Double Pedal : Slave feels heavy?

takkatakka

I've just gotten my first double pedal. One problem I have is that the slave pedal is noticeably heavier than my main pedal, and it doesn't have much as much bounce as my main, and the spring tension is at max. Is that normal, or did I get the wrong pedals?

Your slave foot probably needs to learn to use it before you can start accusing the pedal but they won't ever feel exactly the same unless you've got 2 bass drums and 2 single kick pedals. Partly lag/latency/weight in the slave and partly because the slave beater hits a different area of the head. If you're in doubt take it back to the shop and hear them say the pedal is fine, then suffer in your unequal-footed-ness for a few years.

;)

Your slave foot probably needs to learn to use it before you can start accusing the pedal but they won't ever feel exactly the same unless you've got 2 bass drums and 2 single kick pedals. Partly lag/latency/weight in the slave and partly because the slave beater hits a different area of the head. If you're in doubt take it back to the shop and hear them say the pedal is fine, then suffer in your unequal-footed-ness for a few years.

;)

I tried both with my right foot, and I can't do the slave as fast as my main. I think I'll lube it

Last edited:
One habit I got into when learning double pedal was to use the left foot as much as possible in place of the good old right foot when practising (if not using the hi-hat).
Your right foot will most likely always be a bit stronger but the left will come up to speed eventually (switching to heel toe pretty much eliminated any left/right discrepancies for me anyway).
Which pedals did you get BTW?

First thing is what make of pedal is it so we can comment on how to adjust it. Yes it will feel heavier at first as the spring needs to wear in but on more expensive pedals you can adjust them to overcome this. Also the cam and beater angles can be changed to over come it. In time you will find that you can swap the springs over, as the right will get more wear.

I'd say that you need to slacken them off, do not have the springs on the tight side of neutral, have them slacker than neutral.

First thing is what make of pedal is it so we can comment on how to adjust it. Yes it will feel heavier at first as the spring needs to wear in but on more expensive pedals you can adjust them to overcome this. Also the cam and beater angles can be changed to over come it. In time you will find that you can swap the springs over, as the right will get more wear.

I'd say that you need to slacken them off, do not have the springs on the tight side of neutral, have them slacker than neutral.

I've tried doing some adjusting. I can't seem to slacken my pedal springs without sacrificing bounce. I have a single pedal that I've used for quite a long time. Should I switch the springs on it?

I tried both with my right foot, and I can't do the slave as fast as my main. I think I'll lube it

Is it brand new?

Is the footboard at the same height as the other pedal?

As the spring extended just as much as the main pedal?

Are both beaters both set at the same angle?

Are all the tension rods on the connecting rod tightened up?

If yes to all of those, I still think they will feel a bit different unless you wanna shell out for a demon drive or another pedal that feels perfectly equal. I say just learn to use it as it's your left foot that will be on the left pedal anyway.

Re: Slave feels heavy?

It's good that you feed your slave well. The Egyptians amongst other things didn't, and look what happened to them.

Seriously though, try playing both pedals with your right foot and measure the bounce with that same foot, because most people's left foot is a lying snake for the first good part of eternity.

Back