old snare, new strainer, no drilling... how?

tbmills

Gold Member
i have a 70s gretsch c.o.b. and the lightning throw is unreliable at best. i want to replace it with the dunnett gibraltar swivel strainer, but my snare has a strange triangular drilling pattern. how can i use a modern strainer without drilling?

here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_0966.JPG
    IMG_0966.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 1,079
  • IMG_0973.JPG
    IMG_0973.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 1,036
  • IMG_0972.JPG
    IMG_0972.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,037
  • throwoff.jpg
    throwoff.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,002
Make an adapter, get a piece of aluminum at Home depot, drill and counter sync hole that line up with the old holes and do the same on the side and use lock nuts. for the new throw off.

it may not need it being so small, if it does you could use a thin washer on the outer holes. Or find a pipe and lay the shim on it and carfully hammer it into shape.

Or keep an eye on ebay for the correct throw off in better condition.

i have been checking ebay but it looks the only lightning throws are the ones with the lever in the middle rather than on the left. i retrofit plate seems like it would be very tough to build. unfortunately, i think my two options are 1. see if a machine shop can fab a small piece or 2. drill...

i emailed mike mccraw, the guy who makes the retrofit plate for dws and ludwigs. he doesnt make anything for this one and he only works with trick now. i just now asked if he would do a one-off piece but im not expecting a good answer. well see...

and i DO NOT want to drill.

How about finding an original Lightning throw in good shape, and keep it all original/vintage? There's one on ebay right now.

Otherwise, bite the bullet and find a machine shop that can make an adapter plate for you. You CAN'T drill!

How about finding an original Lightning throw in good shape, and keep it all original/vintage? There's one on ebay right now.

Otherwise, bite the bullet and find a machine shop that can make an adapter plate for you. You CAN'T drill!

the one on ebay isnt the same kind. the throw switch on mine is on the left. look at my picture.
the reason thats a problem is the throw i have has a triangular drilling pattern where the triangle points up. those point down.

Last edited:
hey rm,
you have a cob right? what kind of throw does it have?

the reason i ask is because i have yet to see a cob with the stop sign #1 badge, the early lighting throw, and the whatever fish tail strainer...
im beginning to think i may have a very rare drum.

I have the same thing as you.

Buy your throwoff and send it to me. I will make you an adapter. You can pay me the cost of materials and shipping. If you like it then you can pay me with a new "T" shirt from a local drum shop, how is that?

How is that?

I have the same thing as you.

Buy your throwoff and send it to me. I will make you an adapter. You can pay me the cost of materials and shipping. If you like it then you can pay me with a new "T" shirt from a local drum shop, how is that?

How is that?

sounds awesome. to save some shipping $, i could give you the money to just buy one of these at guitar center, make the adapter then mail the whole shabang here...

how much to you think an adapter would cost?

really? you could make one of these without the new strainer. the mounting on em is vertically adjustable. its two points are infinitely movable up and down. an adapter only has to meet the measurements of the drum's drilling pattern, and have a counter-sunk (is that a word?) hole on the bottom.

Attachments

• dunnett1.jpg
    dunnett1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,086
  • dunnett3.jpg
    dunnett3.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 955
  • throwoff.jpg
    throwoff.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 935
  • throwoff2.jpg
    throwoff2.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 939
I have the same throw-off on my cast snare I believe.

Give me a few days to tinker with it, I will fiure it out. Parts can't be much more the $5.00 -$10.00.

Is this the same throw-off?

cast_snare.jpg

After reading all of this and seeing mandlebaums very generous offer( that's why I love this place) is your throw not repairable?

Is this the same throw-off?

yes it is. let me know what you come up with.
thank you.

After reading all of this and seeing mandlebaums very generous offer( that's why I love this place) is your throw not repairable?

why i love this place too...
repairable? not really. here, look in the pic. the two riveted posts (going horizontally) that hold the pieces of the throw together, have damaged ends. the throw does not open and close squarely. i would rather not touch it and potentially mess up and original part... even if i can replace it with another similar throw, i dont know if i want to...

Attachments

• IMG_0966.JPG
    IMG_0966.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 923
i just got a reply email from mike mccraw, maker of the retrofit plate, after my inquiry about him making a piece for this snare.

Hi Taylor!

It has come to my attention a guy in Austin is going to make one of these for you. Odd since I have a patent on file with US patent and Trademark office in Arlington, Virginia for not only the part but on the method of doing so as well. You might pass this along to him and see if he is interested in licensing my idea from me, since it is patented.

Best regards

Mike

i will go ahead assume that the "guy in Austin" is rm.
looks like the jig is up.

and gd, that is why i love this place...

yes it is. let me know what you come up with.
thank you.

why i love this place too...
repairable? not really. here, look in the pic. the two riveted posts (going horizontally) that hold the pieces of the throw together, have damaged ends. the throw does not open and close squarely. i would rather not touch it and potentially mess up and original part... even if i can replace it with another similar throw, i dont know if i want to...

My preferance would be to repair the throw- it sound like you have bent parts in there- I really cant help myself like that- I will take my time and really fix anything- hardly ever fails!
That way you can have the original part on that great classic snare!
Shame your not local- like London, I would have had a fiddle and fixed that for yah!

He sent me a note as well, I replied and I understand his position.

I would not be happy if I went through the patent process and some guy was going to start making whatever I had patented. It is a long painful and expensive process to get a patent.

And he does have a great product, I have referred people to his web site in the past.

I explained I have no intent on starting a business and making adapters. I was simply helping out a fellow member.

Back