Phil Maturano here!

New Online lesson ready to go!:)

Hi folks....just this little notice today. It was a big one to edit but its finally done. Hope you like it.
===============================
New Online lesson Video!! Specialty Phrasing Series- Groups of 7 using 16th notes!!
In this video lesson we are going to learn how to use another very popular rhythmic concept. Using 16th notes in 4/4 we are learning to create phrasing by accenting notes broken up into groups of 7. This creates wonderful endless phrasing opportunities and can create the illusion that you are playing in "7". It might sound a bit complicated but its not. Its an extremely useful concept that all players use, and of course it can be taken across many genres of music. Rock, Funk, Jazz, Brazilian, Afro Cuban, Fusion etc etc. Once you understand how to use this concept you will have a never ending flow with this rhythmic motif! Comes with PDF notation - 31 min.

http://philmaturano.com/onlinelessons.html

you can see a preview here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMQ6wblktuY

All the best
PM

Hi Jordan....
New Way to study!!! ONLINE EVALUATIONS!!!!!!!
Due to the overwhelming demand from drummers asking me to review their clips on Youtube or check out the latest cd's, I have created this new service.
I will now offer "detailed reviews" of your playing, Youtube clips, and any other material you have that you would like help with.
You must send me all links and material for review and I will send you all you need to know about your next steps, design exercises and/or recommend methods for you to follow. This a a new concept for communicating with drummers from all over the world and its like a virtual lesson.
Purchase - "Online Evaluation" - $50.00 US

http://philmaturano.com/onlinelessons.html

I'm sure it's been asked before (and I'm sorry if it has) but I have one question related to latin music for you. What are some good recordings to listen and play to if you are trying to develop your ability to play Latin grooves and fills? I have learned some Latin grooves from transcriptions, but I don't really have any recordings to inspire me or that I can play along to. Help would be appreciated.

Also, I love your playing Phil!

hey bro, thanks for the kind words.

if you search the thread here there are a bunch of suggestions spread around.-)

But to Start you off....
Muñequitos de Matanza

pm

Domenica 19 Settembre si apre la rassegna di concerti del GO WEST. Da New York, PHIL MATURANO batterista latin jazz fra i più forti al mondo nonché eccezionale didatta, con ETTORE CARUCCI al piano VITO DI MODUGNO al basso, per il concerto di apertura della stagione 2010/11 del GO WEST.
E’ un concerto di saluto da parte di Phil che dopo molti mesi di permanenza in Europa, fra Inghilterra, Germania ed Italia, torna a casa a stampare il suo ultimo DVD. E’ partito da casa con una bozza del lavoro approntata, ha approfittato del tour che alcuni musicisti europei glia hanno organizzato (in Italia Alessandro Napolitano), per decidere poi di rimanere lontano da NEW YORK a cercare nuove fonti di ispirazione.
Per qualche mese ospite in una residenza estiva in totale solitudine e concentrazione con l’aiuto del nostro mare d’inverno, il lavoro si è sviluppato alla grande, il DVD (sul quale c'è anche un brano dedicato al direttore artistico del GO WEST, "Ciccio's Song" ) , si è completato con la permanenza di qualche mese in Germania.
Da qualche è mese tornato in Italia ed ospite della accademia di musica “FRANCISCO TARREGA” di Talsano, nel quale Phil ha affinato e completato il lavoro interagendo con musicisti di tutta la puglia ma soprattutto di tutta l’area jonica con alcune puntatine a Roma e Milano dove è stato invitato per alcune sessioni in studio.
Il lavoro è pronto prima di tornare in America per stampare il suo lavoro Phil ha chiesto di organizzare un concerto di saluto nel quale presenterà alcuni dei brani, prima del concerto anche un seminario che è aperto a tutti i batteristi che vorrano confrontarsi per un ultima volta con il batterista americano. A suonare con Phil Maturano per il suo concerto di saluto ovviamente musicisti di livello altissimo, al piano il tarantino Ettore Carucci ed al basso Vito di Modugno.
Gli ingredienti per un concerto memorabile ci sono tutti, per potervi assistere è possibile chiedere info al 3203552450.

Attachments

• 61616_152023434819067_100000342334121_345920_489848_n.jpg
    61616_152023434819067_100000342334121_345920_489848_n.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 698
Hi Cats! Lots going on lately. Just got back from Southern Italy where i did some concerts and clinics. I was there this time for 3 months. The main reason for my stay was to finish production of the music for the DVD. "Working the Inner Clock - part2"
This included...PRACTICING the music. :) I took 2 months in Italy to prepare for all the playing. Its Tons of material and I better be in top form for the shoot. We only get one week to shoot and the footage is there for the rest of my life so....got to make it count. Italy was amazing and I have to say I put on some pounds. It was brutal trying to avoid all the amazing food!!! Obviously I was not succesful hahaha. Now a diet and working out begins in addition to practicing heavily. All this is leading to the final stages of the shoot. We are getting ready to shoot in Köln Germany.

I would like to announce also that I am now proudly endorsing some new companies. Without their help, the project would not be possible. Stop by my pages and say hello or just have a look.

"Drumcraft Drums"
http://www.drumcraft.com/maturano.html?&L=12

Sabian Cymbals
http://sabian.com/EN/artists/Phil_Maturano.cfm

Compact Monitors
http://www.compact-monitors.de/cms/index.php

All in all so far...I have been working on the project for almost a year now. When it comes out, you will see why it has taken all this time. Its massive!!

I also invite you all to join my facebook page. The latest news is always there and many great drummers stop by all the time.

Many kind regards to all

Big Hugs
PM

www.philmaturano.com
www.myspace.com/philmaturanodrums
www.youtube.com/philmaturanodrums
www.facebook.com/PhilMaturano

Attachments

• 41327_459831767743_743042743_6852706_4882696_n.jpg
    41327_459831767743_743042743_6852706_4882696_n.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 675
Last edited:
Always looking forward to any of your projects Phil.

Your dvd still gets constant play at my house!

drummers intensive day duisburg germany!

here we go again for a drummers intensive day in duisburg germany!
so if anyone here is right now in germany, stop by and say hello! :)

phil ist wieder hier, frisch aus italien mit neuer energie!!!
und in den vorbereitungen für seine neue dvd "working the inner clock 2".
stattfinden wird der DI in duisburgs neuem wohnzimmer, dem goldengrün!!

also leute fleißig anmelden, entspannen und arbeitsmaterial bekommen für ein leben!!
anmeldung unter: [email protected]

hier noch weitere informationen!!
http://www.philmaturano.com/drummersintensivedays.html

bis dahin!

Ohhhh Yes folks! Its here! Drummers Intensive day Duisburg - Germany!
Nov. 6th - 2010 / A 6 hour intensive master class

Also- Concert at night with the "Phil Maturano Trio" all in one venue.
GoldenGrün club- Sign up at the official Drummers intensive day page! philmaturano.com/drummersintensivedays.html

Attend the Intensive day and get in the concert for free!!
Drumcraft, Sabian, Regal Tip, Compact Monitors, Remo, The IC2 team!

What you will take home to continue your work from the event.
My online lessons - Videos and books!!
1) The left foot Clave Handbook
2) How to practice Video
3) You've got to Funk a Drei - Audio Lesson (1/2 hour)
4) The "3" in Jazz / The Rhythmic Pyramid Effect" - Audio Lesson (1/2 hour)
5) Mastering the rebound stroke- Video.
6) Soloing concepts video
7) Groups of 5 Specialty phrasing video
8) Groups of 7 specialty phrasing video

Welcome to the official " Drummers Intensive days" page!

Outline
The Drummers Intensive day was started to serve the needs of drummers across the globe. After 17 years of doing clinics on a worldwide basis, I know first hand that players still have a burning desire to learn and improve their craft. As we all know this learning process never stops, for any of us. The question is always...who to turn to, and how to get time with players that have vast experience in their particular field. How can we even find them when they are not in our area of the world? Dealing with scheduling conflicts and expenses of a 1 on 1 lesson can also be a hurdle. So to make our drumming and our drumming community stronger, the Drummers Intensive day was started.

Central Concept
The central concept of the "Drummers Intensive Day" is to provide students with playing time in front of some of the best players in the world. In a clinic setting we have the opportunity to see experienced players play, showcase equipment, give playing ideas and inspiration. But only 2 hours of watching someone play can leave lots of holes and questions. And of course there is no time for participants to get up and play and have feedback in any way. Maybe many drummers are also hesitant to ask questions because of fear or they are simply too shy. I found that this problem is overcome by putting sticks in that persons hands and saying..."lets hear where you are". This removes all inhibitions and lets us all share the joy of our journey in drumming. While getting the best advice from experienced players in a setting that is both constructive, musically safe and has the best outcome for the participant in mind.

What takes place?
In this 5 to 6 hour journey into drumming, the hosts will guide participants through the area in which they have outstanding expertise. Participants not only watch and learn but also take part! When you are at a Drummers intensive day...be ready to play! When you attend, you must be ready to play on drumset and in front of everyone at the event. You will play to backing tracks, and play along with the instructor. You will then receive feedback from them as well as your fellow participants. That is what makes this event unique. We have plenty of time to accommodate all questions and explore the subject matter at hand deeply and thoroughly.

For all info and sign up go here.......
http://philmaturano.com/drummersintensivedays.html

Attachments

• flyersm.jpg
    flyersm.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 717
Same to you PM.

By the way, I am enjoying using the book when teaching. Looking forward to the DVD.

Hey Phil, just a quick question for you if possible about the online evaluations. Is there a certain limit to to video sent to you or amount of styles? I have not registered, these questions may be answered at a later stage I don't know! Thanks man.

Oh and, a long shot, but would you EVER come to Ireland? A few good drummers have been here recently, Steve Gadd comes a bit, and Benny Greb just came to Xmusic inn Dublin. We have a shortage of that kind of stuff, be in clinics or just world class gigs in genres such as jazz and latin. Anyway, hope all is well, love your stuff!

Bryan

PS: I see that you were in "scotch and milk"! I love adam goldberg an have been looking for films with him, and you're in it? I'm definatly going to get it!

Last edited:
Hey Phil, just a quick question for you if possible about the online evaluations. Is there a certain limit to to video sent to you or amount of styles? I have not registered, these questions may be answered at a later stage I don't know! Thanks man.

Oh and, a long shot, but would you EVER come to Ireland? A few good drummers have been here recently, Steve Gadd comes a bit, and Benny Greb just came to Xmusic inn Dublin. We have a shortage of that kind of stuff, be in clinics or just world class gigs in genres such as jazz and latin. Anyway, hope all is well, love your stuff!

Bryan

PS: I see that you were in "scotch and milk"! I love adam goldberg an have been looking for films with him, and you're in it? I'm definatly going to get it!

Hi Funky! You can send me as many videos as possible. I look at all the stuff and make an plan for you based on that.

Ireland man! I would LOVE to get there. You have any ideas?

Hi Funky! You can send me as many videos as possible. I look at all the stuff and make an plan for you based on that.

Ireland man! I would LOVE to get there. You have any ideas?

Thats great Phil, I'm in the middle of getting videos together for college applications that I'm sending off in a week or so. I may pay the 50 squids and send them over!

I know a few guys who organize getting the big drummers over to Dublin. Like I said, they're held at a shop called xmusic, I saw benny greb there in November I think I was. I'll ask them about it, I am sure that if you actually want to come, they would jump at doing everything to get you here.

Just found out that the store in question don't stock Sabian cymbals, some issues there I don't wanna know! So getting a clinic there for you would probably be near impossible, ah well, can always dream! :) Good luck.

Last edited:
Thats great Phil, I'm in the middle of getting videos together for college applications that I'm sending off in a week or so. I may pay the 50 squids and send them over!

I know a few guys who organize getting the big drummers over to Dublin. Like I said, they're held at a shop called xmusic, I saw benny greb there in November I think I was. I'll ask them about it, I am sure that if you actually want to come, they would jump at doing everything to get you here.

Just found out that the store in question don't stock Sabian cymbals, some issues there I don't wanna know! So getting a clinic there for you would probably be near impossible, ah well, can always dream! :) Good luck.

Hmmm wow. Pity. There must be another place to do it?
Yeah man...would be hapy to help with your stuff. Let me know
PM

Back