Ringo Starr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A7t6rbx39E

"The original song is good, and with John's voice it's better. Then Paul has this idea for this great little riff. And Ringo hears that and does a drum thing that fits in, and that establishes a pattern that John leapt upon and did the "shoot me" part. And then there's George's guitar at the end. The four of them became much, much better than the individual components." -George Martin on "Come Together", Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Beatles Songs issue

I am re-watching the Anthology series and am loving it. It is great to see Ringo play those old Luddies. And interesting to see the rickety old stages he had to play on and all the problems faced by the technology of the day. 100 watt amps at Shea stadium????

Ringo is a legend!

I am re-watching the Anthology series and am loving it. It is great to see Ringo play those old Luddies. And interesting to see the rickety old stages he had to play on and all the problems faced by the technology of the day. 100 watt amps at Shea stadium????

Ringo is a legend!

Remember those images. The cymbal stands look like they are ready to fall over at any minute, and seems like everything is creeping away from poor Ringo. Worlds most famous band in a huge concert and yes a very rickety looking plywood stage. We've come a long way. I wonder with all the screaming girls could anyone really hear them play? Would kill to have been there, or better yet, the Hollywood Bowl! Thanks for sharing, Dave

Ringo is a great drummer and musician. All of his drumming complimented the beatles songs. He sang, played, wrote some great songs. Each individual member of that group all together made the beatles what they where.

Last edited:
I can't call myself a drummer yet since I'm just heading into my first lesson but from a completely fan oriented point of view I feel that Ringo is highly underrated. I've always felt that Ringo's talent was in making what he does seem so simple when it's not. I've seen Ringo live twice with his All-Starr Band (08 and 10) and he has never failed to disappoint as a drummer or an all-around entertainer.

Seeing him live is probably one of the catalysts for me finally getting the nerve up to start lessons. Ringo and George were probably the most shortchanged Beatles but for me, they were my favorites.

and he has never failed to disappoint as a drummer or an all-around entertainer.

I think Mary needs to reword this. He never disappointed as a drummer or an entertainer.

Thanks for the correction Gruntersdad....that's exactly what I meant. Ringo is both a great drummer and all-around entertainer.

Ringo created the standard for a new style of music. However, rock is the first style most drummers learn because it is usually pretty simple. With a few exceptions, most "classic rock" is in 4/4 with a bass drum on 1 and 3 and a snare drum on 2 and 4. I don't know if he should be regarded as one of the best drummers, especially top 15 of all time. Papa Jo Jones, Art Blakey, Elvin Jones, Joe Morello, Tony Williams, and many others all had major contributions to jazz, which I believe is a much more complex form of music and is geared more towards musicians. I don't think he should get as much credit as the jazz greats. Not only did they create the standard for what was a new form of music at the time, but they also did it with skill and technique. I don't think Ringo is on the same level, just like (as a musician) I don't think rock music is on the same level as jazz.

Top 15 doesn't mean all 15 are Jazz. Ringos style and technique are different that doesn't make it less worthy. Some of it has to do with their contribution to music as a whole. Ask any high school drummer who Ringo is and then ask who Art Blakey is.

Ringo created the standard for a new style of music. However, rock is the first style most drummers learn because it is usually pretty simple. With a few exceptions, most "classic rock" is in 4/4 with a bass drum on 1 and 3 and a snare drum on 2 and 4. I don't know if he should be regarded as one of the best drummers, especially top 15 of all time. Papa Jo Jones, Art Blakey, Elvin Jones, Joe Morello, Tony Williams, and many others all had major contributions to jazz, which I believe is a much more complex form of music and is geared more towards musicians. I don't think he should get as much credit as the jazz greats. Not only did they create the standard for what was a new form of music at the time, but they also did it with skill and technique. I don't think Ringo is on the same level, just like (as a musician) I don't think rock music is on the same level as jazz.

You're really not going to get into that jazz is better than rock thing,are you?Plenty of rock players have crossed over into jazz as well as jazz players into rock.Listed to some jazz/rock or progressive rock and that music is every bit as technically challenging as mainstream jazz,but its still rock.

And Ringo does deserve to be recognized for his contribution to modern music.I would suggest you relisten to his playing objectivly and you will hear the swing and groove and the big pocket in his playing.Ringo as much as or more than Gene Krupa put drummers on the map.You can't compare technical skill by itself with musical creativity and musical playing of Ringo's style.

Steve B

You're really not going to get into that jazz is better than rock thing,are you?Plenty of rock players have crossed over into jazz as well as jazz players into rock.Listed to some jazz/rock or progressive rock and that music is every bit as technically challenging as mainstream jazz,but its still rock.

And Ringo does deserve to be recognized for his contribution to modern music.I would suggest you relisten to his playing objectivly and you will hear the swing and groove and the big pocket in his playing.Ringo as much as or more than Gene Krupa put drummers on the map.You can't compare technical skill by itself with musical creativity and musical playing of Ringo's style.

Steve B

I guess I should re-word that. No style of music is "better" than any other style. Jazz is more geared towards musicians, and rock more towards listeners in most cases. There are absolutely exceptions, I've listened to plenty of rock music I appreciated as a musician (Flood by Snarky Puppy is a perfect example, if you would consider it rock (it sounds like a weird name, but give a listen, they're all extremely talented)) and there is a lot of jazz I can only listen to as "background music". You're right, rock can be technically challenging, but not what Ringo played. I agree that Ringo and the Beatles were all very creative, especially on the lesser known tracks (like any other band/artist I guess). But all the jazz guys did the same thing. They were just as creative, but with a lot more technical skill. I just used jazz as an example because I'm more familiar with it than funk/fusion, latin, etc.

I think their entire catalog was well known by most listeners and rock musicians at the time.

I think you'll find that most bands, both current and from days gone by, have a degree of "fluff" or "filler" or whatever you want to call it on their albums. True fans have no problem digesting these "lesser known" tracks.....I've certainly found many of them to be more enjoyable than many single releases....but for the average punter, they're aware of what they hear on the radio (or MTV) and not a hell of a lot more.

Let's pick one album....what say Abbey Road? Survey your friends.....especially the non-muso's and non-diehards. Whilst I'm sure everyone can tell you who sang Come Together or Something or She Came in through the Bathroom Window, see how familiar they are with tracks like You Never Give me Your Money or Polythene Pam or Her Majesty. Even a classic like Maxwell's Silver Hammer is unlikely to be recalled by those who have nothing more than a passing interest in anything other than the radio tunes.

And don't be too shocked if a few of them tell you that Bathroom Window is a Joe Cocker track either. :)

I believe Ringo was the best drummer in his time. He had nice fills, and knew exactly the right time to do them. Just listening to Ringo playing gives you a sense of how calm, cool, and relaxed he was while playing.

Plus, you gotta love his hi-hats.

Back