New pedals - any recommendations?

Alexp1401

Okay, so my current pedals are nearly completely gone. They're being held in place by 6 cable ties on the primary pedal.

(Obviously I've cut them down)
1X4om

A few pedals (doubles) I've been looking at that I plan on being my next set are any of these:
DW 2000
DW 3002
DW 5000
Tama speed cobra
Tama power glide
Gibraltar Intruder direct drive

Any preferences for those or any other recommendations?
Don't really have any money so preferably low prices
Probably won't be a few months to a couple years til I get some

Last edited:
Probably won't be a few months to a couple years til I get some

Plenty of time to get your feet on some of 'em then.

They're all reputable brands.....this one is gonna come down to feel and comfort. Pedals are much like shoes, what one finds comfortable may not work for someone else. You owe it to yourself to spend a bit of time trying them out.

I would also look for a Taye Metalworks pedal. Very nice pedal. Maybe Bermuda will chime in since he uses one.

I would also look for a Taye Metalworks pedal. Very nice pedal. Maybe Bermuda will chime in since he uses one.

I'm assuming these are the TMW-D as they're all I could find by searching Taye pedal other than one on eBay which was the PSK602C, I couldn't find that one anywhere else, I'm assuming it's only sold in the UK.

If it is the TMW-D, then it's way out of my price range, I'm looking for something no more than about £300, although preferably not even £200, the last set I got were £80 and didn't last long, although they were an old pedal make.

Plenty of time to get your feet on some of 'em then.

They're all reputable brands.....this one is gonna come down to feel and comfort. Pedals are much like shoes, what one finds comfortable may not work for someone else. You owe it to yourself to spend a bit of time trying them out.

Yeah, but I can't afford to spend money on a couple sets, there's no drum stores near me either so I can't try any out. I can only really shop online for pedals.

Research, think it through, pull the trigger. Any band guys you know in the area? Ask them for advice, or better yet, if you can try out their pedals.

Based on your list and the pedals you currently play, I'd suggest the Iron Cobras or DW5000 as well. Tried and tested and the feel isn't too different from your existing pedals, I would imagine (that doesn't mean they will be less responsive, just the "weight" you feel when you use them).

If you're looking for an altogether different feel, I'd say the Speed Cobras. Even more so if you're interested in heel-toe. I tried them at the store and it was pretty easy to use the technique.

- Reggae Mangle

Save up then go to the nearest drum shop and spend a decent amount of time with all of your options. The last 2 pedals I bought mostly from impressions I read online (of course I had a go on them too) and neither of them were 100% right for me. I just sold off a demon drive and I've got a dw9000 coming, but I wasted time playing a pedal that didn't suit me when I should have just gone into a store and outstayed my welcome trying stuff until I was sure about what suited me.

I use a DW9002. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on Drummerworld about them and like all pedals, some people love them and some people hate them. It's all personal preference at the end of the day. Most people swear by Axis pedals and my friend bought a double the other day, I tried them and absolutely hated them.

I took a bit of a punt when I bought the DW though. I tried them in a shop and loved them so I bought them and when I played them I didn't like them. I had to mess with a few things to get them feeling good and now (2 years on and an Axis driveshaft later) they're perfect and exactly what I'm looking for.

All I can say is, don't do what I did and play it for 5 minutes, big mistake! You want to spend a good half an hour or so evaluating adjustability features and try many different settings to make sure they have the right action for you.

If you can't get to a store like you say, this is what I recommend:

If you like heavy and rugged - Tama Iron Cobra (power glide) and DW5000 Accelerator

If you like a heavy and smooth action - Mapex Falcon, Tama Iron Cobra (rolling glide) and DW5000 Turbo

If you like light and smooth - DW9000 and the Speed Cobra.

Happy hunting!

Back