Buddy Miles

GBaslDrums

I honestly can't believe that no one has started this thread yet. Let's give the drummer some and discuss one of the most soulful drummers and musicians of all time, Mr. Buddy Miles. If you haven't listened to his playing on the Band of Gypsys album or on any of his solo albums, you are doing yourself a great disservice. He goes at the top of my list for most solid player to grace a set of drums. It is also my humble opinion that only Levon Helm could touch his vocals when it comes to a singing drummer. Ok, have at it.

Really only familiar with him through the Band Of Gypsys. Always thought Them Changes had a great vibe to it. Although more of an Experience fan, I'm glad Cox, Miles and Hendrix cut that live album. There's some great stuff on there.

I would also add that Buddy Miles qualifies as one of (but not the only) original funk drummers.

Yes a great drummer indeed. Very funky. Band of gypsies is super. And I like Them Changes as well. I am not familiar with his later work. I see that he played with Santana and Bootsy.

Band of Gypsys is one of my desert island favorites. Mostly wore out that album. His back beat won't quit! But I have to admit I've only listened to a little bit of his other stuff like the Electric Flag and his Electric Church album which was great. Will have to listen to more of that.

-John

Back