VIDEO: Lindsay Artkop - Night In Tunisia Drum Cover

lindsayannemusic

Night In Tunisia originally by Dizzy Gillespie. A cover by Lindsay Artkop.

Just put this video up. I used it in my college audition, and thought I'd share it on Drummerworld.Tell me what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSSakbN-UFs&feature=youtu.be

______________________________________________________________________________________

I recorded my own version of Night in Tunisia to use as a backing track for my live audition. This demonstrates my ability to play tonal instruments as well as show my interest in recording. I've been playing Bass and Guitar for about four years. I studied Music Engineering from a local studio for a year, and received two certifications in Modern Recording Techniques. I used Pro Tools to record myself playing Bass Guitar, Melody Guitar, Rhythm Guitar, Claves, Cowbell, and shaker. I edited in MIDI piano/organ chords/comping.

SONG FORM:

Introduction:

Light, airy sound effects during an unmetered drum solo. Timpani mallets on the toms emulate the "A" section melody. Drums stop at the end of sound effects, then intro bass line comes in. Drums sneak back in with the percussion shortly thereafter.

AABAC:

Bass Guitar, Melody Guitar, Rhythm Guitar, Claves, Cowbell, Shaker, and MIDI piano tracks play Night In Tunisia, in the form of "AABAC".

AABA Drum Solo

After the last "C" section, there is a 4 bar solo break for the drums. At the end of the 4 bars, Bass Guitar plays the bass line of the AABA form while the percussion plays 3-2 rhumba clave. In the "B" swing section, there are background hits made by the majority of the band.

Ending -- "C":

The whole ensemble joins again to complete the song on the last "C" section.

Sounds great to me. College already? Thought you were younger.

I heard one crash that sounded a little loud to me about a third of the way in but the rest was nice and clean (to my ear).

Best wishes with the college applications.

Lindsay, that made me feel so good on so many levels.
Great job!
I like that tune a lot, and when I see it performed that well I really feel good.
I spent many hours working on Tunisia :)

Back