New Kit!!! Battlefield Drums!!

mikei

Gold Member
Hello everyone,

I have been looking for a Bonham sized kit as most of you know. After doing quite a bit of research, I was about to buy a Ddrum Dominator. Great, great set. Anyway, I stumbled across a custom drum builder in the Southern California area named Battlefield Drums. Did some research and found out the owner used to own a portion of Truth drums.

He just happened to have a kit that was about a year old in Red Glass Glitter. The sizes are 26 x 18, 18 x 16, 16 x 16 and 13 x 9. Kit is in fairly good shape, made with 6 ply Keller Maple Shells. Chrome tube offset lugs on all the toms and bass drum. Floor toms have the suspension leg system that I am not too familliar with. If I don't like it, he will install legs at his cost.

The kit would sell for over 3K new. I was able to pick it up tonight with $1100. It was a total score! Here is a link to his website.

http://www.battlefielddrums.com/home.html

Other than buying new heads for the toms as clears came on this, the Bass Drum came with a ported fiberskin (sp) head in perfect condition and a clear PS 3 batter. He threw in a new PS 3 head also. Now, I will hear how it sounds as Karl Crafton has been kind enough to let me in on his secret sound and I used it on my other massive kit. Amazing is all I can say.

Here is a studio pic of the kit. The red glass glitter doesn't show in this pic at all. It is pretty mind blowing in person. I will have more pics up tomorrow. I am hoping that I can actually get the kit dialed in and actually play the Bonham kit infront of John Bonham's pic at my GC gig on Saturday. How cool will that be?

Mike

Attachments

• BFD.jpg
    BFD.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 4,452
And buys like this give me faith in the second hand market. Great score!

Awesome find mikei.
Im glad you found your 26" kick.

Im going to look into Battlefield drums,
look like they do good work.

Another great score in the "used" drum department. That kit will certainly rival any pro-level kit from any of the "big manufacturers", and, for the money, just plain old embarrass the Zep Accent kit ($1395 new) or the Catalina Club rock ($900 new). I remember seeing Battlefield at the NAMM show. Good looking drums. Keller shells can do you no wrong.

Nice kit. I really like it a lot.

Christian drum makers get all the work. :p

Seriously, though, you might want to let the guy know that his site has "base drum" on it instead of "bass drum."

Congats on the new kit. Battlefield drums have a really good rep. I'm sure they will sound great. You sure do go through some kits.

Looking foward to some pictures and sound clips.

Nice score.

Very nice. Now take your wife out to dinner and don't mention new drums to her for a year. You have reached the Rob, of FourStrings acclaim, for new drum sets in one year. Take some time now and play them and STOP SHOPPING.

This is IT!!!!!!

I promise.

I took my wife clothes shopping over the weekend. She has lost 60 lbs working out with a trainer 4 days a week. She actually has "Abs" now! I have lost a bit over 70, so we are kicking @ss! We both have max, 20 to go.

Anyway, spent all day shopping for her. Watched her try on literally 20 to 30 outfits. Gave my opinions (she really did look amazing in each one), so she is happy.

I did get to tune the 26 x 18 kick up this morning. Ahhhh!!! I forgot how incredible a 26 sounds when tuned correctly. Lots of BOOM and RUMBLE, but in a good way. Sounds better than my old Ludwig kick did. Might be the heads and or the extra 4 inches of depth.

Played just the kick with the snare, hats and a crash this morning for about 10 minutes. Playing Zeppelin actually sounds like Zeppelin again!!!!

The bass drum response is actually a bit better than on my Dub. But, that is due to the higher tension on the batter head. Very responsive. Doubles are easier to do using the bounce to your advantage.

I can't wait to tune up the toms today. They all have clears on them, so I will need to change them out!

I will probably end up putting the DW on the side for a bit. Need to get used to the 1 up 2 down again. Shouldn't take but an hour or so.

I actually have no need for a new kit anytime soon. I now have 2 completely different high end kits.

I am a very happy man! I will get pics today of the kit before or after our practice.

Thanks guys!

This is IT!!!!!!

I promise.

I took my wife clothes shopping over the weekend. She has lost 60 lbs working out with a trainer 4 days a week. She actually has "Abs" now! I have lost a bit over 70, so we are kicking @ss! We both have max, 20 to go.

Way cooler than even the cool kits, man! Congrats to both of you. I wish I could shed some poundage, but it seems to be the one thing I can't get myself to actually do. I'm not making excuses, just saying I know how hard it is, so good job. But don't forget, this forum has a rule that requires pictures. You brought up your wife, so it's time to show some pics! :p

Great find Mikei,
Totally stoked you stayed with a 26" kick the offset lugs are killer.

Congrats,
Bonzolead

Great find Mikei,
Totally stoked you stayed with a 26" kick the offset lugs are killer.

Congrats,
Bonzolead

Thanks Bonzo.

Once you play a 26, you cannot replace it. No matter how you tune a smaller bass drum, you just don't get that feel and sound.

At the 18 depth, it is INCREDIBLE. Wow.

I will post pics tonight!

Way cooler than even the cool kits, man! Congrats to both of you. I wish I could shed some poundage, but it seems to be the one thing I can't get myself to actually do. I'm not making excuses, just saying I know how hard it is, so good job. But don't forget, this forum has a rule that requires pictures. You brought up your wife, so it's time to show some pics! :p

I will post pics of before and after. My wife is so friggin hot!!!

Shedding the pounds is hard. But, with the wife and I both doing it together, it has made it easier.

Plus, the wife is going to a personnal trainer 4 days a week. So, just the financial piece of it is motivation. You don't want to be wasting money!

Thanks for the great post mrchattr.

Back