can't think of any micro Belgium whites that are actually from Belgium...

I dislike beers with a lot of alcohol. Really my favs are

Miller High Life Lite
Michelob Ultra
Yuengling Light (America's oldest brewery..in Pennsylvania too !!)
Hoegaarden
Newcastle Brown

I drink nearly any kind of beer, but my favorites are IPAs, stouts and darker ales. I've been involved in homebrewing circles for many years now, and central Washington is home to some of the best brewpub, microbrew, and craft beer offerings on the planet. I was also fortunate enough to do a lot of globetrotting in past years, and have fond recollections of the many fine beers of Belgium, Germany, the UK, and Mexico. I also enjoy a nice, rich glass of red wine now and again, or a fine single-malt scotch. I don't have a drinking problem... I have a drinking dilemma!

Dont like:
Guinness or any other stout. Just too thick and heavy for me.
Budweiser. Seriously, you guys call that beer? I'm down with Millers and Coors and any other US beer I've tasted (which to be honest is not a hell of a lot)....but Bud is an abomination. Tastes like beer flavoured water to me.
Certain home brews by friends who shall remain nameless.
Anything lukewarm......honestly England, get with the program!!

Like:
Pretty much anything else......especially if it's someone else's shout.
I'm sure I'll always stumble across something that is not really to my tastes, but I can always finish it. It just may be time to change to something else for the next round. But all in all, I'm generally pretty happy just to have a beer.....as long as it's ice cold.

Love:
Crown Lager
Heineken
Stella Artois
Peroni
Carlton Draught on tap at the pub.

I'm pretty much with you mate.Bud is crap and I still can't understand it's popularity.That may change.Since the InBev takeover,it seems they have changed the formula,and by doing so,lost some customers.

We have lots of micro and micro/micro breweries in the NY metropolitan area,who make serious brews.

One such place is the Gaslight restaurant and brewery in South Orange New Jersey.The brewery sits in the back of the restaurant and is enclosed by glass.The food is mostly German,with a little American food thrown in for patrons who don't know what a good Roladin or Jaegerschnitzel mit potato balls tastes like.Must be my German blood.They also won't serve Budweiser.:) If any of you are within an hour or two of the place,it's worth the trip,but bring a designated driver.There's no way you're having just one pint.

A Brief list.I prefer mostly darker lagers and ales
Gaslight black and tan and Octoberfest
Harps ale (for the Irish in ye laddy)
Stella
Spaten
Hacker-Pschorr
South Hampton ale
Brooklyn Lager
Corona(summer only with a lime)
Spaten Weiss Beer(summer only in a pilsner glass with a slice of lemon)
Yuengling (brewed in PA and the oldest brewery in the US)Black and tan,lager and porter.Although I prefer my beer cold,this stuff is so good,you can drink it warm.
Crown lager
Amsterdam (not that light crap)
Blue moon ale

Thats just a short list.There's a beer import store a few miles away that has over 500 different beers in bottle,can,mini kegs,kegs and on tap for you to buy in growlers(large capped bottles)

I don't know how many remember this but in NY City, you used to able to buy tap beer in white cardboard 1 quart tubes,similar to Chinese take out soup containers,for 1 dollar US.

So many beers ......not enough time.But I'm dedicated to the cause.:)

Steve B

Last edited:
I thought it was a crime to live in Seattle and like bad beer!
I'm pretty sure it is, but with legal 420 and good beer all around, how's a guy supposed to feel outside the law? Besides, I like the way it drinks like fizzy water at practice. Otherwise I'd be morbidly obese and hammered all the time.

Back