Just got these....
Ludwig Downbeat dated 1965.
Along with DW Craviotto Snare.
Zildjian K cymbals (with A custom hats)

Attachments

• ludwig.jpg
    ludwig.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 3,359
Oh baby! You know, there are a lot of beautiful kits out there, a lot of the modern kits are stunning, but there is nothing like a nice vintage kit.

Here's another beauty....
0918082142edited.jpg

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I'm a vintage drum fan and I know what I'm about to post isn't exactly vintage but for 2009 this is the next best thing to it. I recently have been endorsed by C&C drums and highly recomenned anyone interested in vintage gear to check them out. www.canadccustomdrums.com Chow

Brendan Colameco
www.myspace.com/brendancolamecodrums

Nice plug!

I'm sorry but I have to disagree that C&C is the next best thing to vintage drums. It's really I'm going to the coast....

Nice plug!

I'm sorry but I have to disagree that C&C is the next best thing to vintage drums. It's really I'm going to the coast....

just curious, excluding "solid" construction, what do you think is the next best thing to vintage? for me, solid, stave, and segment are tops, then vintage, then high quality custom...

Guys, a lot of the mistique about vintage kits is who they were made by, Ludwig, Slingerland, Gretsch and Rogers were the big guns. Now there are a ton of new companies making great kits, especially these custom makers like C&C, but they will never have the popularity or staying power as those four companies I mentioned. That's what I think anyway.

"Guys, a lot of the mistique about vintage kits is who they were made by, Ludwig, Slingerland, Gretsch and Rogers were the big guns."

You forgot to mention Premier in that list for us old UK dwelling drummers. One of the first to manufacture todays recognised Traps sets.
Also, the company who gave Ringo Starr his first kit!

Yes, you are correct, sorry, but I did post a picture of a vintage Premier kit earlier in this thread.

Here's mine. I've been playing them live, alternating them with my Yamaha kit. I have the tuning dialed in quite well now and they sound freakin' huge with the kick drum just blowing out your bowels. Very, very fun to play.
Specs:
Vintage Ludwig 3 ply maple kit (clear maple interiors) in green sparkle a la John Bonham's recording kit.
26x14 kick drum (1974) with rail consolette tom mount and cymbal mount.
14x10 tom (1970) 6 lugs with tone control muffler ( I don't use them but they're original to the drum so I kept them intact)
16x16 floor tom (1970) with tone control muffler
16x18 floor tom (1974) with tone control muffler
All batter heads Remo coated emperors, all resonant heads Remo coated ambassadors. The kick drum has felt strips front and back to control overtones, that's it.

2wew043.jpg

Rogers, 8x12, 9x13, 16x16, 14x20 and a matching maple Dyna-sonic snare WMP. All matching Rogers hardware, but the high-hat stand isn't in the picture....I owned it for 35 years and sold it last year for an obscene amount of money.

Attachments

• resampled kit6.jpg
    resampled kit6.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 2,485
Well....I'm an idiot! I traded it for a new Ludwig classic maple set. The kit sounded and looked great, but it didn't have the same vibe as the vintage Ludwigs, not to mention resale value.
dsc01436oa1.jpg

Back