New DIY (not so SOS!) computer desk.

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
Well guys i was looking for a new computer desk and i went into staples only to find that the only desk which was remotely wide enough for my computer setup without being STUPIDLY expensive was out of stock. So i thought "bugger this for a game of soldiers, i'll build my own". So I went to ' diy store and bought some MDF and a bit of chipboard as well. I wanted this thing to last so i got 15mil stuff.

The surface is MDF with the bottom parts holding it up being chipboard. The work surface is 6 foot wide and 2 foot deep with a 2nd shelf for my monitors. This is 1 foot deep. I also left 1 foot on one side so i can fit even the hugest studio monitor on and whatever's left on the other side so i can put whatever the hell i want there. Underneath the shelf is space for up to 4 19" rack units. This is made out of the 18 mil birch ply that was my previous desk top. The fit on these rack units is perfect. Too perfect actually, because the devices fit snugly inside but because of the screws sticking out on the side i can't fit them in! So i'll have to probably cut the middle part down slightly.

The bottom shelves which incorporate the "legs" are also spaced so i can fit 19" rack units in them, should i desire. Don't know exactly how many but they're 2 foot tall excluding the 15mil of the aformentioned chipboard so if a rack unit is 1 5/8" (look at what you americans have made me do with your rack measurments in inches!!!) then that's quite a few i'll be able to put in! Otherwise they'll make great storage.

The great thing about this desk is because i built it myself out of thick boards, it's extremely sturdy and doesn't sway when i pull the top bit side to side. I reckon this thing is about 5x stronger than your average cheap PC desk you'd pick up at your local office supplier. If i decide to glue it together then the thing will be even stronger! The best bit about this desk though is the simple fact that a similar specced desk (6 foot surface, 2 shelves, 19" rack mountable storage) would easily set you back upwards of £200 if you bought it from a computer music supplier, this one including all parts, screws and brackets (i already had all the tools) came to about £45-50. Not bad really. Just to be different instead of the usual wood veneer i was thinking maybe some sort of fabric? Or maybe if i do finish it in veneer i'll get some AAAA grade flame maple and stain it purple!!! :p Anyway some pics:

l_be7584f6f4ab401294e002ea121481f2.jpg

As you can see i can comfortably fit one of yammie's finest on there, all 61 keys of it! The space on the left could also be used for a mixer/DAW. Tomorrow i might extend the top shelf so i can put the speakers on it as well.

l_c5f5dafa432148649676dd0b1843fa36.jpg

The rack mount space and the pillow that some of you might remember from an earlier thread of mine...

l_d1dd874c87e34de29e0c36bb2b8b9c8f.jpg

As you can see, i'm not foolin' around with this whole "recording" thing!

l_479bc58d122b47829f34869f544b5e80.jpg

The old desk with the birch ply top i used to make the monitor shelf. And my lovely drums :)

Well what do you lot think then? Be as honest as you like 'cos i'm chuffed with it :D.

Really liking the original Playstation. The desk is a good bit of work as well... I ought to buy a rack unit for my audio interface and the other outboard I have planned.

Really liking the original Playstation. The desk is a good bit of work as well... I ought to buy a rack unit for my audio interface and the other outboard I have planned.

You can always get me to build you one, one door or 2 sir? Carpet or vinyl? And how many UNITS do you want? :p only joshin wiv ya you can probably buy one for not too much anyway.

As for the PS1, when i sorted the room out i decided to move the telly into my sister's room (she's at uni in Germany!) and the playstation went downstairs to be played on the plasma (erm, i think?) 32" tv in future.

Sweet! aircraft-carrier sized desks really make your life easy.

Back