REMO coatings?

cDark3r

Am i the only one who thinks that remos coatings are bad?
I bought a Coated Ambassador for my snare and after an hour the coating started to wear down. And after one month on my last head ther was a three inch clear spot on my head. Am i to violent or is it the heads? Anyone got more experience?

I haven't seen your playing obviously but my guess is a bit of both. Remo's coating has always worn off faster than the competition but they have their sound and don't want to change it. The coating only really matters for brush playing so there is some texture. Even after a lot wears off it has the same sound. My snare heads last about 6 months and don't wear through to clear for about a year. Try Evans their coating last longer though I don't like it as much.

I switched to Evans and I haven't looked back. Aquarian makes nice heads too. Try a new brand and I suspect you will be happier.

I wonder if the people at Remo are seeing these threads, it's obvious that something is wrong with the manufacturing.

I'll let you know though, that I've been playing a coated ambassador for several months now and the coating is not even close to wearing off, but I assume I've gotten lucky with this particular drum head.

I won't use coated Remo heads for this reason.

I've seen Gavin Harrison's snare head from the clinic he did here earlier in the year...two hours with maybe half of that time playing, coating was worn off about the size of a quarter.

I've just put a Coated Ambassador on my snare. After one rehearsal session, the middle is now smooth. It's weird because the stock head was a coated Remo, but it had a Pork Pie Pig on it. That one lasted a long time before the coating started to wear off. I even saved it just in case. Yeah, I might have to switch to Texture Coated Aquarians or Evans equivalent.

This is pretty typical for them. I bought a Vintage Ambassador head for my rack tom a few years ago when they first came out.

By the time I had the head tuned after, it already looked 6 months old. The coating wore off later in the week. That was the last time I ever bought a Remo product.

I went back to the Aquarian head that I should have stuck with in the first place.

Oh, and talking to the Remo customer service department is a joke. Save yourself the trouble. Just look at it as it cost you about $20 to figure out Evans or Aquarian make a much better product.

I put some new Coated Ambassadors on about a month ago, and so far, I (still) haven't had any coating issues.
The coating gets smooth, but that's just normal wear over months.

I got 4 snare heads in, and those are my usual Coated Emps with a Top Dot. It's clear film, with a clear dot that's coated, so we'll see what happens on the one's I put on a couple snares.
These heads usually last about a year before they go dead on me. The heads just get that tan, dirty color after a while, and get smooth in the discolored area.

I've used this model for around 8 years or so, and have only had one head get a couple small individual spots flake off. It's also a head I got probably around 6 months ago. It hasn't gone past the 2 (unconnected) spots---which is different that what has happened to others with a large area coming off.

People have talked about the issue longer than 6 months ago, but who knows when that head was even made.

Back