Which heads should I buy?

Cameo

Gold Member
Hi, Drummerworld!
I'd like to change my heads on the Gretsch Renown. I have a broad taste in music, for example I listen to Benny Greb, John Mayer (Steve Jordan), The Killers (Ronnie Vannucci), Porcupine Tree (Gavin Harrison), Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Lettuce, Soulive, Tower of Power and even bands like Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters and Them Crooked Vultures.

...but mostly it's funk, lighter rock and sometimes jazzier music. R'n'B too.
So, what heads would be versatile enough? The kit is a jazz configuration with 18" x 14", 12" x 8" and 14" x 14". I have a 12" x 6 maple snare and a 14" x 5.5" brass snare.

I'll change all heads. The ones I've been thinking of is a EMAD on bass, with a single ply coated reso. Genera Dry and Hazy on snare. But toms? I often tend to be having problems with 'em. I prefer coated.

Please help me. Thank you!

Some things to consider would be, will you be miking the drums? How big are the rooms you play in? What sound are you looking for? I.e let the toms ring, do you want less ring. Many factors.

I use a Yamaha hip-gig Al Foster series 18" 12" 14' with 13" snare. I use either coated ambassadors or clear ambassadors and I tune both top and bottom heads to the same pitch, I want the drums to resonate due to their size.

I also use Yamaha Oak Customs for larger venues. I go back and forth between ambassador x (coated) and clear emperors. Ambassador x are still a single ply head but 20% thicker, great heads.

Good luck.

Some things to consider would be, will you be miking the drums? How big are the rooms you play in? What sound are you looking for? I.e let the toms ring, do you want less ring. Many factors.
Good luck.

I'm not going to play mic'd. Not now, atleast. The room is around 15 squaremeters. I've done some acoustic threatments, but aint much, just two absorbents. I'll get some molton later. I'm looking for a versatile sound that suits every music style (see those I posted).
About ringing, nah.. I'm not a fan of it.
The sound I'm searching for - toms that is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLeBHHCjraA&feature=relmfu

Thank you! :)

I just got some new coated Super-2's. I really think they would be perfect for you. Right in-between a single and double ply head, versitile, with a very warm sound, great at all tunings. Right now mine are medium-low and they very closely match the sound from that video. They were more medium yesterday, they sounded perfect, with no fine tuning, just a full turn on each rod for the batter and reso. With a 10 minutes I bet I could get any sound I wanted. If you like Evans maybe try the G Plus. Same weight but one ply instead of two. Should be awsome.
For the bass drum, generally those one-ply heads with built in muffling have to be tuned up quite a bit before you even get a sound, floating like the EMAD or a ring like the PS3. You might want to consider something unmuffled, then using a felt strip or what have you. Might help you get a lower tuning... Good luck.

I'll go with Coated Emperor's on top and clear Ambassadors at the bottom. I think that's the most versatile one.

Forgot to tell you this, but I'm going to use a kickport. Is the 18" Ambassador a good reso head or should I consider something else?

So, I'm looking for the tomsound of that C&C-kit I posted earlier and a 18" bass drum combo that make it sound like 22" - 24".

no!

don't get a single ply reso for your 18" bass drum... if you want it to sound HUGE get a 2ply coated reso....

trust me.

Thank you!
...but still need som tips for the toms. I already have clear G2 on top, but it's too much I think. I'll keep the G1's at the bottom.

So, should I get coated Ambassadors' or Emperors' for toms?
Still - this is the tom sound I'm looking for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLeBHHCjraA&feature=relmfu

I've decided!

EMAD 18" coated on bass drum, with what I think, a coated ambassador.
Coated over clear ambassadors on toms and Genera Dry over Hazy 300 on snare.
I'm still not quite sure about the bass drum reso. I'll use a kickport, and a bass drum raiser if that matters to you guys.

coated g2... trust me....

also in my opinion kick ports make little to no difference....

Ok, then! Luckily I found a guy selling some Remo heads.
2st Remo Ambassador Coated 12"
2st Remo Ambassador Coated 18"
1st Remo Emperor Coated 18"
2st Remo Ambassador Coated 22"
3st Remo Fiberskyn 3 14"
6st Remo Fiberskyn 3 18"

I'll buy the 12" , all 18" and 14". Just for 100 bucks.

He sold 'em. Bah!

So, still in need of your opinions.

Coated Ambassador over clear Ambassador on toms.
EMAD coated on kick, coated Ambassador or the thin Fiberskyn on reso w/ kickport
Evans Genera Dry and Hazy 300 on snare.

Back