Got a used Club Date SE

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
I got me a used Club Date SE downbeat kit (12-14-20) in silver sparkle and I must say, it's awesome. I've been interested in these kits ever since they came out in 2012 and I was lucky enough to find and buy the first used one I've seen listed for sale locally. The guy bought them this past summer so they're like new except for a couple of scuffs on the BD hoops and for some odd reason the classic bracket on the Vibraband was switched with a generic bracket. I'm pretty anal about that stuff so I ordered a classic bracket to replace it.

I also ordered the matching 5x14 snare. I really like that Ludwig decided to do something different with the shell (4 ply cherry/gum with birch re-rings) instead of just making a snare out of the same shell as the kit. Shows that they care how the thing sounds as opposed to just making a matching wood snare.

I sold my Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz to buy this kit and as much as I like those kits this is definitely a step or two up. Hardware all around is about the same (except of course for that awful mini-GTS on the Gretsch). If you don't like the center mounted lug then there isn't much I could say to convince you. I personally love the look. The rail mount is very solid and flexible except perhaps in the height department. The Gretsch tom post might beat it for that but it's not a huge deal. The spurs are gull-wing and seem to hold well enough even though I prefer Pearl-style spurs like on the Gretsch. Once again not a deal breaker.

Where the difference is most apparent is the shells. The CD cherry-gum shells are really nice and sound fantastic. The tone (and overtones) of the toms is much more pleasing to the ear. The stock bass drum head is terrible so I'll be more able to assess the sound once I replace it. I'm not worried 'cause I can already hear the potential waiting to get out.

I promise I'll get some pics up tomorrow. I probably won't get to gig these babies until January. Can't wait!

Here's a stock photo for now. I have the Gibraltar flat base stands which will go great with these. I think this may be my new favorite kit beating out my Renown. Uh oh.

Real pics tomorrow.
Ludwig-Club-Date-SE-Silver-Sparkle-LR320DX-Rhythm-Traders.jpg

Congrats! Those are really nice drums. I think what you're liking about it is the 30-degree rounded bearing edges. That has alot to do with the sound. Sometimes a 45-degree bearing edge can't be coaxed to sound like the vintage kits from back in the day.

I was debating getting one of these to be a second kit, but I ended up getting a better primary kit instead ;)

Congratulations on the kit. It looks really sweet. Happy playing.

Congrats! Those are really nice drums. I think what you're liking about it is the 30-degree rounded bearing edges. That has alot to do with the sound. Sometimes a 45-degree bearing edge can't be coaxed to sound like the vintage kits from back in the day.

I was debating getting one of these to be a second kit, but I ended up getting a better primary kit instead ;)

The edges are probably a huge factor. Whatever it is, it sounds amazing. Ludwig rocks!

Okay, here are a few pics. Decided to slap on some EC2s that I already had. Sounds FAT. Got a Powerstroke for the bass drum. Now this puppy is punchy as hell. The last picture showcases the beautiful shell interiors nicely. Totally in love with these drums!

qav1.jpg

7hsf.jpg

qxq3.jpg

rg7y.jpg

6pab.jpg

Love it! Makes me wish my '67 Club dates were silver sparkle also. Very nice.

The silver sparkle is very nice and looks better in person. Some of the pics with the flash make it look like grey dots on white. I think if I had bought the kit new I might have picked a different color. Either ruby sparkle or white pearl. But I'm happy with the silver. My least favorite is the olive sparkle but I would have bought it anyway had it been that color. I suspect it looks better in person too.

Yes a beauty. These sound wonderful I agree. Renowns are just as warm but much louder in my opinion. Classy kit !

I'm not entirely sure if it's stained but there seems to be some kind of finish in there. Doesn't look like raw wood to me.

Yep, a flat hi-hat is in my future. Eventually.

I'm not entirely sure if it's stained but there seems to be some kind of finish in there. Doesn't look like raw wood to me.

Yep, a flat hi-hat is in my future. Eventually.

hmmm... canw e get a pick of the inside of the kick drum through the port hole?

Sure but it might have to wait til next week. Kit is put away. I think I've seen some pics of the interiors on the net though.

Back