i am a serial snare head killer

I have my snare pretty level with my waist, and the distance from my knee to the rim is a good 6-7 inches. Perhaps nylon tips would be a good idea as well, as you get a sharp side when wood tips split, while nylon tips never split.

I used to break aquarian studio X on the snare every couple of weeks or so. They used to split in half at any given time.. I now use an aquarian Hi Energy, and no more problems!!!! Very , very tough.. I heard that they are so tough that you have to watch out on the tension and not break a wooden snare.

I use SD1 and Sd2 boleros a lot. Never broke a head, got blisters, or dented a head. If you have to hit so hard that your head dents, you are probably using the wrong stick. I would raise the drum, and get a heavier stick and let the stick weight do the work. Sd1s are maple, and lighter than hickory. Try a 2B or something in between. If technique is right, you should not get blisters. You are holding way too tight, and are not using fulcrum effectively.

You snare is really low dude! I think if you raised it up a little you wouldn't be hitting at such a "destructive" angle...

Also, you might want to try this head... Aquarian Triple Threat. It's a 3 play coated head.
You would think it would be choked and really hard when hitting it, but surprisingly it tunes up real nice and never chokes. It's a much warmer sound than a single ply, but still real nice. I've started using them on ALL my snares.

Back