Anybody else who doesn't care about the World Cup?

What's the World Cup?

You don't get the best soccer in a world cup. A national soccer team of 11 players often play in 5, 6, 7 different countries. They hardly train together. Club teams like Barcelona play waaayy better together. Not that I watch those.

The WC is a good way for countries with depressed economies, soaring unemployment and flourishing extreme right parties (i'm looking at you France) to find a common cause and create some national cohesion. Funnily, only one country wins at the end and all others lose, so the ones with low frustration tolerance won't be any better off. Neither will be the host country that picks up the bill while FIFA is not paying any tax in Brazil, my newspaper said.

Whatever the case I think I might just watch a Holland match or a few...

Ah, that makes sense. You post had that typical sense of frustration when hemmed in by football heads.

One cool thing about the WC is when they sing the anthems and there's often some hilarious haircuts :)

U sure it's the haircuts you're watching? 3 women in the house here disagree.

What's the World Cup?

The World Cup is a football* (that's "football", not "soccer") tournament that is played by teams from countries all over the World.
The winner of the tournament wins the World Cup - it's actually a trophy now, but the original prize was a cup.

You're welcome.

I like all kinds of cups. Generally, cups are good. I'd rather live in a world with cups than without cups. So I care fairly deeply about cups.

See that's why cups are good. They protect things. The contain things. Where would bras be without cups? They really are and essential part of life. You still have the ability to reproduce because of cups.

No, we mean football. If you call it 'soccer' around my parts, you're liable for a beating.

I've always wondered why we call American Football "football". Football, the soccer version, is an English sport, so I can see how Brits could get all bent out of shape over the word soccer. This fact shouldn't diminish the game of American football though. It really is a great sport to watch and play.

Just to add balance, let's have a look some others ports - especially American sports. Calling your national baseball league World Series is a wank. Admit it. Meanwhile grid iron is almost as fast as golf and lawn bowls. Almost. (sorry Bon lol). But it's at least faster than cricket (sorry Duncan).

In Australia, we either have Aussie Rules and Rugby league, both games thuggish and dangerous. Unlike grid iron, where everyone hugs and chats in a sewing circle most of the time, in thugby league they spend half their time with their heads up each others' (ample) arses. In Aussie Rules there are long passages where the players scrabble around as though they're competing to grab a cake of wet soap from the bottom of the bathtub.

U sure it's the haircuts you're watching? 3 women in the house here disagree.

This isn't something I noticed, Pico - World Cup haircuts are notorious.

Google search = "world cup" haircuts
About 4,290,000 results

The World Cup is a football* (that's "football", not "soccer") tournament that is played by teams from countries all over the World.
The winner of the tournament wins the World Cup - it's actually a trophy now, but the original prize was a cup.

You're welcome.

You know the World Series?

Well, it's a similar idea, but differs in two important respects:
1. It's not baseball
2. Here's the weird bit - teams from all over the world actually compete!

Oh, that game (Football/Soccer)! I've seen it played. It is good exercise, what with all the players running back and forth chasing their ball, except the lazy guys at the ends of the grass - they just hang out by a big net.

I've also noticed that the clock in this game is rather strange. It counts up instead of counting down to 0:00 like other time oriented games.

Well, I hope somebody wins the Cup before time runs out… oh, wait it doesn't happen like that.

I think (just for grins) that I'll root for Antarctica.

For me personally, it's Basketball. Not the NBA, that's just a bunch of way over-paid idiots running up and down a court playing with their balls - then dribbling and shooting the ol' round-ball through the hoop. College Basketball is where it's at. Come on November!

I have a theory for making soccer instantly more interesting. Assign each goal 7 points. Instead of a final score of 3-2, it would be 21-14. See? Already far more interesting. And none of this tie game crap. Perhaps we could just dispatch with the game and get right to the shootout at the end.

I don't mind going to actual sports games; and almost always enjoy playing the games myself, but would never be able to "follow" a sport, watch it on TV, or care, really.

For example, I had no idea that there was a "world cup" going on right now. I don't subscribe to cable, and sports ads out in the world are just white noise to me that doesn't even enter my consciousness.

Triggers a philosophical question though:
You enjoy playing sports but not watching it. I'm not saying anyone should, but:
You enjoy playing music and you enjoy listening to it, right?
What's the difference?

Back