SONOR SQ² Maple Heavy / Thin - Rosewood - Config Rock

With an inner wood ply shell finish the shell have more projection.

PS : I really love the Guru's kit... amazing look !!!
Thank you :) although the look is a product of function, as it's the sound that's top of the list.

I love Sonor drums. From both a player's POV, &, IMO, from an engineering excellence POV, they're a class apart from other offerings in the same price range. For me, perhaps only Tama's high end offerings getting close.

Nice kit! Love the knurled knob tension rods on the bass drum.

Classy and very convenient for settings heads... "THE" first class SONOR !!!

I love Sonor drums. From both a player's POV, &, IMO, from an engineering excellence POV, they're a class apart from other offerings in the same price range.

You're absolutely right.
SONOR SQ ² rates are not so high if it is compared with the DW Exotic finish series or the PEARL Masterwork series

For me, perhaps only Tama's high end offerings getting close.

TAMA is not my favorite brand ... if I can I prefer to buy products made ​​in Europe rather than in Asia.
And I'm a big fan of craftmanship (like Craviotto, Brady, Soprano, Guru...)

This is not really the problem of locating manufacturing but rather the care and serious production.
I found less serious productions for TAMA and the sound is not what I prefer...

This is not really the problem of locating manufacturing but rather the care and serious production.
I found less serious productions for TAMA and the sound is not what I prefer...

I've always respected the craftsmanship of Tama's Japan facilities over that of their China production. Just better sounding, better looking with much more attention to detail. Since sending their flagship Starclassic Maple drums to China, sales on that product have decreased significantly. At least you can still buy Starclassic Bubinga drums that are manufactured in Japan, they now call them "Elite" although at a significant price increase over the China "standard" contenders.

To keep this thread on track, I've played the Sonor SQ2 drums and l them. My favorite Five Star shop has two kits in stock. Two people from the store were just over to the Sonor plant in Germany and related to me that their workers are very detailed oriented and have a real sense of accomplishment. If I were to buy an SQ2 set of drums, it would be the same finish, but with a 22" bass drum.

Dennis

Yes, nice attention to detail, that I take to be indicative of overall pride in the product. Certainly most preferred to slapping some silver paint on the inside of the shells to cover up shitty wood/finishing, then pretending it's some wonder treatment ;)

Of course, I prefer solid wood, but Sonor runs a close second for me. Honestly, if my preferred option didn't exist, I'd be playing a thin shell German made Sonor.

Heyyyyy. I like my silver sealer and for 19.95 I will send you the formula. Act fast and today only I will send you the formula twice, with charge only for additional handling.

Some new pics !!!

dscf3427b.jpg

dscf3430k.jpg

dscf3426e.jpg

dscf3376r.jpg

dscf3431t.jpg

dscf3397r.jpg

dscf3433.jpg

dscf3465h.jpg

dscf3460x.jpg

dscf3386b.jpg

dscf3388vi.jpg

dscf3455kb.jpg

dscf3439c.jpg

dscf3390c.jpg

dscf3395f.jpg

dscf3411n.jpg

dscf3448gj.jpg

dscf3408v.jpg

dscf3480.jpg

Last edited:
those are some good looking drums there. the finish on both the inside and outside gives a really clean look. congrats.

So how does your maple heay set compare to the vintage one, sound-wise?

On this set the bass drum is in heavy shell, tom and floor tom are in thin shell.
The bass drum is amazing, very deep sound with infra bass and a beautiful resonance...
The tom and floor tom have a little bit more projection and power than the vintage shell but the Sonor heads aren't very good I must change all of them.

A little vid : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIpVFhWpNMQ&

Last edited:
Little update with a MEINL Cajate PM-1 and a DW 9000

dscf3490k.jpg

dscf3493c.jpg

dscf3537q.jpg

dscf3492y.jpg

dscf3533a.jpg

I also put foam under the floor tom to get more resonance (the result is stunning and cheaper than foot Pearl LG-40)

dscf3495b.jpg

dscf3497l.jpg

Back