Pat Petrillo here!

Thanks Pat. There's no right or wrong answer, we're just picking the brains of the pros who visit our forum. Thank you for taking the time to answer. Jason is a teacher and he loves inspiring us with motivational ideas. Don't be surprised if he asks you something like this again!

As long as it's coherent, musical thought, it's achieveable thru repetition and breaking it down.

I truly believe we are all just trying to reinvent the wheel in some ways. I have found by teaching students to memorize immediately, they become more in tune with their ability to retain many concepts like orchestration, phrasing and ultimately creativity

lovely answer pat. thanks. how do you teach students to 'memorise immediately'? as a self taught drummer i played drums for 12 years before i began to even attempt to read...and to be honest i NEVER ever read while playing these days. i read and figure something out (from the latest drumming mag for example) and then play it by heart because that was the only way i knew how for more than 2 thirds of my career. is this what you are talking about? this kind of essential drumming memory? i feel that reading while playing would get in the way of my flow particularly as i often have to sing and play as well.

to refine my original question.

let's say that a pupil of yours was learning a totally new rudiment...say the flamacue. you had in a lesson showed them how it is done and by the end of the lesson you were satisfied that they understood the pattern but a week later they came back and told you they were having problems organising their practice. what practical advice would you give them in terms of setting up a schedule and/or break in the new rudiment. what in your experience has been the best way to organise practice? how long to play the exercise at a given tempo, how often etc?

thanks
j

hi pat

sorry to load you up with questions but here's another one...

in the August 1992 issue of modern drummer there was a great and useful article titled: THE 25 GREATEST DRUM RECORDS. because of it i bought steely dan's AJA in a time when i was almost exclusively addicted to AC/DC.
they wrote this article by researching across the industry but in particular they asked some of the top guys for their top ten selections. i'm hoping to do a similar thing here on DW and post the reults in a separate thread eventually.
So if you would be so kind please give us a list of your own top ten (perhaps your current top 10) records/albums. it would be helpful if you identified your favourite out of those and dropped in a line why it is so...but this is not totally necessary. think of it like if you were going to be locked in a remote log cabin for a whole winter, which 10 albums would you take, if 10 were all you could take?

thanks
j

Nutha;

Well, there are lot of variables..Will I be able to have my MP3 player?? :)
If I had 10 TRACKS, it would be different list than 10 ALBUMS...

Also, it's not NECESSARILY just for the drumming, but for the MUSIC..Thats what moves me the most.

But since you said 10 albums, and it is only for a winter, I would bring these..

1) "Magical Mystery Tour" The Beatles
Great Songs, and puts me in a great mood.

2) "Strength" John P. Kee
Inspirational message, motivating, great drumming and pocket.

3) "Funk Gets Stronger" (Compilation) Funkadelic
Compilations are cheating, but I need to hear 5 of the songs on here every other day!

4) "Jarreau" Al Jarreau
Great grooves, lyrics, uplifting, "Gadd"....

5) "White Album" The Beatles

Songs are great, thought provoking..2 discs!

6) "Gratitude" Earth Wind & Fire
I love live records, and this one captures the vibe of EWF..I get chills!

7) "Friends" Chick Corea
Gadd and Gomez..'nuff said.

8) "Songs in the Key of Life" Stevie Wonder
Inspirational and brings me back to my childhood!

9) "Syncronicity" The Police
Great energy and pocket!

10) "Hard Days Night" The Beatles
Some of these songs were the first I learned to play when I was 6 years old. This is why I am a drummer!

Perhaps that gives you a glimpse into my musical tastes which aided my development

All the best

Last edited:
thanks pat. i also love live recordings because there is an element of risk and as a muso i know what a stretch those guys are taking ...and yet doing so well. live music is always a first take. at the moment i'm listening to chris de burg live in ireland and i get goosebumps during the song called 'revolution'.

i like your list and will have to hunt the funk one down as it sounds important.

j

Hey Pat. Just read a great post you left re grooves.

I'm glad you are posting here.

Pat,
You are one of the best instructors that I ever had. You are really unlocking my gifts and talents as a drummer. Your book Hands, Grooves and Fills is very informative and I like the way you put it together. With every groove it gets a little more challenging. I like how you challenge me every week with the lessons that you have me do. Your teaching and your book is just opening up my creativeness and really helping me to be more free on the kit. Thanks Pat for all the time that you take with me and for your book/DVD.
John Cornett

Thanks, Dan!

For those of you who do not know, "Hands, Grooves, & Fills" is now distributed by HAL LEONARD/HUDSON MUSIC.

If your local drum store does not carry it yet, please have them order from it by calling Hal Leonard:

(414) 774-3630
THIS IS FOR DEALERS ONLY!!​
It will be in Europe and Australia in APRIL. You may order it as well, of course, thru my site on line .

All the Best!

Simon

Thanks very much for the kind words..

Alot of people ask how to do thoses kind of fills, and others, so on the DVD and in the Book, I break all them down slowly and show how to orchestrate them.

It should be in Europe soon!

All the Best!

I was looking into purchasing this book but figured I'd ask a few questions first. Well, first off I'd like to congratulate you on an amazing career in the drumming industry. Now, As far as this book/CD, what level and style of drummer would you recommend it for? The title of it leads me to believe that it can help just about anyone playing any style since it covers alot of the key aspects of drumming. Also, what should we as the user expect to come away with from this book? A better understanding of how to compose fills and grooves? Or does it simply just teach specific grooves without necessarily giving advice on creating our own beats and fills? Not sure if these questions make sense, if they don't, let me know- I'll try to reword them.

BD, Thanks for posting!

Basically, if you can groove and know some rudiments, this will help you take it to another level based on specific exercises and grooves that are challenging yet applicable. The grooves are useable, not a bunch of random "patterens". I believe everyone can benefit from it because of the play alongs alone!

People who have used it thus far have emailed me that it's easy to follow and understand, and its FUN! Thats very important as well.

You will have a better understanding of how to compose fills, because there are very specific examples laid out that you can then use to create your own movements.

Hope that helps, good luck to everyone, and thanks

Hey Pat,
I am a Percussion Major at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke and can't wait until you come down for the master class on april 2nd. I have bought your dvd the other day and it is great. Can't wait to meet you in Person.
Thank you!
Jason

Hey Pat!

I got your DVD package and I must say I was really impressed with the material...

It was very organized and well thought out....I especially like the fact the all the grooves have a play-along that really gets you to play that particular pattern...

I also like your breakdown of the hand/foot pattterns especially the 6 note groupings that we hear so often...

Great work mayne!

LD

Awesome, man, glad you like it! Work thru them, then post some video of you playing along to the tracks, and some fills, I would like to see how you do!

All the Best!

Hey, guys..

As a side note, I just got notice that "Hands, Grooves, & Fills" is now one of the TOP 3 BEST SELLING DVD'S/BOOKS at Interstatemusic.com!, after the Portnoy and the Lang. I'm very proud of the success in such a short time.

http://www.interstatemusic.com/weba...teMusic/ims/html/best_sellers/best_media.html

Anyway, thanks to many of you who have bought it.

All the Best

I am actually working out of that with my teacher, really love your "solo combo" ideas with the various rudiments. Especially the diddle riddle, thats my favorite.

Hey, guys..

As a side note, I just got notice that "Hands, Grooves, & Fills" is now one of the TOP 3 BEST SELLING DVD'S/BOOKS at Interstatemusic.com!, after the Portnoy and the Lang. I'm very proud of the success in such a short time.

http://www.interstatemusic.com/weba...teMusic/ims/html/best_sellers/best_media.html

Anyway, thanks to many of you who have bought it.

All the Best

Congratulations. I may just have to scrounge together some cash and pick it up.

Back