Travis Barker

Tre Cool and Travis Barker are incomparable. It's unfair to say one is better than the other. Their styles are totally different. I certainly like Barker's drumming more, but I wouldn't say he's "better". I wouldn't want Travis Barker to be the drummer for Green Day, they'd sound totally different (the same goes for vice versa).

Travis Barker is perfect for Blink 182 and he's a decent drummer. Period.

Regardless of what anyone has to say about him. I have heard many great things about his abilities as an instructor. In my opinon...thats a great thing.

you're exactly right - you cant compare their skill. nor can you compare any other drummers' skill. i mean, these two guys are in the same genre, and they're completely different - so how do all these guys come in and say that travis sucks compared to other great drummers? that's really more of the point i was trying to make.

to clarify, i never said travis was better - i just said he does more. there is more evidence of skill in what travis does in his music, but that doesnt even say anything for skill. i play myself, and playing with music is completely different than playing solos. so who's to say? but i do enjoy what travis does more than tre, and i think that has a lot to do with how original everything is that travis does. another point, again - he came up with all that on his own. copying it isnt too bad, but making it up? that is skill. and like raz said, being able to teach that to others is something to be highly noted, too.

and i could swear there are two songs out from plus 44. i dont know if it's true - i mean i got it off the internet, so who knows? there's the one "no it's not" but isnt there also "everything is alright" or something? or was that blink?

it seems im all about long posts...

Travis is just one of those icons u love to have as an icon when your younge and working in band...i mean real younge though! like 13 or tiny bit older...when i was that age i looked up to travis and dave grohl...them combined made me into a better drummer winning drumming comps at 14 i new it had something to do with icon drummers! travis may not b the best drummer but its his image and way he drums, some fills or techniques he does are behond me! i mean can any of u out there serously say u cud come up with the stuff he does...his solo's arnt hugly amazing...he doesnt go to much round the kit and to me a drum solo is more to do with drums then cymbals...but when i see his coolness and ability to punk rock people down to earth thats what gets me going and wanting to drum!

When a drummer performs and i can hear them play, then not long after i have the ergde to go drum...thats when u no u were listening to a good drummer! and i get that alot with travis. He's a cool rebel and i love that in drummers instead of some guy u dont even know the name to who sits behind the kit hitting a few drums...literaly!
All in all hes great and every1 noes it deep inside!

Rock on..

it's the same basic style yes, but i find huge differences between the two. travis messes about with halving the time and more interesting cymbal patterns. but it's true that it is mostly still the basic punk 4/4 beat.

Honestly, I had heard some BLink songs, and had quickley dismissed Travis as a...not interesting drummer....

Untill a friend of mine showed me some of the rudiments he is doing, and some of the more advanced stuff he is able to do. He started as a marching band drummer, so I guess that explains,

Re: Travis Barker Sound

I dont know if this is a little late or if you have already purchased the heads but I use the G2 coated and i like them a lot. Also you could try the EC2's ive never used them and they are fairly new but they are supposed to be in between a pinstripe and a G2. Hope this helps.

alright boys
here's the deal. i like travis a lot. he is my favourite drummer yeh. in fact, he's my idol. i go on most of these forums and stuff, and when the topic of travis barker comes up or something related to him, all it is is just a bunch of kids and drummers or whatever you wanna call yaselves just attacking the man. he is an extremely talented drummer. he does all kinds of stuff. he played in his school jazz bands and marching bands. he started playing by the time he was 4. he never took drumming seriously until his mum died at about 12. he got tattooed coz he didn't think he had anyone left to please so he did that and then became super into drums.

this man has played in latin, ska, jazz, reggae and "punk" bands. everyone rips him off as a punk drummer. don't call anyone a punk drummer. he is not just a punk drummer. also.
you mr bernhard. i am so dissapointed and angry with you. if you wanna say something about him, say something good. dude if yo're gonna put your drummers down, why even put him on this site. and don't go around putting down just a kid. that illbefamous guy. don't go around mocking him. that is just disgraceful.

sure trav gets stoned once in a while, smokes ciggies and drinks goes to parties and stuff. so what. just respect that. if you don't like it, then don't do it. just be real people and respect him as a person too. i try to incorporate his style and feel into everything i do and i play. this guy is a hero. he now plays all thjis hip hop stuff now. its really good to see and "punk drummer" as you call him, do other stuff. just coz he has a heap of tattoos doesn't mean that he's punk. you guys are just so blunt.
respect the man, he is talented. he isn't just the only drummer i like, i like all jazzers like buddy rich and art blakely. steve gadd too. all kinds of drummers. but theres heaps here to read so...it'll keep you busy and stop being so mean!!! :mad: haha

just play nice boys

Joops said:
mr bernhard. i am so dissapointed and angry with you. if you wanna say something about him, say something good. dude if yo're gonna put your drummers down, why even put him on this site.

(Ok, Paula Abdul. Let me introduce my friend Simon Cowell.)

I think you miss the point entirely. Bernhard has him on the site because he is a famous and influential drummer. Drummers are famous and influential for varying reasons. Bernhard and the likes (myself and a few others) appreciate what he's accomplished, we just don't quite approve of the "logic" of the people that come in hear heaping praise after praise upon a drummer who quite frankly doesn't play very musically, or interesting to anyone not enamored by cliche, formulaic pop-culture.

Also, I think you should use some capital letters in your posts to give your points a hint of credibility.

The entire discussion forum exists to discuss anything and everything. If we all just said nice things, there would be nothing to discuss. Besides, Bernhard has supported drummers he doesn't care for on several occassions. He has the best drummer collection on the net for a reason.

The topic of 'Travis Barker' and why he gets so much praise for being a rather dull and average drummer is perfectly legit. You don't think his antics and his appearance have anything to do with his popularity and it is all his 'awesome drumming skill'?

Last edited:
Dull, average drummer?

what the fXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX homie?

he is god forsaken creative and a half. plus he's got the appeal to influence.

dull drummer...i'm not just saying i like barker too man...i'm not praisin no one.
dude. he was into everything and still is.

he ain't dull or average. he is an extremely talented drummer. the man knows what he's doing and is always struggling to improve. to be a better musician..

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I take it back. Joops is obviously the well spoken one here, and Bernhard really is a classless fool for stating HIS opinion on HIS own website.

For the record, terms like "dull" "uninspiring" and "boring" are RELATIVE to the other drummers of the world. Notice I didn't say he "sucks", "can't play", "has no rhythm". Shall we keep the discourse thoughtful and meaningful instead of cursing and throwing around challenges?

What does Travis Barker's ability have to do with my ability again? Last time I checked, Roger Ebert is a movie critic with no acting credentials.

I get paid to play and teach drums. That makes me a professional too. I am famous: famous for ripping Sabian B8 cymbals and people's overreaching praise for ok drummers like Travis Barker ;-)

So instead of focusing on me, why don't you persuade me otherwise that Barker isn't an average drummer?

(i am placing an editorial bit in here Joop so i know you will read it: no swearing on this forum. one warning only - NUTHA JASON)

Last edited by a moderator:
Joops said:
you mr bernhard. i am so dissapointed and angry with you. if you wanna say something about him, say something good. dude if yo're gonna put your drummers down, why even put him on this site. and don't go around putting down just a kid. that illbefamous guy. don't go around mocking him. that is just disgraceful.

Yes Travis Barker is a good Drummer - not a kid.

Bernhard

i think joops made himself look a bit foolish on his rampage, but we're all friends now right?

ewanlaing said:
i have to agree about the fuel solo. i was not impressed. i think most people here could have played that. on my blink dvd there is a higher quality version of the other solo on this site and it's much better. at one point, you can't even tell what he's doing it's so fast. was he controlling the lights with a pedal for that fuel solo? cos he never moves his high hat pedal and theres a little mechanism next to him. that would explain a lot. anyone know?

I can clear this up, sorry if someone else already did. Travis broke his right ankle skateboarding, and had to buy a double pedal. He used his left foot for the bass drum along with the trigger next to his hi hat. Thats what you saw his left foot doing and the light was lined up with the music. If you listen carefully you can hear the music he's playing along with. That is also why he has a hi hat on the right side of his floor tom.

Hope this clarified this matter.

As for Travis or Tre? I personally prefer Travis. I have learned most of the songs. I know that if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be nearly as good as I am today. Just emulating what he plays works out chops and endurance. I just enjoy listening to a good drummer play. Not to say that Travis is the only good drummer. Not by any means. I am speaking of any good drummer. I just get into it.

i wouldn't describe travis as dull.
nor would i describe him as particularly fascinating. he is medium in terms of interest. i think the confusion here is that people are taking "dull" to mean "untalented." as stu pointed out, that is not the case. i can understand why people may find him dull. i find it harder to understand poeple thinking he isn't very good at playing. i think he is very good, but perhaps he is a bit too mechanical.

ewanlaing said:
i think the confusion here is that people are taking "dull" to mean "untalented." as stu pointed out, that is not the case.

I will concede and admit that his "busy work" is at time interesting. He thinks of little bell hits and pedal steps that other pop drummers wouldn't even think of. For me, though, his running rudimental single/double stroke snare solos are extremely dull. Dull as in boring and uninspiring. Dull as in when my students haven't quite learned how to groove yet, and they are just barely playing the patterns.

My actual disdain for Travis Barker stems just from matters of taste. What he plays is just not very tasteful. Playing lots of notes isn't always the best thing.

Boxcar racer stuff is his best to be honest, some really nice beats there.

Travis barker is a jazz drummer by the way, listen to his rudiments!

luke-e-p said:
Boxcar racer stuff is his best to be honest, some really nice beats there.

Travis barker is a jazz drummer by the way, listen to his rudiments!

Um, sorry, no. Jeff Hamilton is a jazz drummer. Please compare the two.

he is the reason i began playing drums but gadd weckle and all those greats are the reason for me to still play. barkers stuff is good it taught me to how to be fast. his transplants stuff is different and the newest transplants cd has a latin style song there is some jazzish stuff if diverse but alot of people think fast and famous when they hear his name. but hes rad.

Back