Trivium...and sometimes Mastodon

ZildjianMan1023

Silver Member
for all of you new wave of American heavy metal fans...THIS is your thread...

my band has gone through some major lineup changes. and each new member with their own influences...

my friend Shane who is now our new guitarist brought over Shogun by Trivium... i never really was turned on to the whole screaming idea in metal, but that album soon took me over.

needless to say Trivium is now one of my all time favorite bands and that i own all 4 of their albums now =x

anywho, with my new love for Trivium i soon opened up to Mastodon...

now, Blood Mountain and other albums before Crack The Skye i highly doubt ill listen to. thats just too intense for me

but Crack The Skye is an an amazing album

i want YOUR thoughts on both of these bands and perhaps any other thoughts you may have on other bands in the same genre...

I think trivium are okay. Not my favourite band and the singer does get on my nerves a little bit but not bad overall. Mastadon i think are pretty good really.

Mastodon is my all time favorite band, I love all of the music that they have put out. What you have to realize is the amazing progression this band went through. They had major metal and hardcore influences but eventually became more and more progressive. Crack the Skye (their most recent effort) was super progressive and not particularly metal but it is such a wonderful album that nobody can deny it.

Trivium on the other hand doesn't really do anything for me. if you want good METAL stay away from Trivium, they're almost a pop band.

Best bands that are actually part of that movement are going to have to be Mastodon, Lamb of god and DevilDriver.

If you look at the list
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Wave_of_American_Heavy_Metal
a lot of those are "Numetal" or "Hardcore" bands.

Mastodon is my all time favorite band, I love all of the music that they have put out. What you have to realize is the amazing progression this band went through. They had major metal and hardcore influences but eventually became more and more progressive. Crack the Skye (their most recent effort) was super progressive and not particularly metal but it is such a wonderful album that nobody can deny it.

Trivium on the other hand doesn't really do anything for me. if you want good METAL stay away from Trivium, they're almost a pop band.

Best bands that are actually part of that movement are going to have to be Mastodon, Lamb of god and DevilDriver.

If you look at the list
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Wave_of_American_Heavy_Metal
a lot of those are "Numetal" or "Hardcore" bands.

i have to disagree with you ian,

trivium is far from pop, but i think i like them so much is because of heafy's vocals.

i was watching the making of crack the skye and pretty much what you said is verbatim to what brent hinds said

Love them both.
Let's not forget Machine Head here. Major player in NWOAHM

I'm also very open to the term "metal" so bands like Slipknot I love and will consitter a part of the new wave.

Love them both.

I'm also very open to the term "metal" so bands like Slipknot I love and will consitter a part of the new wave.

i dont know,

i cant really get into bands like slipknot and all that remains

they just dont do it for me

i have to disagree with you ian,

trivium is far from pop, but i think i like them so much is because of heafy's vocals.

i was watching the making of crack the skye and pretty much what you said is verbatim to what brent hinds said

If you're looking for bands that are players in "Metal" then you're going to have to open up to the "intense" nature of metal. I'd recommend looking through from the openings of metal at bands that "defined" the genre from earlier days (sabbath, deep purple) up through standards now (Lamb of god, Mastodon).

You also need to listen through all of Mastodon's earlier work before you cite it as "too intense" a lot of it is rather mellow. Look up: Seabeast, Hearts Alive, O'le Nessy, Elephant man, Pendulous Skin, and Joseph Merrick.

Love them both.

Not to nitpick but Machine Head, chronologically speaking, definitely isn't even close to being part of NWOAHM. Their first (and probably best) major label album came out in like, '94. That's like calling Fear Factory or even Pantera NWOAHM. :) By the late nineties they had completely sold out and became a rap-metal band. Their recent work has been pretty decent though, a return to their roots of sorts. Why Rob Flynn started rapping is beyond me--wait, it's because it was $$$ at the time.

I can't get into Mastodon. They remind a lot of Clutch, who I also can't get into. It's just not interesting to me, just kind of "blah."

Trivium is pretty good really--Shogun is many times better than the Crusade, their attempt at recreating the Black Album (which I don't know why they'd want to do anyway).

Lamb of God is a pretty obvious choice for one of the movement's finest. Ashes is my personal favorite album. I also LOVE Killswitch Engage. A lot of people consider them kind of pussified, but I think they write extremely melodic and catchy songs that don't ever get "poppy".

Amon Amarth isn't really NWOAHM, but they still rule. Death metal for people who don't like death metal.

Not to nitpick but Machine Head, chronologically speaking, definitely isn't even close to being part of NWOAHM. Their first (and probably best) major label album came out in like, '94. That's like calling Fear Factory or even Pantera NWOAHM. :) By the late nineties they had completely sold out and became a rap-metal band. Their recent work has been pretty decent though, a return to their roots of sorts. Why Rob Flynn started rapping is beyond me--wait, it's because it was $$$ at the time.

Yeah, I know, but I don't like their old stuff except for Burn my Eyes. So, I just kind of ment that their aiding and can kinda be part of NWOAHM because their newer stuff is thrashy goodness. Your right, in most cases. But, I said them because for one, people are just finding out about them now, and to alot of people their "new".

And Amon Amarth isn't even from the US, right?

Oh...
I guess Municipal Waste can be part of it, too. Maybe, their more just an underground thrash band.

Last edited:
Trivium are total rip offs, and I can't get into them for that reason. They're just really really gimmicky, and they play off everything that's been done before. Pet hate.

Mastodon are pretty decent. I haven't heard all of their stuff but they definitely have their moments.

I don't think the "movement" is really able to be classed as new anymore. It's getting to the point where people are just churning out the same things over and over and there's not much places left to go. Lamb of God's last album for example; it was a good album, but it was as if you couldn't tell when the track switched. The songs were really samey. And Chimairas new album is the fail. They'll never beat "Impossibility of Reason". More innovative or original stuff seems to be coming from Scandinavia right now. Like Amon Amarth, Opeth (again, not a fan but it's an example), or more importantly, Meshuggah.

Anyway, didn't mean to offend anyone. Just my take on the scene atm.

Back