Roc-N-Soc ... I'm not sure I get it?

Now I'm really keen to A-B. If you get your hands on an R'nS tractor seat, there's at least one Aussie that would be interested in the difference.

Just thinking I should buy one out here > offer it on 14 day trial for a small fee secured by full, refundable payment less shipping each way for Aussies that do what to try them.

(Keen to A-B??)

G'day all,

As per the title, I'm not sure I get it.
Now that I'm sitting on a Roc-N-Soc, I'm not sure I get the referrals and the positive reviews surrounding the product.

I started off on a Pearl D-1000SP and we just didn't click (if anyone in AU after one let me know- 'as new').

I then went looking for a Gibraltar 9608OS and as it wasn't available, I finished up with a Pearl D-2000 which then became the BR model when I jagged the back rest for little $. It seemed oh so close I guess, maybe the positioning of the back rest each time I sat on it put me off. (i.e. I would have to get it square in the middle of my back.) So I was able to return it.

I then found the Gibraltar 9608OS, good fit around the bum but a slight feeling of sitting / sliding forward at the hips?? My gut feel said no, so pass I did.

All the time I'm reading, reading, reading about Roc-N-Soc and there's very little option for it here in Australia it seems.

Then I finally find an option where I can buy one locally. Not concerned about the gas lift base (one less thing to go wrong) and I'm happy with the Gibraltar 9508EX base I buy. The Roc-N-Soc top I get is the 'Oversized Round with Thigh Cut Outs' as the tractor / motorbike style wasn't available.

So I unpack, set it up, and with much anticipation ... and ... and ... aahhhnnnnddd is this as good as it gets??

I grabbed a bit of a hit using it this afternoon but not for long and it was so-so ... and I thought I'd bring it up in front of the computer as I'm typing now. Sure it might promote good posture (back getting sore to sit upright!) but my arse is bloody going numb. I'm 105kgs (230 pounds) - there's bigger boys around than me.

But for now, this thing will be 'return bound' on Monday where I have to settle for store credit - and then onto what? Talk about a let down.

Thoughts anyone?
Cheers.

If the throne has no nito gas shock, then it is understandable you are disappointed. There's not much point in getting one without the shock. Once you have flopped your butt on a Nitro throne, you will never go back.

If the throne has no nito gas shock, then it is understandable you are disappointed. There's not much point in getting one without the shock. Once you have flopped your butt on a Nitro throne, you will never go back.

But I would argue that once the initial shock absorption has been expelled after you have sat down, you are then left with the characteristics and construction of the seat to comfort you.
This seat I obtained could have been floating in a bowl of chocolate mousse and it would have made little difference I feel.

(NB - I am not saying that the air assisted throne bases are duds.)

But I would argue that once the initial shock absorption has been expelled after you have sat down, you are then left with the characteristics and construction of the seat to comfort you.
This seat I obtained could have been floating in a bowl of chocolate mousse and it would have made little difference I feel.

I dunno. I think the Nitro feature impacts the comfort long after you've taken your seat. We move a bit when we play drums and the seat seems to go where I need it to go. I think it acts as a shock absorber as we move in our seats. It just feels more accommodating.

I think until you've tried a Nitro with the tractor-styled seat, you haven't tried the seat that most of us are touting so highly. There may be a variety of seats available by Roc-N-Soc and other manufacturers, but that's the combo that is most commonly associated with the brand and tends to elicit the "Wow!" moment that many of us have experienced.

That's not entirely true. As you move your legs and arms, for example, you change the amount and distribution of weight on the throne and it does rise and fall by very small distances. This amounts to absorbing the shock of playing, removing some of that from your spine. At least, that's my experience after having played on the same throne for 16 years.

If there was no Nitro shock absorber on the throne, then it was much like any other throne. Try to get the Nitro model (and I think Gibraltar and other companies have their own versions of these) and you will see what I mean.

There's likely to be elements of truth in both of our experiences, opinions and thoughts I guess and to some degree they'd be hard to measure.

The Pearl D1000SP that I started on has that shock absorption element to it so I am familiar with that benefit but I'd expect the RnS design may be superior to that especially when coupled with the tractor style seat we all speak of.

And alas, I return to where I started - severely limited local access to the product to further any of these suggestions. But for now, the one I do have is definitely going back.

As this topic runs out of puff, thanks to all for their input and I'll endeavour to chip back with where I finished up for the benefit of topic and future readers.

Thanks everyone :))

I'm sorry you don't like it, I have two roc `n soc nitro round drum stools (I cant bring myself to call them "thrones") and I absolutely love them. I'll never go back to the old spindle!

He probably has this one. I too call it a "tractor" seat because it's not your typical round throne.

DSC_0084.jpg

Dennis
I love that the table lamp etc appear to be part of the kit here :D

Back