The Heel Toe Thread

I have only been playing my new Pearl double bass pedal for about a week and it came naturally to me, but when i tried heel toe, it was really hard to get the hang of. Now i can do it but with a couple inconveniences. First, my toe beats are much louder than my heel beats. How can i make them all sound the same and smooth? Next, i am having trouble keeping the same tempo for more than several seconds. Any suggestions?

4 all heel towers..endurance,i find it easy to play with vruk heal attache..it utelises the effectivnece more efficiant,make's for an smoth heal rebound instead of an hard one,since i play barefoot most of the time ,it more of an comfort..

I for the past 20 years have been a heel up player. I play double kiks and I use the ball of my toe to dance around the footboard for attain different dynamics, speed, and sensitivity. When I am doing intricate beats other than a steady double kick flow, I tend to lean into my kit to give it a bit more of an attack and not fall on my butt at the same time losing my balance. :)

Heel toe technique: Heel,Heel-Toe,Toe

I once used to practise the heel toe technique like this:
Heel toe on one foot (2 strokes) and then on the other foot Heel Toe (2 strokes)

After sometime, I find that playing the heel toe technique as doubles really sounds like crap, so I've been wondering if anyone here ever played the heel toe technique as single strokes?

Like this:

1-Right Foot: Heel stroke;
2-Left Foot: Heel stroke;
3-Right Foot: Toe stroke;
4-Left Foot: Toe stroke.

I haven't tried the heel toe like this yet because I only came up with the idea today.
But I think that maybe in this way of playing the heel toe technique, we'll get not only fast heel toe strokes, but powerfull.

Has anyone tried this?

Re: Heel toe technique: Heel,Heel-Toe,Toe

Of course you can, it's just a technique... I liken it to the mueller for the foot. Obviously it sounds different if you alternate than if you double the double independently but that is not bad just different.

double swiss tripplett ;) bassdrum roll

try this

1 right foot heel down
2 left foot heel down
3 right too down
4 left too down
5 right foot while to presed down pivot the toe over the pivit point foreward to make an extra note
6 same witht left

enyoy!

Good advice, I was breifly shown the toe heel technique (as seen by Tony Jnr?), but I have learnt the heel toe one recently, I found that due to size ten feet and a relativly small pedal plate at one point my toes were between the chain, but I have realised I could move my foot back slightly and play almost to one side of the pedal..

I would like to learn the toe heel now, as watching videos there seems to be much less movement than the wave motion that occurs in the Heel toe.

Re: THE HEEL TOE THREAD= really "MID FOOT TOO" ;)

fore those drummer whith a low budget...and big feet..
wich i mean buy the vruk....

ore..

place a high densety fome block/rubber u find mostley in inleysoles in schous to cussion the impakt...make sure it travels more than 2cm

under the heel section of youre pedal..

this way the heel toe rocking motion is aplifide by the foot ,infact it acts allmost like the vruk..
intead of beating the floor whith youre heel ,this motion is picked up by the coussening effect of the rubber ,and is nott really heel toe,but toe mid foot!

enjoy..

hello fellow drummes!! 3 months ...hmm maybe little bit more i was think i really dont have any chance doing this technique. yesterday i watched this video (which might be already posted and if so , sorry then) http://youtube.com/watch?v=SSKS9a9NuPc . first of all it remined me a feet move i was doing very often in classroom while i was bored. also this video shows you in a slow motion the normal foot movement of heel toe technique. so anyway i jut wanted to point that nothing is imposible...just wants you to sacrifice some time to get things working !!

cheers

hi, everyone
just to say i have UK size 13 feet and yes i use the heel toe tech'
i simply do not ware shoes when i am playing
and if you find you cant play with no shoes get your self a double peddle
thanks

ok you all no what they say about guys with big feet...they cant play the heel toe thing...so i have size 12 shoes and a dw 7000 pedal anyone who can help me leard this will be greatly admired...please help.
thanks in advance

skippy

Play bare foot or with the Puma Speed Cats! I use the peal eliminator powershifter 1 billion and a half wit the red cams. I removed the toe guards so i can get my foot up there too.

Bring down the heel HARD! that the only way you're ever going to get a clean sound double or triple or a consistent 16 or 8th pattern with one foot like.

you can perform the heel toe without your heel even being on the pedal. It's all in the amount of force thrown from the heel, the ball on your will still toss the beater in for a hard strike then when you stop forward it'll still have a strong impact!

Good luck broseph!

Play bare foot or with the Puma Speed Cats! I use the peal eliminator powershifter 1 billion and a half wit the red cams. I removed the toe guards so i can get my foot up there too.

Bring down the heel HARD! that the only way you're ever going to get a clean sound double or triple or a consistent 16 or 8th pattern with one foot like.

you can perform the heel toe without your heel even being on the pedal. It's all in the amount of force thrown from the heel, the ball on your will still toss the beater in for a hard strike then when you stop forward it'll still have a strong impact!

Good luck broseph!

PLEASE do not advise drummers to bring down their heel hard this can lead to injury..
There are plenty of videos that show you how to control the notes with your foot..
Tim
www.timwaterson.net

Re: THE HEEL TOE THREAD-vruk...

are there any other vruk users out there ,beside's well known T.Waterson?

i dont get many hits on google,youtube etc....

howcome?

I love the heel toe method as much as I can it's great for certain things to get the BD to come thru cleaner or more specific at higher rates of speed. way better results with qwik doubles, my first teacher showed me basic heel toe to roll your foot so to speak etc he said it gives a more "solid" sound than toe down at higher rates of speed and I think he was right...I also remember it was really discouraging at first, I think the key is to spend a little time messing with it every practice, to not give up on it or burn out on it, eventually youll find that spot to roll in, and the goal is NOT to slam your heel so much as rather you try to use the point of force coming in first with your foot like the angle of a plane landing etc then using the traditional toe down move on the second stroke etc.
cool stuff and interesting posts here thanks!

i like to work with different pedal tensions, it can really help. when i first started heel toe i could only pull off on a cranked pedal but the more i practiced i moved to loser and loser.

I have only been playing my new Pearl double bass pedal for about a week and it came naturally to me, but when i tried heel toe, it was really hard to get the hang of. Now i can do it but with a couple inconveniences. First, my toe beats are much louder than my heel beats. How can i make them all sound the same and smooth? Next, i am having trouble keeping the same tempo for more than several seconds. Any suggestions?

I've been struggling with the heel toe technique for a while now so don't feel bad. Best wishes on your quest to get good at it.

From what I have observed VIRGIL does what is called constant release at slower speeds....
BUT at higher speeds you'll see his feet slide ....and you'll you'll see on some vids his heels almost touch the footboard...
you play the first note heel down and the 2nd heel up except he starts LRR LL RR and so on you can learn these by letting your heel come down but eventually you just raise your heells of the footboard..sometimes STEVE SMITH explains the constant release the best on his DVD
start slow as this takes time and patience to develope.
Good luck
Tim

Tim,

I'm sure this has been posted, but I didn't want to go through all 11 pages of this thread!! Your youtube clip opened my eyes. I was doing it all wrong (trying to make the first hit by pushing my heel), but that short clip was very enlightening, and I was able to get a steady beat going within an hour or so. Thanks!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzXH4lXHmwM&mode=related&search=

hi this is my 1st post. I play with either a ludwig ghost, or a speed king. I have to say, the ghost is the most XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXg awesome pedal I have ever played. I play heel/toe all the time, I actually learned it on drummerworld from a derrick pope video- if you all know who that is...it's simple heel, toe. shotgun a beer. heel, toe. repeat. the trick is not using it. and then XXXXXXXXXX using it just at the right time. texture. anyway...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back