Hurricane Susan

Tamadrm.

That's good to hear. Anthony's not the tallest of guys, so I was concerned about flood levels ;) Imagine the mouse panic if Disney California suffered the same fate ;) ;) ;)
I see. Hope he is well, too!

LOL! But seriously, drummers are probably the first ones to lose their beloved equipment
to water damage, because we're mostly forced to keep our instruments in basements...

I am happy to hear that the NY Marathon has been cancelled after all. It restores a little more faith in humanity. All is not lost.

Last edited:
Scientists in denial. Really nothing on the national news, television networks. Endless hours of titillating coverage and nothing at all. Really sad. They just chalk it up to "it's natural." Climate change isn't meaningfully discussed. Presidential candidates ignore it. Why? Follow the money. While towns are wiped out politicians can rest easy knowing that the oil companies who bankroll their campaigns will always be there as long as they keep delaying and delaying meaningful discussion and action concerning global warming. They can be "inconclusive" forever and just let our grandkids deal with it. Pathetic.

Now back to drumming.

You're a little off the track here. I work with climate scientists. NONE of these scientists are in denial AT ALL. What they say is true, hurricanes are simply natural phenomena. They are small scale events ....those on a time and length scale that cannot be predicted by any climate models. This is also why we cannot predict weather. What climate models of Weaver and Oppenheimer DO tell us, is extreme events such as Sandy become more common with climate change. Their prediction on this ring true, and its obviously happening in our lifetime. None of them are in denial on this. They simply could not predict Sandy or its magnitude itself.

Politicians are voted in. If you want action of global change, vote in candidates who have the courage to put it on the table. Challenge a political system in which millions of campaign dollars need to be raised (from corporations with deep pockets) in order to run for office.

Sadly Katrina, Sandy etc. may at some point get these folks to wake up...its costing $50 billion.

I wonder how hurricane Sandy compares to hurricane Andrew and Katrina in terms of dollar damage. I'm thinking it's the biggest dollar loss because of the sheer size of it.

I'm still without power. I found out that there are only 7 people on the circuit I'm on that are still powerless, which means we will be among the last to get restored. Crews concentrate on the circuits with the most people out as priority. Thank god for my generator.

It just underscores the importance of being prepared somehow and in someway. I have two weeks worth of camping food and water purification tablets tucked away in my car. When I was in cold country, I kept a small unopened bottle of peppermint schnapps under the driver's seat just in case I broke down or slid into a tree or something. My mom has always had her earthquake preparation kit in her car for as long as I can remember. It included waterproof matches, etc. My biggest fear is not having coffee any more. On top of all the hysteria, I'm going to have the most raging headache if I have to quit caffeine all the sudden. Maybe I should store a few weeks worth of Guarana too.

When I was in cold country, I kept a small unopened bottle of peppermint schnapps under the driver's seat just in case I broke down or slid into a tree or something.

Good to be prepared, as long as one is not into the schnapps under your seat before you slide into a tree.

I wonder how hurricane Sandy compares to hurricane Andrew and Katrina in terms of dollar damage. I'm thinking it's the biggest dollar loss because of the sheer size of it.

I'm still without power. I found out that there are only 7 people on the circuit I'm on that are still powerless, which means we will be among the last to get restored. Crews concentrate on the circuits with the most people out as priority. Thank god for my generator.

Yep its size, and made landfall in such a populated area, with all the commerce.

Still no power? You had good forsight to have a generator ready. Many never thought to have any backup. Tell your spouse everybody on DW thinks it was so smart of you to have a generator, even if she thinks it stinks. I live in an earthquake prone area and Sandy has made me think to kept a generator for out in our shed too.

Good to be prepared, as long as one is not into the schnapps under your seat before you slide into a tree.

Exactly. I hear ya.

No. I never drink and drive. Never had a DUI either.

So, no Steve yet? bummer, let's hope he is OK.

Finally got power restored. 12 hours short of an entire week without power. My marriage survived, stronger than ever I might add. Not without almost splitting for 5 minutes though lol. Women...so dramatic. What's up with that gals? You all got some 'splaining to do....

"Hey smiling strange
You're looking happily deranged
Can you settle to shoot me?
Or have you picked your target yet...."

Finally got power restored. 12 hours short of an entire week without power. My marriage survived, stronger than ever I might add. Not without almost splitting for 5 minutes though lol. Women...so dramatic. What's up with that gals? You all got some 'splaining to do....

MAN you are hilarious! choked on my beer on that one.
Another nor'easter coming, hope it doesn't take out Sandy-weakened trees.

Larry - glad to hear you finally got power back. It's frustrating not knowing when the power is coming back. The electric companies just give you a general guestimate. It's one thing to be out for a few hours or even a day or two. When it gets past that timeframe, that makes things very difficult, especially for those who are not prepared at all.

Whew..helloow all....I just got power back an hour ago.I was one of the lucky ones.No damage to my home,but my daughter lost everything.Nothing any longer to go home too.Its just gone.She and the fam are with my son who has a big place and power..

I don't know what you've heard,but certain parts of Queens and Staten Island no longer exist.Over 40,000 homeless.To really help matters,a noreaster blew through last night with 40-50MPH winds,and 3 " of snow.

I was hooked up to a small generator,enough for a light and the radio for me and my neighbor.Some one siphoned all of my gas out of my Jeep.I hope he needed it more than I did.

Disaster relief was slow in coming.The NYPD,FDNY,Sanitation,EMS were real troopers.A lot of lives were saved..some real heroic stuff.Cops and firemen pulling people off of roof tops,with downed electric lines sparking right next to them.The tidal surge was stronger and larger than predicted,and came further inland than expected.It was also much faster moving

I helped out were ever I could,mostly going from door to door checking to make sure nobody was trapped or needed medical help.Food and gasoline were and still are in short supply.

Like I said,I'm not sure of what the media said about this,but in some parts of the tri-state ares,it was as bad as it could possibly get.This storm was actually worse than predicted,and anyone that says otherwise is a liar.

That was something I never want to live through again...and I was one of the lucky ones.

The death toll on Staten Island alone was 25,including a long time friend of mine who I knew from Boy Scouts.

Thank you to those concerned about my safety,but it'll take more then a hurricane to take me out.

Nice to hear also that the Americans (next time,spell it with a capitol A) are causing all the global warming.American industry is certainly part of the problem,but there's enough blame to go around.It reminds me of something about throwing stones,and living in glass houses.

Steve B

Great to hear you're ok Steve, I was (along with others) concerned for your wellbeing. Sorry to hear of your daughter's plight, & most terrible news about your old friend.

Anyhow, clearly, it's the drumming community that's mostly to blame for global warming. All that energy expelled doing Youtube drum covers is heating up basements around the planet ;)

I'm lobbying for a BPM limit :)

Steve,

Glad to hear you're back up and running. Very sorry to hear of your daughter's situation and the loss of your friend.

David

Steve B great to hear from you and that you are OK. You were missed. Sad to hear about your daughter and friend. It is really bad. My wife is visiting NYC for 2 months but is in south Harlem, so she fared better than most for power. I'm flying there Saturday.
Anybody who blames one country for global warming does not understand the process. I think the statements on the thread somewhere were to get it on the political agenda of all countries, incl. USA. It won't stop hurricanes anyway.

Hey Steve. Glad to see you still around. Sorry about your daughter and the great town of Staten Island. We were all pretty pretty worried and the scenes shown on tv were as bad as one could imagine. No there is plenty of global warming blame to go around. Without naming names, I think of one particular country that recently hosted the Olympics. But we can play the blame game later. Glad to see you back. If you need anything let me know. Seriously.

Back