Anyone else get discouraged selling on Craigslist because of all the flakes and low-ballers?

I don't buy or sell much at all, but I have at times. I don't really mind the lowballers too much, because you can generally ignore them and cl IS free.

I have had a couple of people agree on a price, show up at the public meeting spot, and THEN try to talk me down, and that pissed me off. But otherwise, not a biggie.

Midnight Zephyrs' viewpoint enlightened me a bit. I'm not really a haggler, when buying OR selling. Tell me what you want for something, and if I think it's a good price I'll buy. Simple as that. I hate the haggling. So I always placed those "prices firm" ads. I figured it was a courtesy to offer everyone my best deal, not just those who haggled. It never really occurred to me that haggling was part of the pleasure for some people, so I'll be sure to inflate the price a bit next time I run an ad. lol

I have low-balled, been low-balled, flaked, been flaked on, and bought and sold tons of things successfully on CL. I've used this forum as a means of credentials when I've asked to have things shipped. Some of the greatest deals, and finds I've gotten have been via adhuntr.com which is basically a site that lets you search ALL CL ads at once if you're looking for something specific.

I think, on the whole, that CL is way better than eBay especially when you are buying something as specific as drum gear. You tend to be dealing with like-minded people both in their obsession and thrift (for better or worse). Not saying that there aren't risks and problems, but I've been lucky so far.

As far as dealing with low-ballers. That's something you just have to accept. I have only dug my heels in on price a couple of times and they still ended up coming back to pay full price. But usually I list something for more than I expect to get anyway in order to pad the whole negotiating process. I even had one guy refuse my offer only to re-list an item months later for less than I orginally offered him. You won't always get exactly what you want, but that is the definition of a compromise. ;) In short, I love Craigslist....

Hmmm, you gotta thicken your skin.

People are people, and some of them are going to try to lowball you, some are going to be late or flake out all together, and some are going to meet with you and then decide "no, nevermind." That's just the way it is. People are going to act the way they're going to act. Discouraged? No, it's a free internet service to bring people together, and there are no intrinsic rules--I'm actually thankful for the ease of use. Annoyed? Yeah, sometimes, but like I said, people are people, and you've got to roll with it.

If you're discouraged or disappointed, then your expectations of how your encounter is going to go are too high.

+1

I love the 'democratic' nature of it. Anybody can do anything. Actually, what I find most annoying/perilous is the people who don't know anything about what they are selling. I once saw an ad for a 'guitar for sale' for like $200 and they had a picture of a Martin. Of course, I called to ask for some details, like could they read the label inside, serial no., etc. The answer was , "um, it looks like the one in the picture". You just have to be careful.

I buy sell and trade on Craigslist all the time. The difference between selling electronics and music gear is usually pretty great. Electronics, especially phones and laptops, can be very sketchy! I had a guy ask if I would meet him BEHIND a grocery store! Nope! Most musicians I have dealt with prefer safer meetings.

Low ballers are inevitable. The key is to mark up what you are selling 10-20% to get close to what you are asking. I have only once replied to an ad with an offer for full asking price. Sometimes people just want to feel like they got a good deal.

My only rant is when people list an item and say that calling or texting is the only method of contacting them, rather than email. I don't want you to have my phone number, unless we are going to make a deal. I don't want to talk to you for 20 minutes when I simply want to know one tiny bit of information you left out of your ad., such as the color of said item. If you don't use email, the internet is probably not the best method to sell your goods.

I look at craigslist a lot for drums and cymbals. have not bought anything yet. I did sell some cymbals once and it worked out well. Mt in a well lit, busy parking lot. He asked me to knock off another 10 bucks on the spot, I said ok and he handed me the original amount in twenties anyway!! I think he screwed up.

craigs has become a joke. I currently have two beautiful kits, and two beautiful snares that just sit there with no buyers. Just scammers and low-ball offers.
I don't care because if I don't sell them, I still get to play them :)

Sounds like you're over-valuing the items to sell, if you priced them in a way that a buyer thought he was getting a good deal on something they needed, they would sell. That's what irritates me about craigs. People (not necessarily you) really think you want to come meet them and pay 80-90% of the new value on the item. That's not what I or anyone I know go to craigslist for. It had better be at least in the 70% or lower range and that's if in good shape. Typically I won't consider a used item on that site for anything less than about half retail.

I guess like you, they don't really care if they sell the item or not. Maybe that's why over-priced stuff stays on there listed for months without a price drop.

I guess like you, they don't really care if they sell the item or not. Maybe that's why over-priced stuff stays on there listed for months without a price drop.

Yeah I don't get this line of thinking. Either you want to sell something or you don't. I get really irritated when I am looking for something, find it, and it has no price. I will read the ad and it will say something along the lines of "just testing the waters, shoot me an offer or tell me what you got. Not in a hurry to sell." Especially with cars, I often wonder if these people are just trying to showoff what they have in an effort to look/feel good about themselves and what they own.

My other favorite is (with cars mostly) "I have a (insert year and model). Great car, 9/10, hot air/cold AC, new tires, aftermarket wheels, new tires, immaculate interior, title in hand, 25-30mpg. Does not run. $7500" WTF over?

I was trying to sell my vintage Fender Pro Reverb amp on craigslist. Someone started e-mailing me with lots of questions. Asked if I was interested in a trade plus cash. Said not. Then he offered to come over and make dinner for me and my wife. WTF ??

That is FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LMAO!!!!!!!!

People (not necessarily you) really think you want to come meet them and pay 80-90% of the new value on the item. That's not what I or anyone I know go to craigslist for. It had better be at least in the 70% or lower range and that's if in good shape. Typically I won't consider a used item on that site for anything less than about half retail.

Absolutely. If I can go to a store that has to maintain a reputation, will have a selection of alternatives, will take a return and give a refund, has many legal and regulatory obligations, will take a credit card, honor a warranty, and provide service for a $100, why would I meet a stranger in a parking lot and give him $90 cash to never see him again? I think a lot people don't really understand everything that is in a retail price.
Similarly for ebay, although, at least many of those transactions have some reputation and return protections.

Absolutely. If I can go to a store that has to maintain a reputation, will have a selection of alternatives, will take a return and give a refund, has many legal and regulatory obligations, will take a credit card, honor a warranty, and provide service for a $100, why would I meet a stranger in a parking lot and give him $90 cash to never see him again? I think a lot people don't really understand everything that is in a retail price.
Similarly for ebay, although, at least many of those transactions have some reputation and return protections.

Perfectly stated. A few times I've seen clowns doing the whole "got these for x-mas, no discount, full retail, cash only... But, hey, you won't have to pay sales tax!" thing. I should start sending those idiots your statement here.

In the end, lots of folks do use the site correctly by my assessment. I've gotten some really good deals on hobby items and music gear, I just have to be really patient, and try to ignore the fools who try and charge retail. Check often and when a truly good deal comes up, take it without haggling. Everyone leaves happy.

I've posted a few ads and I have had a few messages like " can you do it cheaper coz i dnt have ajob."

But in Australia it's mostly the sellers who are the dreamers.

Saw this thread just after returning home from selling a set of 2 year old A Custom cymbals via Craigslist.

The ad ran for about 2 weeks, and I got 2 responses. One was a phone call from a guy who acted as though he'd known me forever, asked if I was negotiable (I said yes), and then said he'd call me back. Never heard from him.

The second response was a text from a drummer in nearby Seattle. He left his name, and after Googling him I found several videos on YouTube of him playing with different bands. Good player and obviously a known guy in the area so I called him. My asking price was half what I'd originally paid for the lot because past experience has shown me that that's the most I can get if I make my way to a drum shop with them. That price was also 20% higher than I was willing to take.

I knocked off the 20% for the buyer and we made the plan to meet in the parking lot of my bank, which has two things going for it. It's easy to find and highly trafficked because it's next to the ferry landing from Seattle to where I live. Oh, and a third thing: It's 5 minutes from my home.

The buyer arrived over an hour early, which made me pretty damn happy actually. I drove down to the parking lot, and he stood with his cash in hand, a nice bundle of $100 bills, while I showed him the cymbals. He didn't need to hear them because he's the real deal and knows what they sound like. He just wanted to make sure they were in the "like new" shape I'd described.

We exchanged handfuls, and then I showed him something else that's been sitting in my trunk forever, an old early '90s Tama 13" power tom. Turned out he'd just bought a 1990 Tama Rockstar set so he bought that as well. (No, the colors didn't match, but the tom is silver and looks cool with everything.)

Phone/texting time for the whole deal after the CL ad was placed: 5 minutes tops.

Face to face time to perform the transaction in a safe and public environment: 15 minutes including travel time.

A good time and a good deal were had by all. I don't do a lot on CL, but I've learned to always meet on netural/safe ground whether I'm a buyer or a seller. And I think it's important to talk to the other party and get a sense of them and their attitude before getting together - especially if I'm selling something. I love my stuff almost the way I'd love a puppy and want to make sure it's getting a good home.

Boy, you're a suspicious lot. I'll bring my gun if we ever have to deal.

Oh wait. I don't have a gun. Pig-sticker it is.

I just posted an ad to sell some old drums. The pic showed a whole kit, but the ad was specific that only the drums were for sale. Not surprisingly, the only people who called were the ones who thought the whole kit was for sale for a $99. Dreamers, dream on.

I just posted an ad to sell some old drums. The pic showed a whole kit, but the ad was specific that only the drums were for sale. Not surprisingly, the only people who called were the ones who thought the whole kit was for sale for a $99. Dreamers, dream on.

Well then, why don't you post a picture of what IS for sale instead of confusing the impulse repliers or ESL people? It would be more appropriate if you snap some pics of the shell pack, without the cymbals/hardware/whatever else is not included in the sale. It's kind of misleading to show the kit surrounded by lots of "extras" if they aren't included in the sale.

What I can't stand are the idiots who make ads like: "3 A Zildjian crash cymbals for $90" and when you open the ad, there is a 14" A crash for $90, a 16" for $120, and an 18" for $150. Um, that's NOT what your title suggests, you DB...

I've sold all sorts of stuff on Craigslist (drums, cars, random other stuff) and met all sorts of people. Some don't argue the price, some make a fair offer, many give the most insulting offer they can think off. I usually end up trolling the lowballers via email until they give up. Someone eventually gives a fair offer. The key is patience. You'll get a lot of lowballers and phantom inqiries while waiting for the right buyer. Just don't be in a rush to sell and keep a firm bottom dollar limit in mind.

Well then, why don't you post a picture of what IS for sale instead of confusing the impulse repliers or ESL people? It would be more appropriate if you snap some pics of the shell pack, without the cymbals/hardware/whatever else is not included in the sale. It's kind of misleading to show the kit surrounded by lots of "extras" if they aren't included in the sale.

What I can't stand are the idiots who make ads like: "3 A Zildjian crash cymbals for $90" and when you open the ad, there is a 14" A crash for $90, a 16" for $120, and an 18" for $150. Um, that's NOT what your title suggests, you DB...

I know, I realized that after one day, so I pulled the ad until I can get a picture of just the drums.

I've bought and sold many things on CL. When selling, I usually ask about 20% more than what I really want. Sometimes they want to deal, sometimes I end up with more $$ than I anticipated.

I don't have a problem meeting in public or my place. I have a few items for "self-defense" around the house. Public places don't bother me. If I go to someone's house, I at least have a blade or something else in case the deal goes South. Only met at someone else's house twice. One time we did the deal on his front porch. The other time he showed me his studio and we bullshitted for over an hour.

I have been trying to meet a decent woman off of craigslist. It hasn't happened yet.

I've only done one sell transaction on Craigslist and it worked out quite nice for me. I'm 32 and I got a fella whose closer to my dads age to respond to my ad for a handful of Zildjian cymbals for sale. I had them price fairly high for used cymbals because they were brand new and never really used. They came with my kit and I wanted a different setup.

The fella called me up and expressed his excitement at finding my pair of Armand hats, he really enjoyed that series and no one seemed to have any. He came by the house and took a look at all my stuff, and he told me, when he saw the ad he thought the prices were a little high for used stuff, but now that he saw it and it basically like he'd get at retail, he paid up happily and I threw in a couple bits of light Yamaha hardware I wasn't going to use. He got a good deal, we both thought.

For buying, I'm not a lowballer, but I like to deal. Typically, since my town has little to no gear, I'm calling or emailing someone out of state. Some folks aren't interested in shipping, some are. Of those that are, there are those that want exorbitant amounts and those that are like "yah 15 bucks will cover it". Overall, craigslist has been a positive experience for me but I like to buy far more than sell. I have found my best deals on Craigslist, I've begged at least a couple of guys who were giving away cymbals basically, to ship to me and I wasn't trying to fraud them.

Back