Are Mastodon good live?

Me and my friend are going to see Mastodon in a few weeks and on the TV performances the vocals aren't great and the drums are quiet but hopefully that's different live.
I know people who have seen them a few times live and said they were "a hit or a miss"
But I'm just wondering what you guys think.

Their bass player is great live, their singer not so good.
bass player is the singer man (drummer sings too some). they are great live. guitar player with the face tats is amazing. i have heard that sometimes they get to high, but when i saw them they were spot on.

Much to my surprise, their recent appearance on the live broadcast of Later with jools Holland was laughably poor, the overall mix was shocking, vox were worse, and the drum sound was indescribably bad. Left me confused, given all the good things that have been said, especially about their drummer.

Their singing definitely needs work, but see if there are any videos on the tube from the 'Live at the Aragon' DVD. It's pretty good.

The mix on the Jools Holland performance is shocking! Can't believe they would get it that bad....

Their singing definitely needs work, but see if there are any videos on the tube from the 'Live at the Aragon' DVD. It's pretty good.

The mix on the Jools Holland performance is shocking! Can't believe they would get it that bad....

Much to my surprise, their recent appearance on the live broadcast of Later with jools Holland was laughably poor, the overall mix was shocking, vox were worse, and the drum sound was indescribably bad. Left me confused, given all the good things that have been said, especially about their drummer.

I noticed most bands sounded awful on that Jools Holland episode. I was watching it and like "YES MASTODON" they came on, everything sounded awful! But it wasn't the band, the band before sounded awful too and the band after and the last band. The mix was poor, everything was everywhere

I wouldn't know, i missed them when they came to philly last november because i procrastinated buying tickets tillthey were sold out lol... but you should go, cuz yuou`d be pissed if they killed and u didnt go cuz of a few youtube videos.

Personally I think Mastodon are a massively overrated hipster band, meh.
Isis on the other hand are phenomenal.

I've got a friend who's seen them a few times, and not one complaint other than the fact that he walks out of the show deaf.

@toddy How are they a hipster band? That one's got me perplexed man.

I love Mastodon but both times I saw them live - once in Dublin, and I think once in France - it was dreadful. The sound mix was incomprehensibly bad both times, despite the other groups at the respective shows having decent to excellent mixes. For a band like them, that just killed absolutely everything that worked in the music on record. The playing itself was nigh on impossible to judge.

I've seen Mastodon a half a dozen times now and it's definitely been all over the map in terms of quality of performance.

The vocals do tend to get lost in their mix each time I've seen them. The most recent show I attended was in Montreal, QC @ Metropolis. That was hands down the best Mastodon show I've seen to date.

Brann Dailor is awesome every time though. Inspirational even.

Mastodon are probably my favorite band right now.

They're pretty good live. The vocals aren't very good, but I would attribute that mostly to the fact they don't sing very well. :D

Now if they'd only bust out more of the back catalog...

I like how the current fad is to demean something by calling it "hipster", when in fact following current fads is the "hipster" thing to do. I'm all for personal taste, but if you're going to try to insult something, at least do it right...

lol. it isn't a current trend. i simply think mastodon are sloppy. hipsters are by definition sloppy. therefore mastodon are hipster.

also i think you don't like it, otherwise you wouldn't have made a post about it.

p.s. following current trends is actually anti-hipster. hipster is being a trend setter and ditching said trend before it goes mainstream.
just a little factoid for you there. x

lol. it isn't a current trend. i simply think mastodon are sloppy. hipsters are by definition sloppy. therefore mastodon are hipster.

also i think you don't like it, otherwise you wouldn't have made a post about it.

p.s. following current trends is actually anti-hipster. hipster is being a trend setter and ditching said trend before it goes mainstream.
just a little factoid for you there. x

Really dude? :D
So counter-culture = hipster? But then how can there be a culture of hipsters? Or are you saying all hipsters are unique snowflakes? Going against the status quo has become the status quo. So all you hipsters/punks/bra burners are fighting a losing battle. Go listen to your "alternative" music...on the radio.

/off topic

lol. i hope you don't think i'm claiming to be a hipster.
i can't be in a counter culture, unless liking pretty much everything ever made and finding merit in all music can be considered a subculture of it's own? ahh... a musician.

hipster isn't a culture. hipster is a way of life. hipster is simply an underground snob. i'm the overground variety. but i don't claim to be better than anybody else. in fact i'm pretty much pondscum compared to some people in history.
mastodon will still continue to be an awful hipster band though, because I set out my definition plainly. enjoy x

that's ok, because i'm currently recording a song too. which is why i'm randomly trolling this thread (during downtime) :)
p.s. i don't particularly mind if mastodon write a song about me, i'd hope it would be better than their usual stuff though! maybe I am the muse they have been looking for? maybe not.
maybe metalsucks could make a news story about it if it did happen, that would be cool.

Back