Anyone else get discouraged selling on Craigslist because of all the flakes and low-ballers?

zarrdoss

Gold Member
I am officially through trying to sell stuff on CL because off all the miserly self entitled slackers! Today I was trying to sell a nameless snare in new condition still in the box, I marked it down 22% of anywhere you could find it new online. Some @$$clown comes to look and only living about a mile away was only 25 minutes late from the time we agreed on, why is it so hard for anyone to be punctual these days? Anyway as soon as he walked in I could tell what I was dealing with. Then as soon as he asked what I was asking I said to myself "here we go". I replied $XXX just like it said in my add and he said well I can get it brand new online for 9 bucks more. I called BS and said show me, after fiddling with his"smartphone" for 5 minutes he show me a pic of the same snare in a smaller size in an expired e-bay add plus shipping. I was completely dumbfounded that anyone could be so stupid. I said well I really don't care what you can dig up on your stinking phone this one right here is going for $XXX firm. I was just about ready to tell him to leave then he replied well I'll think it over and left. He probably did not even have what I was asking to begin with and thought he could talk me down even though my add said FIRM,
So I pulled my add and just decided to keep my snare, one nice thing about not really having to sell. Because of this and many other twits like this I am not going to even try selling anything on CL anymore. Anyone else have horror stories like this? Whats wrong with people today?

Re: Anyone else get discouraged selling on Craigslist because off all the flakes and low-ballers?

"I will give you 100 for the black beauty."

Snare sells about 800 new, it is a Super Sensitive. 400-500 is a good price on the used market in excellent condition.

Mostly I have had good results on CL, until recently. Lately its been either no responses or stupid responses.

Re: Anyone else get discouraged selling on Craigslist because off all the flakes and low-ballers?

Hmmm, you gotta thicken your skin. Especially for low ballers. Think about it, its easy for them to sit on their butt and fire off some absurd low number in email and see what happens. They are just trying you out.

It sucks to read their emails, but I simply delete, immediately, or no reply. They are a joke. Sometimes I reply that they are dreamers and have no idea what they are talking about.

Now not showing up. That's way worse.

I never use Craigslist when you are showing up with cash for a transaction. A guy I know locally was robbed at gunpoint when he went to purchase a laptop. He was with his girlfriend and they were both lucky to walk away alive. I know a lot of people have great success and purchases with Craigslist, but it's a safety issue for me.

I've never purchased from CL but I have sold, cash only...in the several times I have sold, I have them meet me where I work during lunch time; public place, lots of people coming and going and I tell them up front not to show if they think they will drive me down on price. Let's not waste either of our time.

The 1 or 2 times I've had folks come to the house to purchase, I've done the transaction right outside the garage door entrance in the driveway on Saturday afternoons....my 90lb american bulldog and 75lb gsd/pit mix are hanging out right there in the open garage and everything goes smooth and cordial. You cannot be too careful with CL liaisons and I leave nothing to chance...especially when you are inviting an unknown person to your residence.

I am a low-baller, and I try to get the best price I can. I'm also a realist, and I know when I see a price, I can get it maybe for 20 to 30 less than the price shown if they are motivated to sell. I hate it when people say the price is "firm". They are not motivated sellers and won't negotiate. I mean, wtf, is this a brick-n-mortar store? Why wouldn't you negotiate? Bump up the price 20 bucks and negotiate. I usually don't even call these "firm-price" people anyway because these are the people who are difficult, and why the hell would you advertise a firm price on C/L anyway? That's not the way it works. Sorry.

As far as safety goes, I usually just buy music stuff from good neighborhoods where there are people like me. Safety has never been an issue, but I am very aware of those bad deals that have gone down now and then that you hear about. Some guy got shot and killed in front of his son a couple months ago over a cell phone deal. We're talking about getting killed over just a couple hundred bucks. Life is cheap.

My Tama drum set was advertised for 250 and I got it for 220. It was being advertised for a month and a half before I bought it, so the guy was willing to come down a little or else the thing won't sell. I personally would never buy a Black Beauty anywhere because I think those things are way over-priced, even used. When you think about what you can get in the 250 to 400 range, it would be silly for a guy like me to buy a Black Beauty.

I am a low-baller, and I try to get the best price I can. I'm also a realist, and I know when I see a price, I can get it maybe for 20 to 30 less than the price shown if they are motivated to sell. I hate it when people say the price is "firm". They are not motivated sellers and won't negotiate. I mean, wtf, is this a brick-n-mortar store? Why wouldn't you negotiate? Bump up the price 20 bucks and negotiate. I usually don't even call these "firm-price" people anyway because these are the people who are difficult, and why the hell would you advertise a firm price on C/L anyway? That's not the way it works. Sorry.

As far as safety goes, I usually just buy music stuff from good neighborhoods where there are people like me. Safety has never been an issue, but I am very aware of those bad deals that have gone down now and then that you hear about. Some guy got shot and killed in front of his son a couple months ago over a cell phone deal. We're talking about getting killed over just a couple hundred bucks. Life is cheap.

My Tama drum set was advertised for 250 and I got it for 220. It was being advertised for a month and a half before I bought it, so the guy was willing to come down a little or else the thing won't sell. I personally would never buy a Black Beauty anywhere because I think those things are way over-priced, even used. When you think about what you can get in the 250 to 400 range, it would be silly for a guy like me to buy a Black Beauty.

In fairness to you, I would not say dickering for $20-$30 off the sellers price makes you a low baller. Especially off $250. If you were reasonable and a good dude, which you probably are, most guys are gonna go $20 or $30 down to accommodate the deal.

I sell a lot of stuff on CL, and occasionally I'll buy. In our town, I don't usually bump into any safety factor or skeevy deals, and I tend to get what I ask for. Although the other day I did have someone wanting to buy a set of skis from me, who never showed, and stopped answering emails. That sucked.

I am officially through trying to sell stuff on CL because off all the miserly self entitled slackers! Today I was trying to sell a nameless snare in new condition still in the box, I marked it down 22% of anywhere you could find it new online. Some @$$clown comes to look and only living about a mile away was only 25 minutes late from the time we agreed on, why is it so hard for anyone to be punctual these days? Anyway as soon as he walked in I could tell what I was dealing with. Then as soon as he asked what I was asking I said to myself "here we go". I replied $XXX just like it said in my add and he said well I can get it brand new online for 9 bucks more. I called BS and said show me, after fiddling with his"smartphone" for 5 minutes he show me a pic of the same snare in a smaller size in an expired e-bay add plus shipping. I was completely dumbfounded that anyone could be so stupid. I said well I really don't care what you can dig up on your stinking phone this one right here is going for $XXX firm. I was just about ready to tell him to leave then he replied well I'll think it over and left. He probably did not even have what I was asking to begin with and thought he could talk me down even though my add said FIRM,
So I pulled my add and just decided to keep my snare, one nice thing about not really having to sell. Because of this and many other twits like this I am not going to even try selling anything on CL anymore. Anyone else have horror stories like this? Whats wrong with people today?

I've had my share of "craigslist people" too. Usually stuff over the phone; asking what the price was (when it's clearly in the ad), if they would take a trade for something like a dirt-bike, if I would take a check, etc.

What I find most shocking about your post is that you let this freak into your home. WTF?!

There are a lot of weirdos out there and now one of them knows where you live. I could be overreacting here but you just never know who these people know and/or what they're really up to.

I don't like bickering on price so I just decide what is the least I am willing to take for it and then try and sell at that price. If a month goes by and I still have it and really want to get rid of it then I might negotiate. I just listed it. The problem is is that these people don't feel like its a good deal unless they can talk you down some more. You could be selling the hope diamond for 50 bucks and they would still try and talk you down lower. Sorry but I am not going to feed someones ego and raise my price up 20 bucks so they can feel they talked me down so they can sleep at night.
I like craigslist and appreciate it unfortunately its all the weirdos like this that are ruining it for me. I just toss low ball offers in the trash when I get them . Don't get me started on e-bay. This guy was different, Like I said it was marked firm in my add but he probably did not have that and thought he could bicker and get me to go down to how much he had. It's usually an indicator of what you are dealing with when the person shows up in a car that's worth less than what you are selling. plus it looked like he had been wearing the same clothes for a month and smelled like an ash tray and fast food dumpster combined.
I am not usually worried about these guys because I carry a concealed .40 and my wife is in the other closed room with hers as well. But that is one of the reasons I wont be letting any of these people in my home anymore or if possible even know where I live. This guy made me feel uncomfortable, not scared, more angry than anything and was just generally offensive. I usually do all my transactions in the garage or meet in a public place but it has been cold here lately and was in a hurry because he said he could meet now, not three Fridays from now. Maybe if the economy gets better and people are not such tightwads but for now I will probably just keep what I have.
Thanks for the replies and thoughts guys!

I don't like bickering on price so I just decide what is the least I am willing to take for it and then try and sell at that price. If a month goes by and I still have it and really want to get rid of it then I might negotiate. I just listed it. The problem is is that these people don't feel like its a good deal unless they can talk you down some more. You could be selling the hope diamond for 50 bucks and they would still try and talk you down lower. Sorry but I am not going to feed someones ego and raise my price up 20 bucks so they can feel they talked me down so they can sleep at night.
I like craigslist and appreciate it unfortunately its all the weirdos like this that are ruining it for me. I just toss low ball offers in the trash when I get them . Don't get me started on e-bay. This guy was different, Like I said it was marked firm in my add but he probably did not have that and thought he could bicker and get me to go down to how much he had. It's usually an indicator of what you are dealing with when the person shows up in a car that's worth less than what you are selling. plus it looked like he had been wearing the same clothes for a month and smelled like an ash tray and fast food dumpster combined.
I am not usually worried about these guys because I carry a concealed .40 and my wife is in the other closed room with hers as well. But that is one of the reasons I wont be letting any of these people in my home anymore or if possible even know where I live. This guy made me feel uncomfortable, not scared, more angry than anything and was just generally offensive. I usually do all my transactions in the garage or meet in a public place but it has been cold here lately and was in a hurry because he said he could meet now, not three Fridays from now. Maybe if the economy gets better and people are not such tightwads but for now I will probably just keep what I have.
Thanks for the replies and thoughts guys!

I like the carry concealed...but still would never again let them go inside your home. You or your wife could get hurt or you could shoot someone, and with today's "Save the criminal" legal system could get in a lot of legal trouble.

Talk to them on the phone first, feel them out as human being and explain the dickering rules.

I don't mind all that much having folks come to the garage for a deal..if someone wanted to come back and try to hit my joint, it would be suicide. I think that becomes clear once they see the 4 legged militia :)

The majority of CL transactions I've had have turned out great......................and like Les said, it's free. Most of my gear has been purchased used off CL

Unfortunately there are some lowlife scum that will take advantage of others and I think we've all heard plenty of the CL horror stories.

I'd rather buy local than fleabay, there may be safety issues........but if you are aware of your surroundings and plan accordingly, it should be ok..............................what I find funny is the guy selling beginner drums/cymbals for the price of a DW collectors................

I always insist on meeting in the police station parking lot when doing deals on CL.

I was trying to sell my vintage Fender Pro Reverb amp on craigslist. Someone started e-mailing me with lots of questions. Asked if I was interested in a trade plus cash. Said not. Then he offered to come over and make dinner for me and my wife. WTF ??

I was trying to sell my vintage Fender Pro Reverb amp on craigslist. Someone started e-mailing me with lots of questions. Asked if I was interested in a trade plus cash. Said not. Then he offered to come over and make dinner for me and my wife. WTF ??

Sounds legit...............

I never use Craigslist when you are showing up with cash for a transaction. A guy I know locally was robbed at gunpoint when he went to purchase a laptop. He was with his girlfriend and they were both lucky to walk away alive. I know a lot of people have great success and purchases with Craigslist, but it's a safety issue for me.

I ALWAYS arrange to meet in a public area, usually at peak traffic times. Guitar Center parking lot is a fave of mine, it happens to be centrally located to most people and there are cars and people everywhere.

I tend to suss out the lowballers early. I stay firm on my price, and the prices I've asked for have all been fair (50-60% off what it would cost new from the store).

Because I'm also a pretty big dude, it might give them second thoughts to try something with me. I guess that's an advantage. It is tricky and you have to be extremely careful, but until feebay does something to make it actually fair to sell stuff on their site without the sales getting sucked up by fees, this is the way I do it.

craigs has become a joke. I currently have two beautiful kits, and two beautiful snares that just sit there with no buyers. Just scammers and low-ball offers.
I don't care because if I don't sell them, I still get to play them :)

People are people, and some of them are going to try to lowball you, some are going to be late or flake out all together, and some are going to meet with you and then decide "no, nevermind." That's just the way it is. People are going to act the way they're going to act. Discouraged? No, it's a free internet service to bring people together, and there are no intrinsic rules--I'm actually thankful for the ease of use. Annoyed? Yeah, sometimes, but like I said, people are people, and you've got to roll with it.

If you're discouraged or disappointed, then your expectations of how your encounter is going to go are too high.

Craigslist changes a lot depending on where you are. I've bought and sold plenty of gear through craigslist (I still own a DW/Craviotto, '70s LM402, Eliminator double pedal, a couple cymbals, my Mesa/Boogie and purple Splawn cab, some guitar pedals, microphones, a tube compressor, current audio interface, monitors...) and although I've had my fair share of dumbasses, I tend to ignore them since the good more than outweighs the bad.

When I was in Boston, it seemed like everyone was asking too much for their stuff and wouldn't negotiate at all, and when I was selling, people would constantly offer me half of what I was asking. Now that I'm back in NC, people are much more open to negotiating prices, including myself, and it's a much easier sale. There's also a ton more cool stuff for sale on NC craigslist. Shoot, there are at least three 70s Ludwig kits - maple, stainless, and Vistalite!

Half of the craigslist deal is being patient. I also think you're a bad seller if you're not willing to negotiate your price on a no-name snare. Generally, a good rule of thumb is to sell any used item (that's not particularly unique) for no more than 2/3 its original value; that means 33% off. It's your prerogative, but you come across as someone with an overinflated sense of pride if you're not willing to negotiate and it makes things more difficult than it needs to be.

That's my two cents, at least.

Back