Why order steak well done?

Jules, is your main sauce in Oz Heinz like it is here in most of the US? Does it say ketchup anywhere on the bottle down there? I wonder what would happen if I ordered a hot dog with sauce and mustard in Philly. I wonder what "sauce" they would default to, or would they ask me what the hell I was talking about.

In Philly, it's common to get the works...ketchup (sauce), mustard, relish, onions, sauerkraut, and then you get your occasional baked beans topping. I love them but only eat them on occasions. Guilty pleasure. They are great outdoors in the summer on a grill or over a fire with friends and kids. With ketchup on them. Mustard overpowers the savory nature of the hot dog lol. Like I wouldn't put mustard on steak either. But mustard spices up the more bland philly pretzel.

So for you die hard mustard sympathizers, riddle me this....Would you put mustard on your steak? Well, would you? Punk?

You must be eating some serious sissy weak hot dogs in Philly.NY dogs like Boars Head,Nathans,Sabrette and Greys Papya hot dog flavor, will cut right through that mustard,and bring it to its knees.

BTW..Dirty Harry has it 100% right.Ketsup is for fries and Burgers,but,south of the Mason Dixon line,you get BOTH ketsup and mustard on your chain burger restaurants,like Mickey D's.:):)

Steve B

Who you calling sissy, punk? :) It's not that the hot dogs are sissy, it's just here in Philly, we have more refined palettes and actual taste sensibilities!....We are a higher class of moron lol.

Haga!

Sabrettes are my favorite.

So for you die hard mustard sympathizers, riddle me this....Would you put mustard on your steak? Well, would you? Punk?

No, but one time in Florida, they put fresh lobster meat and Bearnaise sauce on my fillet. If that was wrong, I don't want to be right.
Capital+grille+filet+oscar.jpg

I don't understand why ketchup can't go on a hotdog. I like both mustard and ketchup on mine, with chopped onions. Not a lot, I just sort of draw a thin little line of ketchup right between the bun and the frankfurter. Mustard goes on the other side.

People who use only mustard on their dogs are wack-a-doo!

I don't really mean that, JK. Not a big fan of mustard in the first place. One condiment I could easily live without.

I mean besides Philly pretzels and all manner of sandwiches, where else do you use it?

Enlighten me.

People who use only mustard on their dogs are wack-a-doo!

I don't really mean that, JK. Not a big fan of mustard in the first place. One condiment I could easily live without.

I mean besides Philly pretzels and all manner of sandwiches, where else do you use it?

Enlighten me.

Egg salad, tuna salad, deviled eggs, I put it on ham, use it to dip chicken nuggets and fish sticks in, and putting a little bit on a Dorito is awesome. You can also use mustard to patina steel, such as knife blades. Wipe it on, wait 24 hours, wash it off. Instant patina. It can be blotchy, so I would not advise using it on cymbals.

I forgot to add that I love a baked potato with barbeque sauce all over it.

Who you calling sissy, punk? :) It's not that the hot dogs are sissy, it's just here in Philly, we have more refined palettes and actual taste sensibilities!....We are a higher class of moron lol.

Haga!

Sabrettes are my favorite.

I'll say one thing about Philly food,you silly German pig,I evacuate my nose in your general direction!! :):):)

Great cheese steaks (Pats or Gino's ?...wit?)and you still make those great big soft pretzels,that are hard to find in NY anymore,except in German restaurants and street vendors.

BUT..we still have the Carange Deli with pastrami and corned beef ....and the potato...KINISH.HAGE!!!!!

Steve B

No, but one time in Florida, they put fresh lobster meat and Bearnaise sauce on my fillet. If that was wrong, I don't want to be right.
Capital+grille+filet+oscar.jpg

THAT you can top a steak with....As long as it is not cooked past medium rare.

Acceptable Toppings:
Salt and Pepper
Béarnaise or Hollandaise Sauces
Mushrooms or Truffles
Caramelized or crispy fried Onions
Maitre'd butter (herbed butter)or browned butter sauces
Certain Cheeses (herbed or Bleu variants)
Shellfish (Lobster/Crab/Shrimp)

Unacceptable toppings:
Anything labeled Steak sauce
Any condiment regularly put on a hot dog

Seeing someone ordering a well done filet makes me cringe. I will most often try and get them to order a well done ribeye, as the ribeye cut has plenty of fat, little sinew, and great texture and flavor (it's my favorite cut, bone in on the rare side of medium rare, PERIOD). It will remain somewhat moist and tender nearly until it changes back to carbon. It just makes me sick to see someone spend $50 or more dollars to get a hockey puck that they need the assistance of liquids to choke it down.

Last edited:
THAT you can top a steak with....As long as it is not cooked past medium rare.

Quite assuredly med-rare. That was at the Capital Grille in Florida. In fact, the first one that came out looked absolutely gorgeous and I was happy, but our personal wait guy saw what he thought was not med-rare, and had another one made for me on the spot. I didn't ask or say a word.

The best part about that meal is that it was at a convention, and the sales guys who took us out paid for everything. The bill for 8 of us was something like 3 grand.

Here's a couple of Coneys from Lafayette, one of the big Detroit joints

I'll see your freaky Motor City dog and raise you the Arizona specialty the Sonora dog. A Bacon wrapped hotdog cooked on a flat top or grilled then covered with salsa, mayo, beans, onions/tomatoes and sometimes nacho cheese.

Behold!!

sonoran_hot_dog_20130425150147_320_240.JPG

Nogales%20Hot%20Dogs%20Loaded.jpg

I'll see your freaky Motor City dog and raise you the Arizona specialty the Sonora dog. A Bacon wrapped hotdog cooked on a flat top or grilled then covered with salsa, mayo, beans, onions/tomatoes and sometimes nacho cheese.

Behold!!

I go to Arizona a couple times a year. I know what I'm eating next time I go!

I don't eat mammals anymore (for a variety of reasons) but many years ago when I was in college I went to a restaurant with a bunch of classmates. I ordered a steak medium-rare. My friend next to me had the same entree but ordered it well done. When the server came back he put my plate in front of me, containing a large, juicy steak. My friend's plate featured this black-ish thing about half the size. My friend looked at his plate, looked at mine, looked back at his and then looked at me. I just shrugged. It was funny at the time.

Oh, and I know most folks like the little burnt bits at the edges of grilled meat but do yourself a favor and avoid burned meat. The byproducts are carcinogenic (for example, a study by U Minn researchers showed a 60% increase in probability of getting pancreatic cancer).

I don't eat mammals anymore (for a variety of reasons)

No mammals is one way to go, I guess. At least you can have a nice lizard steak once in a while. Medium rare, of course.

Behold!!

Looks great! Who's buying???

Behold!!

I showed my wife this picture hoping maybe she would make one for me (my cooking sucks). She almost vomited. Guess I wont be trying one anytime soon.

wvhdcrosssection2.jpg

This is how we eat hot dogs In West Virginia even though We also eat them other ways. This is the most popular. Does anyone put Cole Slaw on there hot dog?

Here's an excellent example of meat eater consciousness.

Who says drummers are dumb?

Attachments

• snare grill.jpg
    snare grill.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 183
Back