Drummer’s Place In Band

I think it’s less to do with being a drummer and more to do with your overall contribution along with the other members of the band you’re in.
If you’re not contributing an awful lot then it’s not unexpected that you’ll be thought of as less important.
If you are contributing a lot and the other members view you as less important then that’s a problem with their attitude.
On top of that we all have different drivers, some wouldn’t even notice or care about being sidelined, others need to be told they’re important.
As has been suggested, try singing backing vocals. I let a prima donna guitarist in a previous band do the backings because he needed the spotlight, he was an awful singer. A few years later the band reformed without him and I stepped up, the remarks from the other lads were along the lines of “why on earth weren’t you doing this all along?” . The singer from my other band came to our first gig and grabbed me in the break, why wasn’t I doing the BV’s in our band? Similiar reason, the guitarists were out front and just assumed the responsibility.
Listen to discussions and learn. I don’t read or write music and have no training but I’ve used my ears and my head and know what tuning up or down a step or half a step does. If something sounds wrong you be the one to suggest the key change or the stop or The breakdown.
If you’re playing covers or originals think about “composition” and suggest endings for songs that otherwise fade out.
Make yourself important. In my two bands the bass player books the majority of gigs, I’m close behind him, I can count on the fingers of one hand the gigs everyone else brings in. It’s not a criticism but they know what I bring to the table, we’re all friends so there’s no ego contests going on, but if it was more of a business relationship they would know what they’re losing if I went.
Last night I found a programme called Microsoft Publisher on my laptop. Within half an hour I’d shared poster ideas for the band that we’d be proud to distribute straight away. This was partly borne out of a recent line up change which meant our posters were out of date plus our supply is down to almost zero so the job had to be done because the member who’d left was the “poster guy” I’m not a technical wiz, it really was easy.
And out of all of the above, even if no one shows appreciation, at least you in your own heart will know that you’re bringing more than your share to the table which will help your self esteem. If the worst were to happen you bring all of your composition, booking, media skills to a new band who might be knocked out by you.

I think it’s less to do with being a drummer and more to do with your overall contribution along with the other members of the band you’re in.
If you’re not contributing an awful lot then it’s not unexpected that you’ll be thought of as less important.
If you are contributing a lot and the other members view you as less important then that’s a problem with their attitude.
On top of that we all have different drivers, some wouldn’t even notice or care about being sidelined, others need to be told they’re important.
As has been suggested, try singing backing vocals. I let a prima donna guitarist in a previous band do the backings because he needed the spotlight, he was an awful singer. A few years later the band reformed without him and I stepped up, the remarks from the other lads were along the lines of “why on earth weren’t you doing this all along?” . The singer from my other band came to our first gig and grabbed me in the break, why wasn’t I doing the BV’s in our band? Similiar reason, the guitarists were out front and just assumed the responsibility.
Listen to discussions and learn. I don’t read or write music and have no training but I’ve used my ears and my head and know what tuning up or down a step or half a step does. If something sounds wrong you be the one to suggest the key change or the stop or The breakdown.
If you’re playing covers or originals think about “composition” and suggest endings for songs that otherwise fade out.
Make yourself important. In my two bands the bass player books the majority of gigs, I’m close behind him, I can count on the fingers of one hand the gigs everyone else brings in. It’s not a criticism but they know what I bring to the table, we’re all friends so there’s no ego contests going on, but if it was more of a business relationship they would know what they’re losing if I went.
Last night I found a programme called Microsoft Publisher on my laptop. Within half an hour I’d shared poster ideas for the band that we’d be proud to distribute straight away. This was partly borne out of a recent line up change which meant our posters were out of date plus our supply is down to almost zero so the job had to be done because the member who’d left was the “poster guy” I’m not a technical wiz, it really was easy.
And out of all of the above, even if no one shows appreciation, at least you in your own heart will know that you’re bringing more than your share to the table which will help your self esteem. If the worst were to happen you bring all of your composition, booking, media skills to a new band who might be knocked out by you.

An interesting twist - our singer does nothing but sing...and i mean NOTHING!
Doesn't drive to any gigs - so he can drink - doesn't bring so much as his own mic stand-doesn't lift a finger to help load in or out etc etc

I get 99% of our gigs, I do the website,produce the flyers, print the set lists, programme the lights, and deal with the money - which usually includes paying the singers tab (out of his share) - all on top of my drumming duties.
I'm first in and last out every gig and always help with the other guys gear if i'm done before they are.

So despite him being front and centre and theoretically 'more important' - if it ever came down to me or him, I'd like to think I'd get the nod!

In our trio, I am certainly the least important on stage during a gig. We play mostly blues, or what we call jazz-infused blues. I stay outta the way of the other 2 guys I hold down the groove I do fills to their solos I use cymbal crashes as accents just basic stuff. If the audience notices anything except my shiny little kit then something is wrong with our sound. The guys I play with are fantastic musicians.

But I book all our gigs. I manage our social media etc.

I get paid the same as the other two guys.

I'm the least important on stage but I'm important in other ways.

We're a team.

I agree with what others have said. It depends on your contribution.
I tend to schedule our rehearsals and remind everyone about them. I'm the main communicator with the studio where we rehearse.

I set up our facebook and instagram pages.

I chose our logo and got us some merchandise made.

I've also been the main contact for jam nights and gigs, so much so that at the last jam night we were called up to the stage as "Gaynor's Band" (that's me). Not sure what our vocalist thought of that lol!

It's not just about being the drummer, it's about everything else you do in the band.

Get involved and you'll become more significant.

It did make me laugh when I passed a drum exam and our bass player said "I've never played with a qualified drummer before"!!!!

Everyone has a role. I'm GLAD that I'm not a part of those conversations (although I understand them). The faster they can have those conversations and get stuff figured out, then the sooner we can get to playing.

- our singer does nothing but sing...and i mean NOTHING!
Doesn't drive to any gigs - so he can drink - doesn't bring so much as his own mic stand-doesn't lift a finger to help load in or out etc etc

Unless he's Robert Plant or Aretha, I couldn't stand to be in a band with such a person. Its a team. His lack of effort and selfishness would raise its ugly head in discussions somehow. How long has he been your singer?

There is NO instrument...including vocal, that is more important than the others given that the instrumentation is actually needed in the first place.

I refuse to play with dismissive people or music where my contribution is not really needed.

Further, I will not get involved in something where I feel I am not heard(verbally re: the music and the music environment) or am treated as a second class member.

Respect you demand tends to be the respect you get....but don't be a jerk about it....just work your way out of bad situations and don't accept them as normal.

And yes...I would have the same reaction to popular acts that I might ever have involvement with...I would never allow being 'star struck' or 'resume building' to sacrifice basic respect...be it interpersonally or financially.

But I have positioned myself so I can do that....so I think I am lucky to maintain that self respect where some must 'take it' in order to survive.

Oh, this is common, even on my highest paid gigs, as they are usually amateur bands or choirs. Politics here are varied, but insecure, female choir conductor would probably be the strangest person to have a meaningful musical discussion with.

It's still the most misunderstood instrument in the group always though and it's rare than any other musician understands rhythm as well as a well studied and experienced drummer.

It also takes real pro, like not status wise, but really educated by self or others to have the attitude than everyone and their contrubution is of equal importance. Cherish situations like that, because it's rare.

“A lousy drummer can make a good band sound bad. A good drummer can make a lousy band sound great.”
~ Kenny Aronoff, drum clinic, Champaign Illinois, c.1990

“The drummer is the most important part of any band. He’s the glue to which all other instruments stick to.”
~ Kenny Aronoff, drum recording class, Sweetwater Music, c.2014

SW_Class_190.JPG

It’s not about the instrument as it is who has the power. Songwriters are usually the most powerful. With no songs, there is no band.

Then there’s star power and that is usually the vocalist. Though rare, even they can be replaced by someone who is even more powerful. See Bruce Dickinson and Brian Johnson.

Then there are the drummers who have the strongest draw. Those are not as common, but we have Tommy Lee and Neil Peart.

There was a documentary about Sting’s first solo release, Dream of Blue Turtles. In that documentary we see Brandford Marsalis complaining to manager Miles Copeland that he wasn’t paid significantly more.

Miles replies, “If you are not here, we get another horn player. If Sting’s not here, there is no show.”

If that doesn’t say it all, I’m not sure what would.

Last edited:
I think it depends on who else is in the band. Take the police for example. Sting was probably the best musician in the group so I would say he was the most important. Not because he sang or lead, but because he was the best and the others probably fed off of him the most. Copeland was probably the 2nd best, so the second most important. In Led Zeppelin I would argue bonzo was most important, just because everyone in that group probably fed off of his energy the most because of his amazing talent. People will disagree with me, but that's just my opinion, so if you want to be more important in the group then you should work on your craft more and get better. If I played drums for a huge act like Jimi Hendrix or Elton John, I wouldn't mind being among the least important in the group

Just work hard, be the best you can be, stay humble and appreciate your bandmates

I think you highly underestimate Andy Summers. Outside of the power Sting has with his songwriting, the Police are about one of the most balanced bands out there along with Rush and Led Zeppelin.

Another angle is the drummer is there for everyone else. It is the job description. A drummer's role IMO...best case scenario...is someone who can freely give, musically speaking, so the others can shine. Doing that automatically makes the drummer shine, at least to the other musicians.

A good drummer can make a lousy band sound great

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Mr. Aronoff

A lousy band will have weak vocals and a bad mix. The best drummer in the world aint gonna help that :)

He probably meant "lousy" from his professional perspective where lousy takes on a different meaning. He needs to go see more bar bands and open mic jams :)

I think you highly underestimate Andy Summers. Outside of the power Sting has with his songwriting, the Police are about one of the most balanced bands out there along with Rush and Led Zeppelin.

I think The Police was a truly gifted 3 piece where every player's style made it one of the top bands ever.

Another angle is the drummer is there for everyone else. It is the job description. A drummer's role IMO...best case scenario...is someone who can freely give, musically speaking, so the others can shine. Doing that automatically makes the drummer shine, at least to the other musicians.

I was wondering when someone was going to mention this aspect of drumming. It is the attitude we drummers should all start out with. At least until we can contribute more than keeping time. If we branch out and sing or learn other instruments, then we will be contributing more to the whole band. Of course the drums are very important to the whole mix. We build the foundation for the song. It's like when you see a house, you say that's a beautiful house. You never say that's a great foundation that allows the house to be beautiful. You kind of take the foundation for granted.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Mr. Aronoff

A lousy band will have weak vocals and a bad mix. The best drummer in the world aint gonna help that :)

I agree. Mr. Aronoff probably has not played with a really lousy band. However he is right about how important the drummer is. But I'd like to redo Mr. Aronoff's statement.
Here's my take: “A lousy drummer can make a good band sound bad. A good drummer can make a lousy band sound better.”

“A lousy drummer can make a good band sound bad. A good drummer can make a lousy band sound great.”

“The drummer is the most important part of any band. He’s the glue to which all other instruments stick to.”

SW_Class_190.JPG

What!!! I said essentially the same thing earlier in thread, which gives me dibs. Mr Arnoff stole my "words" so this must be a copywrite infringement like with Spirit and Led Zeppelin. I'm starting a new hashtag #Arnoffstolemyglue !!! Dammit. Drummers are the glue-our drum shells are, most often, glued together, and drummers stick together like glue. Coo coo ca choo I'm the glue man.

Arnoff is just wrong.

A bad drummer can make a good band sound bad. But a good drummer can never make a lousy band sound great. No way. Too much ego there. Lousy vocals are lousy vocals. Lousy guitar or keys or reeds or brass make lousy music.

Here is an accurate assessment: The drummer is there for everyone else. It is their job description. New Tricks said it better than Arnoff: A drummer's role is someone who can freely give, musically speaking, so the others can shine. Doing that automatically makes the drummer shine, at least to the other musicians.

Yup. What New Tricks said.

The really really good drummers around here stay out of the way of the other musicians and help make them shine. Hold down the groove. Use their drums as instruments to fill in and blend and signal changes. The blues guys don't take any solos. But the jazz guys - man the good ones when they start trading with the keys or other musicians man that can just make the whole arrangement shine. And tasteful trading and solos no fireworks needed. Think Joe Morello.

SW_Class_190.JPG

I think it's important to recognize things like you're sitting back there and they're up there, and they talk chords while you don't, and this can cause a division or de-classing to happen without any malicious intent. Stay in the conversation, and remain in charge of tempo and song starts and the general care-taking of the music and you'll be fine. If people start making decisions without you, stand up for yourself before the bad habits become the norm.

Pretty much this. Good musicians-- drummers included-- know that the drummer is extremely important.

Following Spreggy's comment-- to actually have something to say during a rehearsal, you have to be paying attention to what's going on musically, and have opinions about what will sound best. If you don't have any feelings about that, and you're just playing the drums and accompanying what's there, don't worry about it if the other players don't talk to you about their stuff.

Back