Zildjian stick wax?

drumkiller77

So i love using zildjian stick wax. My hands are callassed from working on cars and its tough for me to stay loose and feel the stick and keep it in my hand.lol. But i was curious if anyone has used it for lubing bearing edges.. Not sure if its made of parafin wax or not could not really find any info on it..thanx guys

He is asking about applying it to drums, yes?

Yes,but he uses it on his sticks....yes?

Zildjian stick wax is basicly the same as surfwax,which is used on surf boards,kyacks ect.,and is a papafin/bees wax mixture.

Any quality carnuba parafin or bees wax will work just fine.Just use it spareingly.

Steve B

Seems like once in 5 years type of application would do?

I think every set of bearing edges I have seen felt like bare wood- no wax. Going to have to look around on this one.

I've used it on my sticks...........like the way it feels, but hate that it leaves residue on my rims...............oh well.

I've never used wax on any bearing edge, so can't help you there.

But the specific application he's talking about is on his drums, so the drums section seems like the correct section...

Well one of the mods must have agreed with me since it was moved to a different section,by one of the mods,so take it up with them..

It really not something I'm going to lose sleep over.

Steve B

I've been doing it for years.Firstly,it helps to protect the bearing edge and secondly,it also prevents an unprotected edge from asorbing moisture.

Lots of edges are unsealed.The wax takes care of that.The rest of your drum shell is sealed by a wrap,stain and clear coat or even an oil to seal it....right?

Why should your bearing edges be any different?I got this from Joe Morello by the way.

Steve B

Last edited:
Zildjian Stick wax if for grip. People use use or other products on bearing edges so they dont grip but slide easily for tuning. Buy a cheap white candle and rub that on you edges.. I use a cheap white candle on my sticks for grip. It just knocks down the clear coat that is slippery when wet. Doctor Sex was for surf boards will probably make a mess of your edges and I would stay away from it having seen many black sticky surf boards

I should have mentioned to use any wax...sparingly.Avoid the "if a little is good,then a lot will be better" way of thinking.If you can see it,then you used too much.

The reason I use parafin or bees wax is that it's neutral in color and scent.Candles are made out of parafin or bees wax with the later being more expensive.

Steve B

I use Take Hold, which is used for sorting paper files, and can be found in stationary stores like Staples, Office Max, and even Wal-Mart. Use vey little, though.

Thanx guys,,think i will stay away from it,sent an e mial to zildjian regarding the idea and no one has gotten back to me..and yes i do use it on stix and i enjoy it,,just was curious about the idea for bearing edges..but thanx for input gentlemen..

Makes sense Tama just never thought of it. Also have seen many OLD drums with out wax on the edges so I wonder if its really needed? I can see how it might ease tuning though.

I go for the white candle on my sticks too. Works very well and the more you play the stickier it gets which is nice.

Back