Started my drum room a couple of weeks ago. Some progress photos.

NYDRUMMA

So first thing is first. This is my first house and the first project I've ever taken on virtually alone, so go easy on my craftsmanship. Up until I started this project you probably could have extracted more carpentry out of a set of drumsticks than my hands....yeah THAT BAD lol. A few things I've learned is to be patient and spend more time planning than you think you need. I haven't payed in two weeks and the room not being done is starting to wear on me. I need to learn patience. I've also learned that you will regret shortcuts (like not wiring lights in the ceilings or outlets in the new wall.

The construction was just a ceiling and one wall. I had help for the first 3 days, after that completely solo and that just makes everything take 5x longer.

Anyways rather than clog up the site with a ton of pictures (i don't know how to anyways) I thought I would just post these first couple of weeks to photobucket and just post a link.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I tried to comment on all of the pictures to give a general idea of what the picture is showing.

Any future updates I will try to link an image to the post.

http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae302/nytroopa/Drum%20Room/?action=view&current=IMG_3851.jpg

IMG_3851.jpg

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_3871.jpg

IMG_3877.jpg

IMG_3878.jpg

IMG_3886.jpg

IMG_3887.jpg

IMG_3909.jpg

IMG_3914.jpg

IMG_3923.jpg

IMG_3928-1.jpg

IMG_3932-1.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good!
You have been busy.

Thanks Bob. Yeah I've been working my butt off. I thought I would have it done by now. Oh well, I'm thinking no more than a week to go. I should be finished with the painting by tomorrow night. My acoustic foam came this morning. Then I have a little work to do in the closet. The carpet should be installed during the week then its decorating and trim work. So far I've managed to do all of this with only three minor injuries lol.

Every home remodeling project that I have ever done always seems to take twice as long as I had anticipated and the project always goes over budget.

My experience has been with bathrooms, kitchens, window/door replacement, etc.

You will be playing in your new room soon and the work that you did will have a pay off.

Wow, great work. Anyone asking how to do it right should check out this thread.

Are you putting two layers of sheetrock on the ceiling? The extra mass will really help to stop low sounds.

Thanks a lot Conga I appreciate it.

Yes I used two layers with green glue on the new ceiling and the new wall. The existing walls I left alone mostly due to budget and also because the foundation is behind them so it would not prevent as much sound getting out as the ceiling and the new wall would. Ideally i would have framed another wall inside of those using the same technique as the new wall, but hey I'm not loaded lol.

As far as noise reduction so far I am really amazed at the difference. When I used to be downstairs (before it had just a drop ceiling with fiberglass tiles) I could hear conversations above me coming through the floor. I could even pinpoint which couch they were sitting in. I can't imagine how loud me drumming was for them. Now if I hear anything from upstairs it is the sound coming through the door leading to the basement and coming in through where I haven't hung the door.

I bought a solid core pine door for the room, but I may try to find a more solid door or a steel door if I can and put the pine door upstairs. It's a paneled door and I think I want a flush door now. Once that is in it will make a huge difference. I hope to make a video to post on youtube when I'm done of the process and the difference in sound.

IMG_3888.jpg

If it's not too late, one thing you might consider is to not mount the outlets flush into the wall. Instead, mount them on the wall externally. The fewer holes you punch into to those beefy walls, the better they will perform.

studio_treatment%2015.jpg

Looks great! I dunno if it's too late, but I'd recommend to overlap the seams whenever you put up double layers of drywall. And putting a second layer of drywall with more green glue in between with the seams overlapped on the soffit will make a big difference. That was the weak point on my room and my wife noticed a big difference in sound even during the installation of that layer.

Cool room!

If it's not too late, one thing you might consider is to not mount the outlets flush into the wall. Instead, mount them on the wall externally. The fewer holes you punch into to those beefy walls, the better they will perform.

studio_treatment%2015.jpg

Brundlefly, your build was one i looked at often for sound isolation strategies and ideas. I havent installed any lights or outlets in the new wall and ceiling and haven't planned on it yet. I just have zero knowledge of electricity and how to run wires and would like to make sure I live through the build to see it completed haha. I bought some of the puddy pads for outlets but that's as far as i have thought it out so far. I will however take your advice when it comes to that time. Thanks.

Looks great! I dunno if it's too late, but I'd recommend to overlap the seams whenever you put up double layers of drywall. And putting a second layer of drywall with more green glue in between with the seams overlapped on the soffit will make a big difference. That was the weak point on my room and my wife noticed a big difference in sound even during the installation of that layer.

Cool room!

Thanks Bill, I actually did overlap the seams for the soffit more by accident than anything else lol. I did it as much as I could for the rest of the ceiling. This was my first drywall job and I definitely could have done better about overlapping seams.

Thanks guys I was having kind of a lazy day today and now I feel a kick in the pants to get more done. Today it's sanding the soffit and some Home Depot shopping for a flush door, baseboard and trim. I bought a 6 panel pine door but I think I can find a better door.

Your room is looking great, the only pics I did not see were of the floor. Did you isolate that as well?

Great job!!! You are sooooo right about the patience and planning. I go over, mock up, go over again, measure again, mock it up again, etc. till I'm bold enough to move. I am a novice too so I've screwed up so many times I've learned to be patient and go over till I'm sure. I am afraid of electricity also (and for good reason as I've been lit up like a christmas tree too many times). I suggest a qualified electrician, but you may have a friend (my neuroscientist friend was an electrical engineer so he is a wonderful resource to keep me from killing myself or burning my house down). Keep up the good work-looks like the worst is over with???

Your room is looking great, the only pics I did not see were of the floor. Did you isolate that as well?

No, I'm having a new carpet and pad installed so that's about all i did. I didn't want to go too crazy with the floor since it is a basement...something to consider for next time though.

Great job!!! You are sooooo right about the patience and planning. I go over, mock up, go over again, measure again, mock it up again, etc. till I'm bold enough to move. I am a novice too so I've screwed up so many times I've learned to be patient and go over till I'm sure. I am afraid of electricity also (and for good reason as I've been lit up like a christmas tree too many times). I suggest a qualified electrician, but you may have a friend (my neuroscientist friend was an electrical engineer so he is a wonderful resource to keep me from killing myself or burning my house down). Keep up the good work-looks like the worst is over with???

I didn't plan nearly enough. The big mistake is no lighting in the ceiling. I bought some lamps today and they just aren't cutting it. I will have to figure out an answer to this one now...but its a learning process. Every mistake I make now I will only make once hahaha.

Thanks a lot Conga I appreciate it.

Yes I used two layers with green glue on the new ceiling and the new wall. The existing walls I left alone mostly due to budget and also because the foundation is behind them so it would not prevent as much sound getting out as the ceiling and the new wall would. Ideally i would have framed another wall inside of those using the same technique as the new wall, but hey I'm not loaded lol.

As far as noise reduction so far I am really amazed at the difference. When I used to be downstairs (before it had just a drop ceiling with fiberglass tiles) I could hear conversations above me coming through the floor. I could even pinpoint which couch they were sitting in. I can't imagine how loud me drumming was for them. Now if I hear anything from upstairs it is the sound coming through the door leading to the basement and coming in through where I haven't hung the door.

I bought a solid core pine door for the room, but I may try to find a more solid door or a steel door if I can and put the pine door upstairs. It's a paneled door and I think I want a flush door now. Once that is in it will make a huge difference. I hope to make a video to post on youtube when I'm done of the process and the difference in sound.

You are definitely doing it right. The only things that stop low frequency sound are mass and space. Two layers of sheetrock will definitely kill sound. Hell, if you are feeling gung-ho, a third layer would be outrageous - you'd have a crypt! If your hinges will handle it, have you thought about putting sheetrock on the door as well? You could even maybe put some kind of plastic or rubber flange around the door to further seal it off and trim off sheetrock on the door.

Your ideas for the ventilation system are great. I would also urge you to consider a ceiling fan. It is a good way to improve your comfort.

I'm envious. You are building a great room there! Impressive skillz you got for being a novice! I suppose it helps to have a personal end result in mind before you begin!

I like the metal ceiling studs. What are they called and where did you find them? They look like what I could use in my basement. Thanks!

Way to go on the build, looks really good. What are the dimensions?

Ok more updated photos on what I did this past weekend.

Carpet was installed and I painted the walls and ceiling.

IMG_3950.jpg

Another shot of the carpet and ceiling:

IMG_3948.jpg

Got some foam mounted on the walls:

IMG_3955.jpg

Got one of my kits in now:

IMG_3963.jpg

Another shot:

IMG_3966.jpg

I still have a lot to do. Now it's in the details. I still have more foam to mount and will likely order more for the other side of the room. I decided to install track lighting also as the dark room really kills the light. I also have to get outlet covers and trim. I ordered a solid core door that will arrive in 3 weeks and I also have to finish the closet. All in all I am pretty happy though. If I can do this with minimal help, anyone can.

Specgrade: I believe you are referring to the Hat channel. That is to prevent sound being conducted from your wall being screwed directly to the joists. The channel gets mounted onto clips screwed to the joists with one screw. This reduces the surface area that contacts the joist. I found it at my local drywall supply company. It's 7/8 in 20 gauge hat channel. Or they are also called furring channel/strips.

My room is about 17 1/2 ft. by 14 3/4 ft.

Ok more updated photos on what I did this past weekend.

Carpet was installed and I painted the walls and ceiling.

My room is about 17 1/2 ft. by 14 3/4 ft.

Sweet! Everyone should have a drum room. It's so nice to be able to play any time you want and not worry about who you're going to bother. And as someone I work with pointed out, it effectively doubles as a "murder room." You know, just in case you ever need one of those in a pinch.

Sweet! Everyone should have a drum room. It's so nice to be able to play any time you want and not worry about who you're going to bother. And as someone I work with pointed out, it effectively doubles as a "murder room." You know, just in case you ever need one of those in a pinch.

Hahahaha! Yeah it's great having that room...I've already noticed I feel like it's my place and get more focused and enjoy it even more.

Back