Bill Ward

Thanks to you, mate. For bringing this thread back again, Ward´s performance on War Pigs is - great and genuine.

One of the best of all time and does not get nearly the recognition he should IMO.

Good on you, brothers! At least we are giving our grain of recognition to Bill Ward's drumming.

Cheers,

I Remember seeing them in the early 70s in Phila.,during their show,it was apparent that Bill was having some issues.The roadie had a towel on his head,and looked like he was about to pass out.As they finished,he had to be helped off stage,so im thinking they are not coming back out..Well they did,and he just ripped it up man.................Never forgot that...

Bill Ward is one of those great drummers with humble attitude, he doesn't boast himself.

The man beating skins through the years.........

Attachments

• BW5.jpg
    BW5.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 8,537
  • Bill Ward at Live Aid - Jul 13, 1985.JPG
    Bill Ward at Live Aid - Jul 13, 1985.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 5,654
  • BILLPRC2.jpg
    BILLPRC2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 3,062
  • Bill Ward drum kit.JPG
    Bill Ward drum kit.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 7,060
Happy Birthday - Mr. Ward!...Congratulations! 63 years old...and keep pounding as war pigs!

Guys I need some help. The band I'm in are doing some Sabbath covers, particular from the first 5 albums, the "classic ones". My question is how he hell did Bill get his drum tone/sound especially on the Paranoid album. I know he uses the butt end of his sticks for extra power but that's it. His tom tones sound like nothing else I've ever heard from other rock drummers. On songs like Faires Wear Boots, Rat Salad and Children of the Grave, ect for instance I could swear that the toms sound almost down tuned but I can't be sure. I want to get as close to his sound as possible.

BILL WARD! Cool. He is AMONG the best! He is an original, an innovator, a.............great drummer! I read an article several years ago and he said (paraphrased): "I am taking drum lessons now because I did not know what I was doing at the time"!

Humble, honorable, leader, and thank you Bill!

Bill Ward is one of those lowly drummers who has given so much, to The Art of Drumming.

Bill ward had a huge impact on me as a kid when I started, the way he drives the song and approaches fills really expanded my thoughts on playing. Supremely underrated god in the drum world

Hello to everyone.

Quite often,while watching a music video on youtube
I read comments like :

"wow,definitely John Bonham's successor(i've seen that comment from Mars volta videos to a Greta van fleet one recently etc)"

Same goes for beasts like Keith Moon,Neil Peart and so on.

Now,aside from the obvious part(each one of these artists is unique-you cannot compare*place your favourite name*to anyone and so on...)

I was wondering,how come i've never seen this type of comments refer to Bill Ward?

I mean
i understand that as a part of Sabbath he influenced a lot of metal drummers,but i cannot think of a drummer from the younger generations that seem to play or resemble his style.

Can you suggest some names to look up for?

Thank you for your time

Ironically I think that Vinny Appice fits Ward's style perfectly. Not really a technical drummer but a solid player.
I really like Tommy Clufetos' drumming but I don't think it matches Sabbath's sound or "look".

I think maybe because his playing just isn't that unique. He has his moments, no doubt, but for the most part it's very straight forward, basic rock drumming; compared to Bonham for example, who's playing was extraordinary for a rock drummer, technically and musically.

Frankly, Moon's drumming was about as straight forward as Ward's and he (Moon) is only idolized more because he was busier (he bashed his toms more).

Last edited:
I think maybe because his playing just isn't that unique. He has his moments, no doubt, but for the most part it's very straight forward, basic rock drumming; compared to Bonham for example, who's playing was extraordinary for a rock drummer, technically and musically.

Frankly, Moon's drumming was about as straight forward as Ward's and he's only idolized more because he was busier (he bashed his toms more).

No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3b6SGoN6dA

Bill Ward is brilliant.

When it had been decided that Ward was not to drum on Sabbath’s 13, Rick Rubin, the producer said they needed someone who could swing with power like Ward. And, while I really like Brad Wilk’s drumming, it didn’t feel like Ward’s groove.

Rick is a prolific and connected producer, and if Wilk was his best attempt at replacing Ward, then I’d say Ward has a very distinct style & feel that is not currently replicated by any young dude.

What is also surprising, given that Sabbath is Ground Zero for true heavy metal, is that over the decades metal music veered away from a swing feel. Is it that difficult to make metal swing? (Let the puns begin)

I've always liked his drumming and definitely has a unique style. I watched the last black sabbath show on tv and the replacement drummer was solid but Bill's unique style was definitely not there.

Back