Remo Vintage Emperor vs. not vintage

fickpack

So I like to have me some warmth and punch in my toms, and I've been getting pretty good results with Remo black suedes on the batter and clear ambassador on the reso. However, I listened to a kit with some coated emperors on the toms and I almost choked on my spit, they sounded so good. BUT, I later stumbled upon the vintage coated emperors, which, surprise, claim to give you that big vintage sound. So my question is, would it make a huge difference either way if I went with the vintage or non-vintage coated emperors? What are the differences between the two?

I use Vintage. They sound warmer to me. I haven't had a coating issue with them either. Both are nice sounding heads.

The difference isn't HUGE, but there definitely is a difference. The Vintage Emps are indeed a little warmer.

I wouldn't ditch a perfectly good set of Emperors to switch over, but the next time you change heads, I think you'd be pleased if you tried the Vintages.

I put vintage emp. on my Ludwig Epic's & love em'. the vintage emp. are a little more thicker head than modern emp. so you get a more controlled sound.

Bonzolead

Both the heads are two ply. But the vintage emperors are 7.5 mils per ply, and the regular are just 7 mils per ply. Total, there is only a 1 mil, or one thousandth of an inch, difference between the too, the vintage being the thicker one.

I found that the Vintage Emps on the larger toms i.e my 16" floor tom sounded very dead. I tried these with coated Amb and Vintage coated Ambs and could not get a good sound out of them. They did sound good on my 14" though.

I use both on my toms. Switching back and forth when I change heads There is a slight difference with the vintage emps being ever so slightly warmer. Seeing as that's the case I make sure that the tom's match ie both coated emps or both coated vintage emps. I use single ply resos but am not particular about the brand. I use powerstroke heads on snare and bass. Usually powerstroke 4 but my bass has a 3 on it currently. Hard to go wrong with Remo. Use either emperors and you'll be able to get a good sound from your drums.

So I like to have me some warmth and punch in my toms, and I've been getting pretty good results with Remo black suedes on the batter and clear ambassador on the reso. However, I listened to a kit with some coated emperors on the toms and I almost choked on my spit, they sounded so good. BUT, I later stumbled upon the vintage coated emperors, which, surprise, claim to give you that big vintage sound. So my question is, would it make a huge difference either way if I went with the vintage or non-vintage coated emperors? What are the differences between the two?

I was told the Vintage Emperors (which I've used) are slightly thicker. Not sure if its the mylar, or just more coating, but that all contributes to the warmer tones.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'll go with the vintage based on your responses along with some reviews I've read...my kit is gonna sound sexy. Of course, there's always the black suede again if i don't like the vintage emperors lol.

Back