Lubricant

CocoV

Just putting on some new heads and found myself in trouble with some of the screws. Went to a music store, they didn't have anything but recommended wd40. I just read somewhere on the internet that wd40 is potentially the worst thing you could use.
What do you guys use to lubricate screws?

Oh, I thought it was a thread about mazola oil...

...and cling film.

How disappointing ...

... carry on.

Astroglide.

Oh, wait, read that wrong.

I suggest grease, not oil. Lithium grease is good, axle grease is ok.

However, if you have "having trouble" with screws like that, I recommend a tap and die set to clean up the threads. Screws don't normally need lubrication.

Astroglide wasn't the right consistency.
Anyways, yea, screws shouldn't need lubrication. This is just hitting my brain now. This one screw still won't let me get it 'finger tight', very frustrating.

I've recently had a discussion about this, and I heard the same thing about wd40. The guy I was talking with told me that you get the lubricant at the bicycle shop, but I for got the actual name of the lubricant. Maybe the bike shop person would know. But we were talking about lubricating pedals and stuff.

I use 3-in-1 oil on my tension rods.

F

I use just a dab of Vaseline on the tips of the tension rods. You don't have to coat the entire rod. This worked well with every kit I ever owned or serviced.

Dennis

I'm far too immature to read this thread without giggling. Well, I'll be 40 soon, maybe I'll grow out of it then...

I used to use valve lubricant, like designed for a trumpet etc. It was quite waxy and would adhere nicely to the threads. Eventually that ran out, so now I use heavy grease designed for bikes (it looks and feels a lot like Vaseline).

Astroglide.

Oh, wait, read that wrong.

I suggest grease, not oil. Lithium grease is good, axle grease is ok.

However, if you have "having trouble" with screws like that, I recommend a tap and die set to clean up the threads. Screws don't normally need lubrication.

Good luck finding taps and dies for 4mm threads! If you know of a source, let us know, because cleaning up threads like this is a good idea.

Otherwise, any machine oil is good for tuning bolts - motor oil, gear oil, lighter grades like sewing machine oil and greases are all fine. However, they will cause your tuning bolts to back out more easily.

I read somewhere that a product called "Krazy Grease" can be used for pretty much anything including drum lug screws. I emailed the company and the guy that answered me is a legit drummer. Long story short, I bought a tub of this grease and it works like an absolute charm. You put a little bit on your screws and work it in with your fingers, wipe off and it leaves a thin film coating on the screw. Shouldn't ever need to lubricate again. It doesn't smell like grease either. When I was done I had a lot left over so I gave it to my buddy for his boat trailer bearings. He swears by the stuff.

As a couple of others have mentioned.............been using Vaseline for years and it works well...............just use it sparingly.

WD-40 is not a great lubricant for this purpose. I suggest lithium grease (tiny amount), or a Teflon type of bicycle lubricant. I've used Vaseline too.

3-in-1 isn't a great choice either, as it can get gummy over time.

But in a pinch, they're all fine. You may want to take everything apart and soak/clean/lubricate at some point in the future (after ten years or so).

Back