Best Double Bass Drum Pedal

The modern day pedals have way too many adjustments for my taste. I'm always down on the floor playing with all the settings just to see if I can make something better, It never ends!
Give me a set of pedals that I can take out of the box, clamp them to my hoops, put my feet on them, set the tension and do the frigg'in dance. Now that would be the best double pedal!

Anyone ever see or try these pedals?
http://www.airlogic.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
No vids, and no worthwhile reviews that I could find...although I didn't do any real deep research. I say it's a no-go.

Plus, I didn't like the website. Now that may be shallow of me...it is, but oh well.

The idea seems....interesting, though!

Dblbig.jpg

Ya, not the best website, It hasn't changed in years. I called and talked to the owner some 8 to 10 years ago, he said there is a rubber bladder that holds the air pressure and the bladder is pretty much bullet proof. $225.00 for a single and $575.00 for the double. If you go to the website you can see the adustable cam system.The owner is an engineer for one of the auto companys and plays drums, he said at one point he took the pedal to the namm show and a japanese guy from pearl drum bought one of the pedals and took it back home with him and then the next thing ya know pearl comes out with there adjustable cam system. Pearl just had to do the cam system a little bit different because of the patent, so they went with the plastic changable cams. Pearl must not of been interested in the air pressure idea or they couldn't find a way to redisign it to get around the pattent.

It seems like a cool concept but there just isn't anywhere to try one out and the company dosen't seem to have done anything to promote it.

I've played dozens of different pedals. My favorite is the Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive double pedal. Extremely smooth and I love the fact it can change between a long board and a short board.

Attachments

• 248870_127614427395608_1333960428_n.jpg
    248870_127614427395608_1333960428_n.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 3,997
You will get a hundred opinions and they are all good for those expressing them . My opinion is this . I think pedals are like shoes, you have to walk with them on! . But here is how I buy pedals . First I spend a lot of time playing one that is set up correctly in the music store . I go back at least 3 times and play that pedal for 15 minutes to a half hour minimally. Then I go back and try the others that I am interested in the same way. Then I find out the return policy , and if it meets with my approval, I buy the one that I like the best and bring it home . I save all the boxes receipts, packing materials, everything and play my regular practice routine for at least three different sittings . I bought pedals one month ago. First, Tama Iron Cobras, then after 3 days I hated them, took them back, then dw 9002 another 4 days liked them a lot but the footboard after tons of different adjustment just didn't feel right, guess what? ,back to the store and ended up with a pair of Tama Speed Cobras that I had tried originally and didn't like them . Bought them, tweaked them and played them over a week and I love them. The guy at guitar center hates me and youi know what I sa, y to h--ll with him. lol. I am happy!

I was playing on an old set of DW4000's (very old) for a while, and upgraded to the Axis Longboard A's. It's true that the rebound off the bass drum isn't as much, however I've found them to be lighter to any other pedal I've played on, and you can find the sweet spot on the board to get just the right amount of rebound for the speed you're playing at. They feel just as comfortable at slow speeds as they do at fast speeds, which is a hell of a lot more than most other pedals.

On another note, after buying the Axis I went to the AUDW convention in Melbourne, Australia, and tried the Sleishmens, and subsequently went home that day and reconfigured my kit to use the 'V' set up (I only have one bass drum so it looks a bit odd on stage), and my god the different is amazing. Those pedals are absolute genius and if didn't own the Axis I'd definetly be playing those. I'm playing on a 7 peice and have one floor tom on each side, with 3 rack toms horizontally centered around the snare, and the V setup provides complete horizontal symmetry with the toms and the hats\ride (I play open left-handed so the hats sit out a bit), and it feels so much more comfortable. I geniuenly recommend either trying the Sleishmens or the V setup (especially if you have a large sized kit). Sorry for the digressing!

So after all that:
One up for both the Axis Longboard A's and for the Sleishmens.

I played a Tama Speedcobra for several months and I loved the pedal. I just played the single, but if the double version shares the same quality as it's single counterpart, they're truly the best double pedals on the market. I wish I still had it...

I went to play a small gig with a band and used another drummer's kit. I threw the speed cobra in the car and walked back inside. Someone of course, knew what it was, so when they spotted it in the car, they decided to grab it.

Almost $200 bucks down the crapper.

Anyway. A great pedal.

That's a damn shame EarthRocker, hate to hear that. All too common these days. As far as the Speed Cobras being the best on the market, I have to respectfully disagree. I now know not one set of pedals are best as I too thought the SC's would be the be all end all for me. I owned the Speeds for about two weeks and just could not take to them like I thought or hoped I would. I didn't like how light everything was, I didn't like the action of the long footboard, I couldn't find the sweet spot on it and was hard to keep my foot there when I did and in the end returned them for the Iron Cobra Powerglides.

The split second of just resting my foot on the pedal for the first time gave me a smile I'll never forget. The accelerated speed and power that the beater had felt so awesome. The pedal had that normal weight feel to it with a standard size footboard to a degree ( I believe it's still longer than a true standard footboard like found on DW's, Pearls etc ) and after about 30 minutes was back playing the way I knew how and better as it had extremely smooth and fast action both stroke and rebound. Compared to the DW3000 doubles these are like going from a VW Bug with rusted wheel bearings to a race ready Ferrari.

Though with that said I believe the pedal for me would be the DW 5000 accel drive or the DW9000. I feel that the footboard of the IC is just a touch too thick and heavy. I like the feel of the DW3000 footboard but not the performance of it. Also I will say here and now the DW 3000 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over priced for what it is. Way over priced.

Go to a drum shop that has a good selection and they them ALL out. I swear I tested 12 different models. That's the only way you're gonna know. I can tell you Iron Cobras are #OMFGTHEBESTPEDAL... but honestly your style and technique determines which model will best suit you because they ALL have slightly or vastly different feels and physics.

^^ No one wants to hear the truth! They want names hurled at them!

AXIS A21 Vector!

No! DW 9000!

No! Pearl Demon Drive!

No! Trick Pro-1V!

No! No! No!

I just recently found my true pedal soulmate, and that is the Axis A series pedals (regular "shortboard" model). Maximum spring tension, VDL around the middle, and I use either Danmar red wood or Axis Marksman beaters. Fantastico!

Dblbig.jpg

Ya, not the best website, It hasn't changed in years. I called and talked to the owner some 8 to 10 years ago, he said there is a rubber bladder that holds the air pressure and the bladder is pretty much bullet proof. $225.00 for a single and $575.00 for the double. If you go to the website you can see the adustable cam system.The owner is an engineer for one of the auto companys and plays drums, he said at one point he took the pedal to the namm show and a japanese guy from pearl drum bought one of the pedals and took it back home with him and then the next thing ya know pearl comes out with there adjustable cam system. Pearl just had to do the cam system a little bit different because of the patent, so they went with the plastic changable cams. Pearl must not of been interested in the air pressure idea or they couldn't find a way to redisign it to get around the pattent.

It seems like a cool concept but there just isn't anywhere to try one out and the company dosen't seem to have done anything to promote it.

For that much money I want software where I put in my height, weight, bass drum size, type of beater, genre of music, and typical volume, and it adjusts for me.

Go to a drum shop that has a good selection and they them ALL out. I swear I tested 12 different models. That's the only way you're gonna know. I can tell you Iron Cobras are #OMFGTHEBESTPEDAL... but honestly your style and technique determines which model will best suit you because they ALL have slightly or vastly different feels and physics.

I hear you but honestly..... I'm a bit shy to play in front of people. Yeah I can play, no doubt, but I can't PLAY. To me I think I know what I'm doing when I put together beats, grooves or just mess around with paradiddles but even then I get a bit shy in Guitar Center to even try and play with the pedals properly lol. I know I know.... I know what you're thinking but what can I do.

Maybe at some point I won't feel that way and will go mess about with a few pedals....

Just ordered a set of Demon Drive double pedals from my local drum shop. They should be here next week if not the following.

Can't wait to unbox them and start tinkering around with the features. This forum has many positive reviews on the pedal I'd love to know some of your settings.

Dblbig.jpg

They seemed to be doing alright and then had a brain hemorrhage when they decided on that footboard. That is the worst looking pedal I have ever seen. I think if they made bits out of brass and wood and made it into a 'steampunk' type pedal it would sell better. And look better.

Seems to be a common problem with pedal designers, innovation, style, function and flair all the way until they have to design the foot board and then their brain implodes:

http://www.mrpdrums.com/pedals/pedals.php I was considering buying a set of these and changing the board and heel plate but in the end it was too much time and money for something so ugly.

http://www.highwooddrums.co.uk/products/malleuspedals I am going to buy one of these - someday. It all looks so excellent until I envisage the discomfort playing barefoot, and the annoyance of shoe sole bits sticking to the slots. They need to not drill the slots all the way through, leave maybe 3mm or so on top and still have most of the advantages of making the board lighter.

They seemed to be doing alright and then had a brain hemorrhage when they decided on that footboard. That is the worst looking pedal I have ever seen. I think if they made bits out of brass and wood and made it into a 'steampunk' type pedal it would sell better. And look better.

Seems to be a common problem with pedal designers, innovation, style, function and flair all the way until they have to design the foot board and then their brain implodes:

http://www.mrpdrums.com/pedals/pedals.php I was considering buying a set of these and changing the board and heel plate but in the end it was too much time and money for something so ugly.

http://www.highwooddrums.co.uk/products/malleuspedals I am going to buy one of these - someday. It all looks so excellent until I envisage the discomfort playing barefoot, and the annoyance of shoe sole bits sticking to the slots. They need to not drill the slots all the way through, leave maybe 3mm or so on top and still have most of the advantages of making the board lighter.
+1 on your observations. And congrats on getting the Malleus.

What I dislike the most is when pedalplates look like the swivel motion would be awkward to do.

with double kicks it is a case of you get what you pay for. if your willing to spend out then get something like the pearl demon drive but were talking like 500 pound

I know I am going to show my age here, but after trying many pedals both double and single, the best pedal I have ever used for both rebound and speed was the Rogers Swivomatic, which had it all over the Ludwig Speedking..
In all seriousness, different pedal for different folks, you need to try a good sample before you just buy..

Back