Bill Bruford

"Footloose in NYC" is a great DVD of Earthworks. Get it, you'll thank me.

Good luck on your log drum.

TOMANO

Thanks for the tip Tomano.

Just ordered the DVD!

I have a local friend woodworker that agreed to help me make a log drum. His daughter is a drummer also so we'll make one for her at the same time.

So, I ordered "Footloose in NYC" and had my wife give it to me from Santa...

Nice to see Bruford playing...but....

1. The camera angles are very poor. Not enough time spent watching Bruford. I don't want to see his face while he's playing some tricky thing. I want to see his hands/feet. Also, too much time was spent focusing on the other musicians while Bruford is playing something interesting. It's nice to see them, but this is Bruford's band isn't it?

2. Bruford has an interesting approach to jazz drumming. Not at all traditional. It works with the style of music they are playing, but I can't say it's really for me. I'm more into the modern bop, be-bop, hard-bop style drumming of today. That of the Bill Stewart, Brian Blade, etc. approach.

3. I think the whole weirdo drum set configuration is a gimmick. Please don't flame me for saying this. I am a huge Bruford fan from Yes -> Crimson. But I'm watching him play....and I'm thinking he could get the same thing out of a more traditional set up. Don't get it. Perhaps it feels most comfortable with his chosen grip?....

4. I thought his French grip w/Butt end in left hand was good for Rock/Progressive stuff...but seems a little bizzaahh for jazz comping in the left hand. I would not think of playing ghost notes with the butt end. He does get nice rim shots though.

Those were my first thoughts watching this DVD.

Still haven't made the log drum yet.

I just picked up the Earthworks Underground Orchestra CD. Very nice. Highly recomended.

I highly recomend the Bruford/Bordslap DVD. His best work on film so far IMO. Great playing.

Sensational on any Crimson or Yes album but took the 'Batterie" to new heights
on 'Dicipline'.
I'll second that, just picked it up again recently and still trying to understand everything he's doing.

I repeat myself when under stress I repeat myself when under stress I repeat myself when und........

i just had the pleasure of watching the esteemed Mr Bruford live at the Bath jazz festival (i also saw courtny pine) with Michel(sp?) Borstlap.

Tremendous drummer, very melodic, fit's with Borstlap's piano perfectly. Did some very sparse, minimalist drumming, which created a very atmospheric sound. Until the next track, where he really let loose with some serious groove.

There were some brilliant moments when they went on separate tangents, only to come back in perfectly in time!

Last edited:
Bill Bruford is amazing! I saw him at a clinic a few weeks ago and was completely BLOWN away. Such coordination independance. Made me want to go out and get some King Crimson records.

I had a chance to buy his bubinga tama kit, autographed. For 3500. but im saving for a new pearl referance. But man, does that kit ever sound nice!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the link to his home page. I was watching ABWH live on video. The version of "close to the edge is fantastic." At the Paiste web site you can search his current cymbal set-up. His home page has a pretty comprehensive list of equipment used over the years. A very original musician and he appears to have a "natural" approach to playing the instrument. Very fluid for what is sometime not so smoothly flowing music around him.

He's one of my all time fav's. I saw King Crimson once and as luck would have it Bill didn't play on that tour. If fact I don't think he's been with them in years, has he? Pardon me for my ignorance.

I just missed out on seeing him at a clinic here in Toronto at one of the better Drum stores, it was only $12 and I was committed to something else that day.

It seems like on the YES albums it's what he doesn't play rather than what he does play that is noticeable to me. I love the early YES and I think RED is my favorite CK album with him playing. If you check out the cover on the Masterworks album it seems to show just how muscular he is on his forearms and even his wrists.

I just missed out on seeing him at a clinic here in Toronto at one of the better Drum stores, it was only $12 and I was committed to something else that day.

It seems like on the YES albums it's what he doesn't play rather than what he does play that is noticeable to me. I love the early YES and I think RED is my favorite CK album with him playing. If you check out the cover on the Masterworks album it seems to show just how muscular he is on his forearms and even his wrists.
Cool... I love the title track "red". What an original blues tune, huh? I read a story how he used a severely broken cymbal he found laying around for the effects on "one more red nightmare".

Last edited:
The things Bill did! Like his crazy woodblocks in the middle section of Starless when he'd fallen under Jamie Muir's improv spell (KC's fabulous ex-percussionist).

Like everyone I find his broken cymbal pangs during One More Red Nightmare special.

But it was on Discipline that he really took off, in my mind, after being asked by Bob Fripp to avoid using cymbals because it competed with the frequency of the guitar gamelan thing he was getting going with Adrian Belew. Bill B does a fair Billy Cobham impersonation in Frame By Frame and his subtle variations in Thela Hun Ginjeet and the title track are also really satisfying when you're in a "lock in on the drumming" mood.

I always found him interesting and entertaining; he was always coming up with cool sounds and ideas, including his famous snappy snare sound.

Last edited:
I noticed the new autobiography is set for a March 1, 2009 release. Who is going to get this?

That's interesting. I didn't know that BB was releasing an autobiography. He does seem to be winding down and seeing his career as something that's in the past than in the future so it makes sense to write a book.

Love his drumming but, alas, I don't think there will be too many tales of wild partying or smashing hotel rooms. We might get his punch up with Chris Squire and some insider info on musical geniuses like Bob Fripp and Jamie Muir, though.

In the current Jazz Times he talks about retiring. The mag says the autobiography will be out in May. He has some snipets from it on his website.

Last edited:
That's interesting. I didn't know that BB was releasing an autobiography. He does seem to be winding down and seeing his career as something that's in the past than in the future so it makes sense to write a book.

Love his drumming but, alas, I don't think there will be too many tales of wild partying or smashing hotel rooms. We might get his punch up with Chris Squire and some insider info on musical geniuses like Bob Fripp and Jamie Muir, though.

lol,
Good point....we might get some nice insight into the goings on of Mr. Fripp and company but you're right, Bill is no Keith Moon on the party front. I have not been keeping up with Earthworks, but when BB retires he will be truly missed.

Back