Travis Barker

mediocrefunkybeat said:
I think Weird Al looks cool anyway. We wanted the 'Travis Rulez' crowd away from here.. ah well.. *sighs*

Oh well, can't get everything you want. It was bound to happen anyway...

If you want to talk about tre cool then start a new thread. keep it organized. just a sugestion.
also we shouldnt judge a drummer by what they do in the band they are/were in because any good drummer knows what he should play and not play in the band he is in. just because travis barker and a lot of other drummers dont play things really hard is because they know that the music he is playing doesnt calls for it. in my opinioin (even though im NOT a blink 182 fan) travis's drumming keeps the music alot more alive and adds evergy to his band. the songs would all definitly not sound the same if he wasnt playing drums on them. And unliek most other drummers in his genre his drumming plays a mojor role in the rythm of the song and has his own unique style and sound.
Just so you know im not a harcore travis barker fan i just think his deserves credit for what he does.

ErNeStIn_182... its ok to have your own opinions on things, but there is no need for bashing other drummers or other drummers opinions. like Bernhard said, do you not like someone from frogseye view, or birdseye view... And why does it matter?

And when you call someone else not educated, rather than making yourself look 'better' it makes you look immature and even less educated than the person you said it to.

So before you think about putting other people down... Click here and read.

I think travis barker is good, but nothing spectacular. He seems to play well, but he isn't as good as other drummers out there. The thing is, I think that the people you were saying that think travis barker is the best drummer, I think those people are isolated in what they listen to. And If they listen to all those blink 182 styles of music than yeah...probobly travis barker would be the best drummer they know.

I think what most people's point on the board is that you can't have a discussion about Brian Blade with a "Travis Rulez" poster because they haven't heard enough of what is out there to form any other opinion. I don't hold it against anyone, it reminds me of my younger days when I thought Dave Grohl was god and that people who mentioned Peart were living in the past.

Re: Travis Barker Double Stick.

i always played with the vic firth swizzles and thought they were cool for different grooves and stuff, never liked the unussual balance, ill have to try those to see how they fair.

Thank you! I love blink 182 and i think travis barker is a great drummer. i know hes famous and all but hes still good!

Thank you! I love blink 182 and i think travis barker is a great drummer. i know hes famous and all but hes still good! I respect your other guys' opions BUT barker is good and a good inspiration.

TRAVIS RULZ!!!! LOL, Joking.

I remember my friend (also a drummer) once saying that travis was the second fastest drummer in the world (Phil Collins was the fastest), and i burst out laughing.

of course travis is good, but imo he's not as good as some of the rock drummers around today (e.g. Chad Smith, whom i already expressed my passion for, and Brad Wilk).
all his rhythms can be played on a drum machine! he's solos always sound like a drum machine playing a couple of fast beats and semiquavers.

Personally i think Tre isn't that good but then again i prefer him to travis because he's got flavour. but then again both of them are overrated. I'm not a big fan of pop-punk anyway.

I'm with Stu_Strib on this one. When I look at his video clips, I'm actually very disappointed. But we all have to understand something. Just because you've reached celebrity status doesn't necessarily mean you're one of the best at your profession. Many of today's celebrities can be classified as "entertainers" rather than musician's or actors etc. I don't have a whole lot of evidence to go on regarding Travis so I'm not going to bash his drumming ability. But drumming aside, he is clearly an entertainer, an attention-getter. If you walk into a room tattooed from head to toe, with a mohawk, believe me everybody is going to notice you. He didn't get his own TV show because of his drumming, he got it because he's an entertainer with a colorful personality. Again, I haven't heard enough of his drumming to pass judgement, but the parts of it that I have heard have left me scratching my head a bit as to why he's held in such high regard.

Another guy who gets so much undue publicity as a drummer is Tommy Lee. Unfortunately, you can rank his popularity in life based on this order:

1) Size of his p*nis
2) Who he's been married to (Heather Locklear, Pam Anderson)
3) Motley Crue and the popularity of the "Big Hair Bands" of the 80's
4) Drumming

Yet, because he's a drummer, so many people think he's an awesome musician.

Indeed he is extremely talented. I like his style of play how he likes to mix things up. Some of the things he plays is completely out of the ordinary and that is why i like him.

I don't give celebrity drummers any credit musically. At the same time, you don't have to be obscure to be good.

Just thinking, what celebrity entertainers can you think of that actually have high levels of artistic talent other than looking good and having nice body parts?

I just recently picked up two blink-182 CD's used. I listened to Enema of the State first since I had heard it was very good and it is. Then I listened to Dude Ranch which to me is nothing special at all. Travis brought a whole new dimension to this band and I have to give him credit for that. I haven't seen the videos or listened to much else of Travis but he is definitely a talented drummer. He has a style that fits perfectly with the punk feel and raises the music to a higher level. If a drummer can have that much impact I would say he is at least very good, maybe great.

Hey Guys!
I am also new at the forum but i already read this discussion and want to show you my point of view.
I think you can't just say travis barker is a good or bad drummer. he is an outstanding drummer compared to the majority and is definitly doing a great job at blink. the grooves are not very difficult but does that make them bad? I think that simple grooves and simple riffs are a part of punk music because that makes it possible for everybody to play it.
somewhere on this page it is said that " the drummer makes or breaks a band" and in travis barkers case he definitly makes the band and thats what its all about.
I also think that not the difficulty or the speed are important to make a good groove it is only important that your drumming fits into the song or the style of music you play.

see you around bucks

Bucks said:
he is an outstanding drummer compared to the majority

NO HE ISN'T!!!!!!!!!

Bucks said:
I also think that not the difficulty or the speed are important to make a good groove it is only important that your drumming fits into the song or the style of music you play.

[/QUOTE}

It's definitely not about how simple and complex the drumming is. But remember, just cause a shirt fits you doesn't mean it looks good. Sure, Barker's playing "fits" the music, but it doesn't really sound that good to me. At least, he does a good enough job not getting too in the way of the rest of the music.

darkcherryfade said:
NO HE ISN'T!!!!!!!!!

Bucks said:

[/QUOTE}

It's definitely not about how simple and complex the drumming is. But remember, just cause a shirt fits you doesn't mean it looks good. Sure, Barker's playing "fits" the music, but it doesn't really sound that good to me. At least, he does a good enough job not getting too in the way of the rest of the music.

Dark cherry fade you're a legend, i cant agree more another one of those overrated drummers. I saw his solo and to be honest i started to laugh cause he's on this website with all these top kick arse drummers with awesome solos and that all he has to show for himself, plus his stuff doesn't impress me at all and how he acts on his show....maybe i should stop there i would want to make any teeny boppers cry cause i'm drilling their favourite drummer! Whoops did i just say that? I think i did, oohh and i can't take it back now i've already typed it.

Actually everybody that agrees with me is a legend, i just saw this comment first and you know. And Tre cool sucks too, His technique is disgraceful! They say that when you are playing youre drums you look the same as when you're having sex, i feel sorry for the person he's shagging hehe, oh come on work with me people.

Back