Do felts on beaters eventually wear out?

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
think i may need to change it on my yamaha kick drum, almost down to the nub. how long does it usually take for a felt to wear out on one?

It really depends on the beater, but they will all wear out eventually.

I have had some cheap ones last only about a year or so and higher quality ones last A LOT longer.

I have a few Yamaha pedals, but I have never had a felt wear out.

Is your beater original to the Yamaha Pedal?

I've never worn out a beater before. I've used the DW 2 way beaters, yamaha felt beaters, danmar felt, speedking felt and never really wore one out only used different ones because they came on the pedal or when I wanted to switch from the heavy feeling DW beaters to a round danmar on my 9000 pedal.

They grow back eventually.

I hadn't heard of any wearing out until I played the Speedcobras. Those beaters wear down in less than six months, and I bought two seperate pairs

I find the Yamaha felt beaters to be particularly durable. I still have a pedal from 1994 that has the felt just a tad worn, dirty... but just a tad worn.

Also I've noticed that beaters with a felt/rubber combo (e.g., DW, Pearl) wear out considerably faster than an all-felt beater.

The felt on my eliminators has wore out pretty over the past 2 months but the pedal is over a year old. The only reason they wore through is because I was using mesh heads at one point in time and the roughness went straight into the felt

Yes the felts eventually wear out. my first pair of beaters were gibraltar and they wore out so fast that I didn't have time to get enough money to buy new ones. :p I had to keep playing with them without any felt and eventually it broke completely through the bass drum skin. I have found that the kevlar impact pads for the bass wear out the beaters the fastest. So now I use 3 plys of impact pads on my bass skin :p its excessive I know, but i really dont want the skin breaking.

I have a Speed King pedal that I bought used in 1977. I'll let you know when the beater felt wears out.

I am the original owner of two Ludwig Speed King pedals that are 45 years old. The original beaters are still good, and are just barely flat on one area. A second set of beaters for the pedals are around 35 years old - they are still in great condition, too.

I believe the trick is that the beaters are simply thick, hard felt. You can purchase these types of beaters for most brands of pedals on the market today. They are like the Energizer Bunny.

I hadn't heard of any wearing out until I played the Speedcobras. Those beaters wear down in less than six months, and I bought two seperate pairs

Yeah, I bought the Speed Cobras just before I went on a tour, they'd worn flat after about 5 shows. Swapped them for the rubber-headed ones, even those are starting flatten off! The SC is a seriously powerful pedal.

Back