EMAD or Super Kick

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Hi,

Looking for some input here. I have been using the EMAD single ply head and love the sound I get. However with the plastic ring breaking I can't afford to keep playing these heads. Is a Super Kick 1 (single ply) head similar in sound to the EMAD?
Thanks

Not really. To my ear the SKs sound soft and dull compared to the EMAD. Lots of guys like them, though.

SK are fairly heavily "controlled", no? I play Emads without the foam ring. Just for laughs, when that retaining ring started splitting, I pulled it off, and I hated the sound of the head after that.

Well, I went with the Remo PS3. I have one of these on my Maple Absolutes and it sounds real nice. I just hope I can get the low end punch that the EMAD gave me? I am putting it on my 22" Oak Custom. I'm sure it will be fine with proper tuning. Don't have to worry about that damn plastic ring anymore. Evans said they fixed the issue, it seemed to be better but when you set up and tear down your kit so often like I do that's a lot of touching going on and sometimes not by me.

I have been thru many a kick heads, I live and die by the Aquarian Super Kick II . . . I loved the PS3 and remo's rendition of the SK2 (the powersonic), but the PS3 was to open in some situations, and foam ring on the powersonic quickly fell off (much like you, i do alot of set up and tear down). . i have now had the SK2 for pretty close to six months and it still preforms flawlessly. . .

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's suffered EMADs ring splitting stupidity. It happened to me within the first two weeks - before I had a chance to take my drums outta the practice room!

I'll be going back to the PS3 next time. EMADs sound a little too muted to me, even without the foam ring.

The only time I've heard an EMad with the large ring sound good to me was a metal drummer using a new Renown kit with the stock heads, no additional damping and really hitting it.

I've gone back and forth between the two on different kits and for some reason each kit sounds better with one or the other. My Pearl Sessions sounded better with the SKII, the Masters Customs I replaced those with liked the EMad with the small ring. The SK didn't work on them at all, dull and boomy at the same time. A Pacific CX maple kit liked the EMad as well, although it sounded good with the SK. But my new Renowns sound much better with the SK than the EMad they came with. They sounded nice and open with the foam ring removed and hit hard, but the SK is much more versatile.

The PS3 is a good head.

If you decide you need more muffling you can always add it. Some heads that come pre-muffled don't let you take it off when you want to.

PS3s generally don't sound their best at JAW, where most drummers tune their bass drum heads. Try a little higher.

I have the PS3 on my MCA kick with an Evans pillow inside just touching the batter head and it has a nice sound to it. I will try the same on the Oak kick as well. I'm just not sure if I can get the nice deep low thud that the EMAD gave me? I'm sure it will work out with the PS3. I will try bringing the tuning up a bit too. Thanks

I switch between EMAD 3's and Super Kick 2's
I like the EMAD because it definatley has more punch, and more volume, tunes well really low and brings the thunder.
I like the super kick 2's becuase they have a really warm tone and a nice round bass sound. less punch than the EMAD'S and what I don't like about them they seem to have a maximum volume. after a certain point they just don't get any louder.

Back