Meg White

I don't like the angle on her bass-mounted tom.

hahaha! That's funny.

Seems like there's so much emphasis put on how it's "supposed to be".
"It's not 'proper' to"..... Who gives a flip?

People seem to forget there are no rules in music. It either sounds good, or not.

White Stripes? It's just music.

It's just a band.

You like it or you don't. It's no deeper than that.

Anything past that is purley sour grapes or whatever in someone's head that they are either pissed that someone "so lame" to them is "famous", or they think they could do it better, or the person should do things "the right way".
Who cares?

Go start your own band, get a following, get money backing, tour, and do it the way you want.

I don't really listen to WS. Some of it I like, some I don't. I like Jack's other bands more, but that has nothing to do with Meg.

It doesn't affect me at all if some drummer is popular, or recognized or not.

The "masses" have no clue on "good", if they can tap their feet to it, or hum it, they like it, and buy it.

Who cares how someone holds their sticks or tilts their toms or whatever?
It's not relevant at all within the music you hear.

IMO, time is better spent to do what YOU (anyone) do, and getting better at being the drummer YOU are, and focusing on that instead of being irritated by someone else's "lack of whatever".

Don't mean to sound "soapboxy", probably does, but oh well...

There is an old saying that says that any publicity is good publicity.
Meg is getting her fair share of publicity.
If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have known who Meg and The White Stripes were!
You go Meg!
You are unique.
I wish that my kit would move down the street as I played it.
I'd drive my kit to work!

hahaha! That's funny.

Seems like there's so much emphasis put on how it's "supposed to be".
"It's not 'proper' to"..... Who gives a flip?

People seem to forget there are no rules in music. It either sounds good, or not.

White Stripes? It's just music.

It's just a band.

You like it or you don't. It's no deeper than that.

Anything past that is purley sour grapes or whatever in someone's head that they are either pissed that someone "so lame" to them is "famous", or they think they could do it better, or the person should do things "the right way".
Who cares?

Go start your own band, get a following, get money backing, tour, and do it the way you want.

I don't really listen to WS. Some of it I like, some I don't. I like Jack's other bands more, but that has nothing to do with Meg.

It doesn't affect me at all if some drummer is popular, or recognized or not.

The "masses" have no clue on "good", if they can tap their feet to it, or hum it, they like it, and buy it.

Who cares how someone holds their sticks or tilts their toms or whatever?
It's not relevant at all within the music you hear.

IMO, time is better spent to do what YOU (anyone) do, and getting better at being the drummer YOU are, and focusing on that instead of being irritated by someone else's "lack of whatever".

Don't mean to sound "soapboxy", probably does, but oh well...

I don't even think I've heard a White Stripes song, nor have I seen her play. My only comment was that I don't like the angle of the tom. It wouldn't work for me. I'm not sure why you went ballistic, based on a simple statement like that. And I certainly have nothing against a female drummer. I'm currently teaching my 17-year old daughter how to play drums, because I think it's cool. You need to take a chill pill.

I don't even think I've heard a White Stripes song, nor have I seen her play. My only comment was that I don't like the angle of the tom. It wouldn't work for me. I'm not sure why you went ballistic, based on a simple statement like that. And I certainly have nothing against a female drummer. I'm currently teaching my 17-year old daughter how to play drums, because I think it's cool. You need to take a chill pill.

Well, your ONLY comment was the tom angle comment.

Come on, there's 8 PAGES of going back and forth...and someone just say's "I don't like her tom angle" and nothing else...

That's funny!!

The rest of the post was based on the many other comments. Wasn't aimed at "YOU" personally, just the general "you's" out there.
I can see how you maybe thought it was because I mentioned the tom thing further down. But, it was just the general "you's" in the other 8 pages.

Ballistic? I don't think so at all.

I just find it astounding that so many people just get out of whack over something like this.
It seems like people forget that it's music, and it's for people to enjoy--listening to it or doing it.
It's not a contest, there's no "end point" or "this is all there is" in drumming (or music) at all.

YouTube some White Stripes and maybe see/hear what the fuss is all about if you want.
Some of it's cool, some of its just OK, just like any other band.

The interview a few posts down is good.
The point of it was that this particular music he wanted to make didn't call for, or need a so-called "real" drummer. The point was to "just do it". How it comes out is how it's supposed to be.

The WS were nothing back then. Jack White wasn't "Jack White" back then either.
It had a 50/50 shot of being popular, or not at all. Just so happens that a lot of people like it, and it became popular.

What I said was true--for someone with sour grapes.
Want to do things a different way? Go start your own band, get a following, get money backing, tour, and do it the way you want.

The average person buying music doesn't care about how technically "correct" a player in a band is.
They want to hum a tune, tap their feet or pump their fist, and feel good.
The rest of the practicing, going through books and whatever, we do for ourselves and our own sense of accomplishment--IF we have the desire to do it.

Good luck teaching your daughter.
Hope she likes it...and like I said, my Grandmother was a touring drummer in the 20's & 30's..... one of my girlfriends was a drummer (she gave it up, but was good), I was friends with the 3 girls in the drum section when I was in high school, and I took drum lessons for a couple years from 2 other female drummers, so I don't have anything against female drummers either.

... my Grandmother was a touring drummer in the 20's & 30's..... one of my girlfriends was a drummer (she gave it up, but was good), I was friends with the 3 girls in the drum section when I was in high school, and I took drum lessons for a couple years from 2 other female drummers

Karl ... all those female drummers in your life - amazing!

Have to admit that my care factor about tom angles is zero too.

I saw Meg and Jack live and she's waaay better than she lead us to believe on recordings.

Sorry that the band is no more, but I'm glad I had a chance to see the duo.

I serve the song.

I like bonzo, john lee hookers drummer, mitch mitchell, elvin, tony williams, tim alexander, brain, and anything you can think of.

I didn't read through this whole thread, but will.

Questlove is at the top of the list, along with Gadd. They have discipline. If it works, leave it alone. They don't portnoy a killer groove. Portnoy doesn't kill grooves but he is in a "progressive" band. He isn't dave grohl, he isn't charlie watts. Portnoy, was , in a band that espoused technical mastery. Imagine meg in dream theater, it would work if she kept a beat, if you believe drummers should just do that.

We should, but sometimes spice is great. In the white stripes context portnoy would kill the song.

I am a whatever fits the song guy. Do I step out? yeah. Do I push the time? yeah. Do I cross the bar line and stand out sometimes? yeah.

Do I know when to NOT do that, and keep a beat, yeah.

My favorite thing about being a drummer is dynamics, good transitions, and accent parts of songs. Not doing things to satisfy my ego.

Serve the song with discipline, respect, and integrity, and your fine. "aenima," or "filles de killamanjaro" sound fine with complex drum parts.

Those drummers serve the song.

I believe you don't have to be complex or JUSt simple. You have to be a musician. If your style is simple, cool. If not cool.

I love dave grohl like I love Tony Williams ride cymbal on "so what" on four and more. You can't picka child you love most, but you love the fact you gave birth to all the children.

We all give birth to grooves, we just march to a different drummer.

Portnoy, was , in a band that espoused technical mastery.
That's a strange way to put it. "He is excused, he doesn't have to groove because he
makes music that is about technique."
Technique should serve music, no matter the style. And I wouldn't call Mike Portnoy a
"technical" drummer. He's quite straight. I think all he uses is 99% single strokes plus
a tiny little bit of doubles and flams. Maybe.

damn typos. Was typing fast.
What I was trying to say is that portnoy, for example, is technically profficent, and writes complex parts. He isn't just laying down a groove a lot of times, he does things that are far from simple.

That doesn't mean he doesn't groove, just he isn't like Harvey mason, from herbie Hancocks Headhunters and more.

You could play DT stuff, and keep the beat without all the technical wizardry, but it wouldn't be the same, since their music calls for a little bit more in the drum department.

More chops.

I was making the analogy that these are two different approaches, but both work and there is not one wrong way.

I love technical stuff, not dream theater. Gene Hoglan or Tony Williams.

People use portnoy as an example of extreme technical prowess. I used him to further my analogy.

I didn't mean he doesn't have to groove since he is in a band that is technical.

I was saying that it is just a different extreme, that he opens up more, does more rolls, more double bass, stands at the forefront a lot of times. Or does things that someone who just "holds a beat" wouldn't do. Meg holds a beat, doesn't open up, doesn't do double bass etc.

Suffocation grooves, they are technical. Weather Report grooves they are technical.

what I meant by they dont portnoy a killer groove. They dont put really attention grabbing things in their music. they just play a beat.

portnoy is a metal/progressive musician, it demands more of a drummer.

More flash, more transitional fills. It isn't the meters.

Those drummers just lay it down, and let the music speak.
People , like myself sometimes, put a little more to have others hear the drummer speak.

well, yeah.

Im speaking in very BROAD generalities.

Phil rudd, ac/dc or tony williams. Big difference.

I am saying just go with what works for the song and don't overplay.

As a teacher to a lot of beginners, her stuff is a great way in for them. It doesn't intimidate them and they can get into 'song forms' straight away.

Last edited:
I really like the sound of Meg Whites bass drum. It sounds really thuddy, her timings abit meh.
People think she's terrible but she's alright. You have to remember, we all started off pretty bad and then progressed :)

Back