Drum Stick Poll

The wood tips seem to get destroyed quicker from all of my playing, so I've bought a bunch of nylon tipped sticks lately. What I think I'll end up doing in the long run is nylon for practice and wood for performances.

As much as I enjoy wood tip I use nylon a lot more, can't afford to get new woods as they chip/break a lot faster than woods for me.

What about aluminum? I'm seriously tempted to try those Ahead sticks one day.....

Nice try ;) Ahead sticks still have nylon tips, haha. Actually though, Vic Firth makes some metal tipped sticks, I think they're aluminum... not sure.

I'm not a huge fan of Aheads, they have an odd balance, and they bounce differently than wood sticks. I used them for a long time because they're a money saver though. Definitely give them a try, if for no other reason than to just be able to say that you tried them, haha.

funny you should ask that, because i just bought a pair of nylon sticks 2 days ago. i didnt plan on it, but they only had the kind of sticks i liked with nylon tips. but i have noticed lately that with my wood tips, they seem to get a flat surface really fast, as opposed to remaining round. hopefully nylon tips will remain rounded.

funny you should ask that, because i just bought a pair of nylon sticks 2 days ago. i didnt plan on it, but they only had the kind of sticks i liked with nylon tips. but i have noticed lately that with my wood tips, they seem to get a flat surface really fast, as opposed to remaining round. hopefully nylon tips will remain rounded.

Usually the shoulder will be well worn before the tips. I like the sound of wood tips and used them for everything except Metal.

I use both, I find that wood sticks wear out faster but i've found that smaller tipped sticks stay round longer and when they do chip, its less of an issue, right now i use nylon tipped dave weckl evolutions and wood tipped peter erskine ride sticks.

I use both, I find that wood sticks wear out faster but i've found that smaller tipped sticks stay round longer and when they do chip, its less of an issue

Agreed. I recently bought a pair of Vater Sweet Rides. They have a small ball-shaped tip and they've held up tremendously. Absolutely no chipping or flattening.

It's funny because it seems to be the opposite to me. Although let me preface this by saying that the last time I used nylons my stroke technique was a joke, and I hit way too hard. And this had to of been over 4 years ago.

But back then I kept finding that I broke nylons all the time, only the tip would come off though.

Reading this made me re-think this question however. I'm going to have to get some 5b's with a nylon tip, that might solve the problem. When I used them before they were always thiner than sticks I normally used, I think the nylons I was using we 7a's. Which compared to the 2b's I was used to at the time, were like toothpicks.

Anyway, for the poll, I use wood tips currently.

Nylon for rehearsal & gigging, wood for recording. Chipped tips on otherwise perfect condition sticks cracks me up. Don't like nylon for recording though as I like to bring out the fundamental tones of both drums & cymbals. Live, in an amplified band setting, you really can't tell that much difference.

I use both wood & nylon, 5Bs from Vic Firth. It really bepends on the sound i'm trying to get. Plus I have a pair of those Vic Firth Silver bullets those bring out a ride like no other so amazing. yet can be annoying if they are used to much or to often.

What about aluminum? I'm seriously tempted to try those Ahead sticks one day.....

Ahead sticks sound bad on ride cymbals, but they sound good on toms.

I prefer wood tips, but for economic reasons, I mostly use nylon tips. I cannot vote on Facebook. Peace and goodwill.

Back