Elm Snare

That price would be where I would be comfortable, getting people to shell out that kind of coin is another thing, I am sure you get the "but I saw one on line for........"

Thanks for the nice words though from you and everyone. This snare is getting alot of attention here and the two other sites I posted it on. I also found a 3 foot by 2 foot chunk of elm today. Someone cut down a tree part way and left it along some large pieces. I may bring my chainsaw and do some road side salvaging.

That price would be where I would be comfortable, getting people to shell out that kind of coin is another thing, I am sure you get the "but I saw one on line for........"
Yes, but trust me, some players pay double that for something half as good with a fraction of the man hours put into the build. You'd be surprised at the premiums that can be charged for a fancy veneer, & a "limited series run" under a brand banner ;) Just because it looks the same, doesn't mean it is. That said, all's good, & most players end up with something that makes them happy.

BTW, there's a reason your snare's getting a lot of attention, IT'S FANTASTIC!

I never heard about drums made of Elm, either.( until one year ago)

And than I decited to order snare from Antonio Drums.

We have been discuss long time what I am looking for, and finaly I give Antonio free hands to build my snare.
And here is what I got few days ago:

Antonio%25206.jpg

Antonio%25209.jpg

Antonio%25208.jpg

Antonio%252010.jpg

Its made of Elm too. Actually, he is now building me a complete drum set in Elm.
I have no idea before how Elm is sounding.
When I was searching on Internet, I did finnd your project.And som drums with "oute layer" of Elm, Nothing more.
Now, when I got my snare, I find it to be EXTREMLY sensitive, and "woody".
I do not know if that is some chareteristic of Elm, or it have to to with construction.
And when I hit withous snare wires on head, snare is singig for a loooooooooooong time.

But , its Nmice materiall.
And there is one Elm snare builder too - Canopus Zelkova. Zelkova is a Elm tree.

Wiki is not best place to find information... but let us trust this time:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelkova
I acctualy do not know how "close" or "far away" thtahs relativs are...

Antonio, I order my snare from, an drum set , recomended me Elm. I could choice maple, oak, elm, walnut and some more.... But he said that Elm could maych nice that sound I explain
I was not heard allmost anything about Elm and drums before that. Then I found your snare, and Zelkova( I know about Zelkova- but not that was Elm too) Could have to do with fact that most trees are goone in that "Duth Elm dessies", and that tihuse are left are expensive - I relay do not know.
Byt it have a buatiful wood grain. And says thats hard. And hard wood, "usaly" means even good accoustic for instuments.

Back