Danny Carey

His father was a mason. Danny discovered this when he spyed on his father performing a masonic ritual with a sword. I don't know if that answers your question, Danny is not a mason and to the best of my knowledge, he does not use swords.

the guy is awsome. its funny alot of ppl (including myself) dotn realize the depth of his playing. he does a lot of latin influenced rythms with a rock feel over them. example in the song schism i saw the modern drummer transcription of the song and it said its odd time signatures one measeure of 5/8 then one measure of 7/8. well does anyone here know what 7+5=? ya 12. my teacher pointed out that he actualy thinks that the groove in the song is one measure of 12/8 because thatway u look at it the "core" cymbal pattern is actuayl a latin rythm. unforunately i dotn remember the name of the rythm but my next lesson is in 2 weeks so ill try to rember to ask him waht it was called.

also he si on drugs when he plays he does some kidn of drug that he says supposed to put him in a more realxed state of mind and has to do with the crap he beleivees in.

The thing I enjoyed most about his drumming is that he could be going crazy behind the drums but it would sound so soothing and relaxing. Very smooth and fluid.

He's a bit of an odd ball but a good drummer none the less. Actually TOOL in general are wierd but they are awesome, i don't think it's excentricity that makes him wierd tho, i don't no really.

beat1212 said:
the guy is awsome. its funny alot of ppl (including myself) dotn realize the depth of his playing. he does a lot of latin influenced rythms with a rock feel over them. example in the song schism i saw the modern drummer transcription of the song and it said its odd time signatures one measeure of 5/8 then one measure of 7/8. well does anyone here know what 7+5=? ya 12. my teacher pointed out that he actualy thinks that the groove in the song is one measure of 12/8 because thatway u look at it the "core" cymbal pattern is actuayl a latin rythm. unforunately i dotn remember the name of the rythm but my next lesson is in 2 weeks so ill try to rember to ask him waht it was called.

I always thought of Schism as being in 12/8 and 13/8 rather than 5+7 & 6+7. I don't think the cymbal pattern would be a deliberate latin thing, a lot of those bell patterns kind of seem to slip out with very minor modifications to quite mathematical stuff. For example, a double paradiddle becomes a bembe ride cymbal pattern if you change the last "L" to an "R" and stop playing the left hand:

Code:
Bembe:

1tl2tl3tl4tl
bell X X XX X X X

Double Paradiddle:

1tl2tl3tl4tl
RH   R R RR R R
LH    L L  L L LL

Like so. So I suspect he was really just following the 5/7 phrasing and the latiny vibe just slipped out because so many latin bell lines have that on-beat first bar, off-beat second bar (or the reverse) type feel about them as they have to fit with the different bars of clave.

Here is what Danny says..

"This beat was composed to be a simple accompaniment to Justin's beautiful bass line. Being in a compound time of 12/8 (5/8 + 7/8), the main goal was to let the natural pulse of the melody come through and keep it simple enough to let Maynard's polyrhythmic phrasing in 3 come through unscathed.The transition into the pre-chorus was done with the same intent but was a little more jerky due to the added beat that moved the time into 13/8 (6/8 + 7/8)."

A beautiful thing...

Scottylawton said:
He's a bit of an odd ball but a good drummer none the less. Actually TOOL in general are wierd but they are awesome, i don't think it's excentricity that makes him wierd tho, i don't no really.

I'm of the view that it's all marketing. You have to admit, they've done a great job of making this really mysterious image for themselves, but it's just as easy to read virtually everything they say as deadpan humour. Like they're trying to see how far they can go before they get called out as bullshitters.

There was an old interview with Maynard and Henry Rollins that I think crossed miles over the line into parody, which sort of made me realise that everything any of the band was saying could be read that way. I mean, seriously? "I summoned a demon into my bass drum!". I reckon he was pissing himself laughing after the interviewer left the room on that one...

finnhiggins said:
There was an old interview with Maynard and Henry Rollins that I think crossed miles over the line into parody, which sort of made me realise that everything any of the band was saying could be read that way. I mean, seriously? "I summoned a demon into my bass drum!". I reckon he was pissing himself laughing after the interviewer left the room on that one...

hahaha (damned 20 characters!)

finnhiggins said:
I'm of the view that it's all marketing. You have to admit, they've done a great job of making this really mysterious image for themselves, but it's just as easy to read virtually everything they say as deadpan humour. Like they're trying to see how far they can go before they get called out as bullshitters.

Yeh see thats what it thought but then i went to his website and it's full of wierd stuff, Yeh that must be one evil bass drum man, and what would happen when he changes kits does he have to move it ghostbusters style? haha

Scottylawton said:
Yeh see thats what it thought but then i went to his website and it's full of wierd stuff, Yeh that must be one evil bass drum man, and what would happen when he changes kits does he have to move it ghostbusters style? haha

All of the Tool-related websites are like that. The Toolband.com one just has some guy called Blair ranting about ritual magic and his latest curry recipe for weeks at a time. But that said, about half of what they come out with does appear to be total bulls*** - go back to the Aenima interview circuit and read all the Adam Jones ones where he claims to have used some bizarre lady shaving device instead of an e-bow. Then go listen to the song, note that it sounds just like an e-bow. Then go look at the example song list provided when you buy an e-bow and notice that... hell... that song is on there!

Then also go read the thousands of man-hours of fans trying to find that very lady shaving device, with no success.

Then imagine Adam Jones laughing his head off...

Works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
GHOSTBUSTERS STYLE! LOL. that's awesome.

finnhiggins said:
Then go look at the example song list provided when you buy an e-bow and notice that... hell... that song is on there!

Then also go read the thousands of man-hours of fans trying to find that very lady shaving device, with no success.

Then imagine Adam Jones laughing his head off...

Works for me.

I don't have any reason to believe that he would lie about something like that just for laughs. I can imagine getting some pretty neat sounds out of those shaver things. I think that e-bows and accesories of that sort are pretty obscure and commercial. Why give away your money to some guy when you could be having fun with your own household products?

While that was all a bit off topic... I think that one of my favorite danny carey things are his hi hat grooves like the ones on sober and that very short one in eulogy. Speaking of sober..I don't know if there is a fill that could sound any smoother than his intro into that song.

thetourist said:
Speaking of sober..I don't know if there is a fill that could sound any smoother than his intro into that song.

Yeah, the one he did on the 4-track demo version... I used to have it a bunch of years ago and if I recall correctly it was actually a wee bit harder than the album one.

thetourist said:
I think that one of my favorite danny carey things are his hi hat grooves like the ones on sober and that very short one in eulogy.

Yeah that groove is awesome! I also really like the hihat groove in 5/8 over Justins 6/8 bass in Lateralus. In Modern Drummer he explains most of the time sigs in the Lateralus album.

Can i also ask, does anyone know where to find some Danney Carey Transcriptions! I hope someone has a link!!! I have tried looking around the net, i just cant find many!

I'm really suprised we haven't seen a Tool Dvd released. I hear there's one from the Lateralus Tour in the works.

Does anybody know if Danny plays heel-up or heel-toe?

g

cicatrizoo said:
I'm really suprised we haven't seen a Tool Dvd released. I hear there's one from the Lateralus Tour in the works.

Does anybody know if Danny plays heel-up or heel-toe?

g

Heel-up all the way, I think. As for a DVD, I think the major reason they haven't done it is that it's probably quite hard to fit into their image. They've capitalised in a big way on staying mysterous and aloof, why change unless they need the money?

I still don't know how he plays the intro and especially the middle fill to "sober." It seems impossibly fast, like it shouldn't fit in the measure, but it does. It's absolutely incredibly. His fills in Undertow are so money.

i think he begins the fill with doubles (a roll on the snare) and as he progesses down the toms, he changes to singles. it starts really fast and chaotic and comes out i the end with a definite tempo/rhythm. it's the perfect intro to that song.... *SIGH*

he's got great ones, sober's one... ticks and leeches, the grudge, 46 & 2, schism, all the tool songs have great fills, rythms and creative stuff

Back