I have just been given the best present ever.....vintage snare inside!

BrokenGlass

So my girlfriends brothers future grandmother in law (if that makes sense) told me the other day she had a drum that was her husbands that she wanted to give me. Her husband died about six months ago and was a very talented trumpet player and played many other instruments as well. She said it was very old and wanted it to go to a good home.

Tonight after dinner I went to pick it up. She told me it was down in the basement so I went down there to get it. As I walked towards what looked to be a blue suitcase I noticed a round badge on the top, yellow, with the words Ludwig Drum Co. Chicago ILL.

Well of course you can guess at this point im freaking out, so in the dimly lit basement I had to see what was inside. So I open up the case as quickly as possible to check it out. In the case is a black cloth kind of bag with a snare in it, on top of that is a towel with a stand in it. In the box in a side compartment is a WFL snare stand top, very old drumsticks, and a box. On the white box in red letters it reads "WIRE BRUSHES ludwig drum company makers: WFL drums". So by this point i'm about to piss my pants in excitement.

I put all the stuff to the side and pick up the snare. I remove it from its bag and the light hits it. What is it you may ask?! Well after a quick lookup on the internet it is this!!!!

Vintage Ludwig 5 x 14 Supraphonic - Early 1960s Brass Shell
c-lub002s.jpg

As soon as I saw it I was grinning from ear to ear! It's in near mint condition! There is no pitting, no rust, no anything besides some smudges and a few spots. It still has the original heads on both sides, original snares, original felt sound dampener, everything! I am so excited words cannot express.

I plan on taking some pictures of this beauty tomorrow for you all to drool over. I just had to hop on here and tell you all the crazy story as soon as I could!

I have never seen such an old drum in such amazing condition, on top of that all the goodies to go along with it, and a hard shell case like I have never seen as well!

Upon looking around further i'm not sure if it's brass or not, i'll have to get the numbers and what not tomorrow as i'm off to new years it up. Either way, it's love. :)

HOLY CRAP! I'm so excited for you man! You should upload some sound files so we can hear what that baby sounds like!

HOLY CRAP! I'm so excited for you man! You should upload some sound files so we can hear what that baby sounds like!

after I get new heads and get over my fear of playing on it i'll get something recorded for sure.

Anyone with an older drum like this have suggestions on heads?

I usually use evans hd dry, but i'm thinking of just going with a regular remo coated to stick with the vintage feel.

Uggghhh!!!!! I can't even imagine how excited you were. Lucky man!

I still can't believe it. I've actually been looking at vintage drums for a while now and I can't believe I just fell into this one. I hope to get a brady and or a rogers in the future as well.

That's a beautiful Supra. Is it as perfect as it looks in the picture?

It's probably a Ludalloy shell.

That's a beautiful Supra. Is it as perfect as it looks in the picture?

It's probably a Ludalloy shell.

just as perfect. I was thinking it may be ludalloy but it's pretty heavy. I'm going to look up ways to see the difference today.

If there is no serial number its brass, also brass did not pit like the ludloy from that era, you probably have a brass drum. Which might I add is worth about 1000-1200 dollars. Is it really heavy? If so then its a rap and its brass. Even if its NOT brass its STILL like a 500 dollar drum, that is a great story as well congrats!
mikey o

Sounds like you were handed a treasure. That is a drum you keep and pass on to your kids.

I have the same drum. I love it, i have yet to find a situation it can't cover.

Enjoy

If there is no serial number its brass, also brass did not pit like the ludloy from that era, you probably have a brass drum. Which might I add is worth about 1000-1200 dollars. Is it really heavy? If so then its a rap and its brass. Even if its NOT brass its STILL like a 500 dollar drum, that is a great story as well congrats!
mikey o

there is a serial number which led me to belive it was ludloy but it is super heavy and has NO signs of pitting or any other serious issues for that matter, which is why I was thinking brass in the first place. Once I take it apart to give it a super nice polish i'll take some filings and see for sure.

Sounds like you were handed a treasure. That is a drum you keep and pass on to your kids.

I have the same drum. I love it, i have yet to find a situation it can't cover.

Enjoy

I tell you just giving it a quick tap I can tell it's love already. WIth original heads, prob. not tuned for at least 10 years, sounds great.

What are you using headwise? Like I said before i've always gone with evans dry, but i'd like to try something new and stick with an older style.

Go with the tried and true coated Ambassador batter / Ambassador snare side. If you put an Evans dry on, you'll suck all the life out of that drum.

Yes, I have an older Luddy as well. Go with the coated ambassador.

And serious congrats on the find....I've often fantasized about someone handing me down an old ludwig like that... Sweet!!

there is a serial number which led me to belive it was ludloy but it is super heavy and has NO signs of pitting or any other serious issues for that matter, which is why I was thinking brass in the first place. Once I take it apart to give it a super nice polish i'll take some filings and see for sure.

If its real heavy then I would have to say it is. Also the chrome over brass drums don't really pit at all. They saty really clean unless they were abused. This drum looks fricken brand new. If it is like 9-10 pounds then you have brass my freind. I think you can email ludwig with the serial number and they can confirm it. Regardless that thing is awesome what a great gift~!
mike

That is such an unbelievably nice drum, you're a very lucky man to be able to have that for free. It's amazing the things that some old people leave behind. And yeah don't bother putting a dry head on it you want that beautiful heavy brass shell to be as WET sounding as possible!

wowowowowow. nice man. what a find. i love my vintage ludwig supra. its a 6.5" though and it sounds like heaven. such nice drums. i run an emperor coated on the batter side with an ambassador clear on the resonant. i even got the 42 strand snare system set up. i will never sell or get rid of this snare. its a lifetime keeper.

Congratulations on the treasure of your life!

It sounds like the original Ludwig Supa Phonic snare case with space for the original stand and a pair of sticks.. right?

I have a ´64 alloy supra.. my favorite snare!

It sounds like youve got a brass one! I'm pretty sure.. sixties alloy supras with no pitting is almost impossible. AND alloy ones are super light! So if yours is "pretty heavy" IT*S BRASS!

A very rare drum.. NEVER SELL IT!! You'll regret it the rest of your life!

Again: congratulations!!!

Back