Powered Speaker suggestion for Roland SPD-SX

PeteN

Silver Member
HI guys....I want to buy a Powered Speaker for my Roland Spd-sx to use along when I play my acoustic kit.

I was thinking about a Mackie SRM450v2 Active Speaker, but not sure if that's overkill.

Or....a JBL EON 515XT 15" Powered PA Speaker

Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

HI guys....I want to buy a Powered Speaker for my Roland Spd-sx to use along when I play my acoustic kit.

I was thinking about a Mackie SRM450v2 Active Speaker, but not sure if that's overkill.

Or....a JBL EON 515XT 15" Powered PA Speaker

Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

I have been using a pair of the JBL EON 15" powered speakers for about 7 years and they totally rock. They sound great, they are tough as hell and they are reasonably easy to set up. My only complaint is they're pretty heavy but that's just unavoidable.

I don't have any experience with Mackie speakers but you can't go wrong with Mackie and I use a Mackie mixer.

I use an spd SX with acoustics and I use a qsc k10 as my monitor/amp. It works well for me. If I was to start over I'd probably get a k12, but I'm very happy with the k10. I'm sure a 15" speaker will def handle the thump. I just wonder about the highs.

Another plus, the k10 is small and lightweight. Drummers have enough gear to haul around.

I am really happy with my Mackie system that i use for playback. I use two Mackie SRM350v2 monitors and one Mackie DLM12S subwoofer in my practice room. This allows great sound when I use the set up to input MP3 songs into my Mackie 402-VLZ3 mixer.

Overkill ... you bet.
Great sound ... guaranteed.
Resale value ... solid.

GJS

It depends on your budget. I have owned the Rokit 5's, which are OK and cheap ($200 used easily). They are not "accurate" or "flat" in the sense Yamaha monitors are, and have a"bump" in the midrange, with less than stellar highs.

I also have the Yamaha HS80M monitors ($450 used) hooked up to my TV for home theatre and music, and they are great, with 8" drivers. They rival hard-core audiophile gear, (which I have also owned). Their little brothers, the HS50M are generally about $300 used.
tracer

If your budget permits it, go with an upper-end brand like JBL, Mackie or Roland. The next tier down would include Peavey. Behringer does some things OK but it's mostly junk.

well i do have the funds to buy the mackie or jbl and was just looking at the great reviews on the Behringer model spleen recommended, so the thought of saving money is nice but I have bad luck with cheap things...I buy the cheap stuff and it breaks others buy cheap stuff that seems to last lol.

Spleen....was looking at that one too, do you use that with a roland spd-sx?

Not yet--I've been torn between the SPD-SX and Yamaha's DTX Multi 12 but I think the Roland's sampling capacity and UI are going to make that the better choice for me. Right now I'm using an Octopad and Alesis DM5.

DMC is correct in that Behringer makes a lot of sub-par gear but I've been pleasantly surprised by the B215D. It's very crisp and clean, even at high volumes. I was ready to buy either a Mackie or Yamaha but after hearing this I thought I didn't have much to lose ($275 is pretty cheap for something like this) and I've been extremely satisfied.

I think you would be very pleased with a Yorkville NX550. Yorkville products also come with a two year warranty. That alone should tell you something about their quality.

Hey guys...went to my local GC and compared the mackie srm450, the behringer 215 and the jbl eon. The mackie sounded the best and almost bought it till the guy at GC routed the music through a Yamaha DXR15 and oh man I could not resist the sound of the DXR15!

I spent $150 more than I wanted but I really like this speaker.

I'll eventually buy a powered speaker like this.

Just wondering if there was much of a weight difference between the models mentioned (speaker size being the same, 12" vs 12", 15" vs 15".

I had to lug a borrowed Behringer up a stair case for a gig. That's why I'm curious.

Jim

I run mine thru my Mackie 1530's which doubles as our PA.

I have some smaller powered speakers but the Mackies are actually easier to transport because they fit better on a hand truck.

Hey guys...went to my local GC and compared the mackie srm450, the behringer 215 and the jbl eon. The mackie sounded the best and almost bought it till the guy at GC routed the music through a Yamaha DXR15 and oh man I could not resist the sound of the DXR15!

I spent $150 more than I wanted but I really like this speaker.

Excellent choice--glad you found something you're happy with. I had one of those on my short list and probably would have went with it if I weren't such a tightwad. ;-)

Excellent choice--glad you found something you're happy with. I had one of those on my short list and probably would have went with it if I weren't such a tightwad. ;-)

You know being a tightwad is a good thing, I'm working on it but I was so weak lol

Thanks again

You know being a tightwad is a good thing, I'm working on it but I was so weak lol

Thanks again

I hear ya brother--hard to resist something that sounds so beautiful. Sort of reminds me of how Ulysses tied himself to the mast of his ship so he wouldn't jump into the sea when he heard the Siren's song. Sometimes I manage to resist but sometimes I just rip through the freaking binds and jump overboard. ;-)

BTW, how are you liking the SPD-SX?

I hear ya brother--hard to resist something that sounds so beautiful. Sort of reminds me of how Ulysses tied himself to the mast of his ship so he wouldn't jump into the sea when he heard the Siren's song. Sometimes I manage to resist but sometimes I just rip through the freaking binds and jump overboard. ;-)

BTW, how are you liking the SPD-SX?

I'm loving it....it's great to use along with my drum kit during practice and in the future I hope to use it with one of my bands. I do like the yamaha dtx multi as well and was also undecided on which to get till my brother bought me the roland spd-sx for a christmas present :) So...that settled the tough decision!

Hi
Can you tell more about your use of the Spd-sx...with an acoustic kit. Easy to use? Program?Input loops? Set up? Thanks Denis

Back