Hurricane Susan

My understanding is that frequency and severity of cyclones / hurricanes are affected by more factors than anticipated and the projections didn't work out, which is incredibly good news (touch wood).

The bad news is that projections about storm surges are proving to be correct, which means more flooding associated with storms.

I hope you guys are doing well so far.

The news articles and flashes about the hurricane have been kinda extreme so far.
I don't know how they do it in the States, but here in Sweden a lot of newspapers tend to write pretty extreme and "scary" headlines. Today the headline about the hurricane is "THEY DIED IN THE STORM" and yesterday it was "PEOPLE WILL DIE!"

Some article said that the americans are yet to connect the hurricane to global warming and such. Have there been any talk about global warming, or carbondioxide, or discussions about how we destroy our planet? A journalist wrote that after this hopefully the americans will understand what we're doing to mother Earth (and take bigger responsibility for it). Have the press connected the disaster to global warming yet?

Never. We are capitalist pigs. In fact, if the Republicans had their way, we wouldn't even have a FEMA to "help" people. This agency was put into place by President Jimmy Carter, FYI (who, btw, was the president that legalized home brewing).

Still no power. All my neighbors are on but myself and 2 others on my cul de sac. I think my transformer's circuit breaker needs to be reset, as I saw flashes before it went out. Wishing I had a hot stick so I could do it myself. Will try and secure one for future issues. My generator starter motor is not cooperating and the manual pull cord broke a while ago. Takes about a 1/2 hour to start my generator. Ugh. On top of that, my wife is a pain in the ass during a crisis. Everything is wrong and I am to blame it seems. Please PECO turn my power back on!

Still no power. All my neighbors are on but myself and 2 others on my cul de sac. I think my transformer's circuit breaker needs to be reset, as I saw flashes before it went out. Wishing I had a hot stick so I could do it myself. Will try and secure one for future issues. My generator starter motor is not cooperating and the manual pull cord broke a while ago. Takes about a 1/2 hour to start my generator. Ugh. On top of that, my wife is a pain in the ass during a crisis. Everything is wrong and I am to blame it seems. Please PECO turn my power back on!

Haha! You're an electrician right? Climb that transformer! Sorry to hear you're still without power. I know it's getting colder too.

Yea, I'm an electrician. Can't really get my body up near the transformer, have to get past the energized wires first, too dangerous. They reset the breakers on pole mounted transformers from the ground with a big telescoping stick with a hook on the end, the hotstick. Maybe if I cast a 100 lb test fishing line up there and try and hook it....

Yea, I'm an electrician. Can't really get my body up near the transformer, have to get past the energized wires first, too dangerous. They reset the breakers on pole mounted transformers from the ground with a big telescoping stick with a hook on the end, the hotstick. Maybe if I cast a 100 lb test fishing line up there and try and hook it....
Try some DW lugs larry, they should be good for earthing most of your town ;)

Of course ;) Why did you expect anything else?

Let's see she can't sleep because she needs the sound of a fan to sleep (generator is off while we sleep). The smell of the exhaust from the generator is making her sick. Even though I shut it off at night. And it's outside. She was sick all day at work, exaggerated. She comes home from work yesterday, first thing she says, very accusingly, how come the generator is on when the power is back on? (Our neighbors power was restored, I knew this, ours was still off) Nice to see you too babe. I'm not shutting this thing off until I know we are back on because it doesn't like to start up too easily. Washing my hair in ice cold water this morning...after struggling with the generator for a half hour...so she could have power to get ready for work... Hey, watch it, you're dripping water on my clothes...I'm trying very hard to be nice. She has it hard enough.

Got a heavy fishing rod, Larry? A fibreglass one without any metal fittings?

Everything is wrong and I am to blame it seems.

I know her.....in fact, I think I married her sister! :)

Still no word from Steve, I notice. I hope it's just power and not a house he's lost. The NY/NJ damage, especially the fires in Queens, was pretty extreme. I don't envy the clean up.

Stay strong north east coasters!!

Last edited:

Still no word from Steve, I notice. I hope it's just power and not a house he's lost. The NY/NJ damage, especially the fires in Queens, was pretty extreme. I don't envy the clean up.

Stay strong north east coasters!!
Yes, both Steve & Anthony are still conspicuous by their absence. I hope you two guys are ok!

Larry, can "she who shall be obeyed" still smell the exhaust from the generator? I mean, considering it's outside, & 24 hours since it was switched off, God help you if you ever brush too close to another woman who's used perfume in the last month ;)

I'm safe from all blame for at least a week. I bought a new Welsh terrier puppy to partner our existing dog.

Attachments

• rufuscrop.jpg
    rufuscrop.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 179
  • rufuscrop2.jpg
    rufuscrop2.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 177
  • rufuscrop3.jpg
    rufuscrop3.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 179
That's a point, Jules. He's an ex cop and pretty sharp so my money's on a power outage and or water damage.

Larry and Jules, I used to go out with you're wives' brother. Somehow I kept doing things wrong which were never explained - I'd just get the silent treatment.

Sometimes I love being single :)

I'm praying for those guys. Just saw tv coverage of Staten Island, New York and it's pretty devastating.

That would make us brother in laws!

Larry, can "she who shall be obeyed" still smell the exhaust from the generator? I mean, considering it's outside, & 24 hours since it was switched off, God help you if you ever brush too close to another woman who's used perfume in the last month ;)

Bloodhounds come to her for tips on how to detect odor better. Trying to hide anything? That would be just plain rediculous-ness lol...

Larry and Jules, I used to go out with you're wives' brother.

That would make you....some chick our wives brothers boned lol. Hey close enough to kin for me!

Steve is too smart to not survive this, and Anthony is just too ornery to let some weather beat him.

And Andy those dogs look so....English to me. They probably bark with an English accent, are overly polite, and have tea at 4. Are their names Origin and Performance?

I still have at least 3 days I'm told before power is restored. Hope my generator can start about 6 more times.

The one and only tamadrm.....the veritable walking encylocpedia of all things vintage and all round good guy......even if he was a copper!! :)

Which one is Steve, again?
Tamadrm.

A search party has located Anthony here online on Drummerworld as late as today. One down, one to go.
That's good to hear. Anthony's not the tallest of guys, so I was concerned about flood levels ;) Imagine the mouse panic if Disney California suffered the same fate ;) ;) ;)

That would make you....some chick our wives brothers boned lol.
I nearly spat out my cereal :)

I love the puppy Andy!
And Andy those dogs look so....English to me. They probably bark with an English accent, are overly polite, and have tea at 4. Are their names Origin and Performance?
Thanks guys :) They're Welsh terriers Larry, so not English, but part of the same lump of rock. My older dog's name is Yogi, the 8 week old is Rufus, but Welsh terriers punch well above their weight, so fit nicely into the Origin vibe :)

I hope you guys are doing well so far.
A journalist wrote that after this hopefully the americans will understand what we're doing to mother Earth (and take bigger responsibility for it). Have the press connected the disaster to global warming yet?

"Americans" refers to over a nation of over 300 million individuals. Do you think that perhaps describing 300 million people in one grand judgmental sentence might be a tad bit of oversimplification?

Poor dumb Americans don't understand what we're doing to mother Earth. Please.

As a matter of fact, it is being brought up everywhere as a subject. Certainly amongst all but the most staunch opponents.

But let us be clear here. Driving an electric car or recycling a few plastic bottles is like spitting in the ocean. What these coastal areas need is major engineering projects to proof them against the new reality of storms.

Back