Whats The Best Bass Drum Head??

Remo Powerstroke 3

If we're gonna be specific, get the Ebony version. That way, if you're in a band, you can stencil-spray stuff on there.

I want to buy a powersonic but need some pros and cons on the head. What do you think. I'm looking for the big boom without the ring or the pillow

can someone recommend a bass head that would get a clickier sound on a 24" bass?I do fast double bass and it getts a little muddy so I want to try something different.Thanks!

This is an old thread. I'm going to be completely sarcastic with this one: the best bass drum head is the one that's on the drum that got me the high-priced gig on a future date! ;)

Has anyone played the black suede PS3? I like tuning my bass drum low, and it's slighty higher pitched than the coated or clear PS3, so I might get a better low sound.
Anyone played it?

evans EMAD..! the best.! always.! no doubt.! no compare.! no competit.! no challange.! no dis/non/un/ex/en/de satisfaction.! mark my words.! :) \m/

can someone recommend a bass head that would get a clickier sound on a 24" bass?I do fast double bass and it getts a little muddy so I want to try something different.Thanks!

Super Kick 2, I have a 24 inch Sonor S Classix and the new head made a huge difference, the muddy sounding bass drum hits are more separate and easy to hear that separation, plus love the sound out of it. And as a cool bonus Aquarian heads right now are like half price. I paid $42 for the SK2 24 inch. Canada

If you don't want to go buying different heads to try them, go to some store like Gutair Center, to see if they let you try out the heads they have. Otherwise look up some sound tests.

go to some store like Gutair Center, to see if they let you try out the heads they have

Have you personally done this? Or did you just go around playing all the poorly-tuned stock chinese amb and PS3 type heads on all of the kits that were set up?

Do tell.

If you want to be using the same head in six or eight months then ps3 hands down. If you intend to change it every three months then by all means go with an emad. Both sound great out of the box but durability trumps at $45 bucks a pop. The ps3 is simply stronger than the emad and the super kick too for that matter. I change my heads a little more than necessary and keep a used set on hand always for just in case. When I get done with an emad it is unfit for a backup role. The life is literally kicked out of it and it is usually cracked and buzzing. Cue the Evans guy.

I agree with SunDog. I used EMAD2 batter heads on my 20" kick and loved the sound, but if you play a lot they don't last as long as a PS3, even with patches where the beater strikes.

Great idea on saving old heads as backups. I need to start doing that, because the local music store doesn't stock kick batter heads I like. Thanks for the tip.

P.S. Holy thread necromancy! :)

My next Bass Drum head will be a smooth white Emperor with a super thin kick pad, but I'm also a fan of the SKII.

The PS3 on my put-away kit (ain't that the way it always goes?) sounds so good I won't even consider stripping it off and swapping it out. After my EMAD bites the dust it'll be another PS3. By the way, I play ancient rock!

BTW the PS3 gives me a booming Phil Specter "wall of sound", sound. If I want a clicky slapping sound I'd use cardboard.

Last edited:
I know this is beating a dead thread, but I prefer a PS3 or a coated ambassador with the Simon Phillips treatment for muffling. I've also had pretty good success with Evans EMAD and EQ4.

I have yet to hear a bass drum with any version of Super Kick that I like. That head seems to suck all life of out every drum I've heard it on, including mine. It DOES give an easy-to-attain generic miced sound, so I have to assume that's why so many like it.

All I know is, I know what I like, and the SK ain't it.

After spending hundreds of dollars on bass drum heads over the past 6-7 years (I like to experiment!) -
Remo Powerstroke 3 Clear on modern shells (all sizes)
Remo Powerstroke 3 Coated on vintage shells or 'new vintage' constructed shells.

Resonant: Fiberskyn, Powerstroke 4 White Smooth , Aquarian Regulator, Ambassador Bass Ebony

I also like 3 good old heads way more than I had ever imagined : clear Pinstripe , coated Ambassador , and CS Black Dot!

Neal

Back