Feeling blue

Yeah, Manhattan's great, but you've got to have some loud money baby!
When I went to music school there I had a studio apartment on the lower east side. The rent was $150 a month. This was in the late seventies. Today? Forget it.

yeah, nowadays $150 won't even pay for the key. I'm born and raised in Manhattan but I live in Queens because the rents in Manhattan are ridiculous. Besides, I can get to midtown Manhattan in 20 minutes via subway. Not bad.

yeah, nowadays $150 won't even pay for the key. I'm born and raised in Manhattan but I live in Queens because the rents in Manhattan are ridiculous. Besides, I can get to midtown Manhattan in 20 minutes via subway. Not bad.

I heard that many people who live in the city don't own cars. They can't afford it and they dont' need it. That sounds like my type of town.

Question... We were thinking Brooklyn, but would Queens be better? I plan on commuting into the city (hopefully). Lets just say I've never even heard my money make a peep...

Question... We were thinking Brooklyn, but would Queens be better? I plan on commuting into the city (hopefully). Lets just say I've never even heard my money make a peep...

Everytime I hear of someone speak of Queens I think of the movie Comming To America.

I heard that many people who live in the city don't own cars. They can't afford it and they dont' need it. That sounds like my type of town.

actually, there too many cars in Manhattan. I don't know if all those people who own them actually live there but man, way too many cars. I have never owned a car and don't care to. Mass transit can be a pain sometimes but it beats driving. Unless you have your own garage parking is always an issue. And the city loves to give tickets or tow, it's a thriving business. New York can be a blast but it's not for everyone.

actually, there too many cars in Manhattan. I don't know if all those people who own them actually live there but man, way too many cars. I have never owned a car and don't care to. Mass transit can be a pain sometimes but it beats driving. Unless you have your own garage parking is always an issue. And the city loves to give tickets or tow, it's a thriving business. New York can be a blast but it's not for everyone.

Yes, thats what I have heard. I would really like to visit it someday. I hear so many wonderful stories.

Brooklyn can be nice in the right area. There's a commercial running on TV these days for apartments in the Flatbush section, I think 2 bedrooms go for about $1300.
Actually, here's the link- http://www.flatbushgardens.net/

I happen to like Queens a lot but I've never lived in Brooklyn so I can't compare.

well i didnt really mean it in a put-off kind of fashion, it was more of an expression of satirical confusion about your being sad by having to go to NYC, if that makes any sense. Cause, like i said, NYC is AMAZING! i had this italian place right next to our "peregrine" (house) we called it, it was called salvatores. Incredible, easily the best italian food i've ever had, ever. but then it went outta business, a sad day that was indeed.

ah, the memories of me stuffing my face in some nice ziti pizza

Thats ok Groceryman, I didn't think you meant it like that. I'm not sad about moving there... I'm actually so happy that I find it hard to sleep at night. I was just sad that I made someone cry. By the way, I am hoping a nice italian family will adopt me when we get up there... mmm... homemade italian food : )

Yes, thats what I have heard. I would really like to visit it someday. I hear so many wonderful stories.

if you want to catch some of the best musicians in the world then Manhattan is the place.
I just saw Dennis Chambers at a small club and was about 10 feet from him and next month I plan to catch Mr. Gadd at the same place. Now THAT'S sweet!

Brooklyn is almost the new Manhattan. And depending on where you live there, it can be a huge endeavor to get into the city. I'd say that your prospects are much better in Queens.
Now Brooklyn's great, I like it, but I'd have to go with Queens.

Ok thanks! We actually still have our subway map from when we were there. One more question... Do people have dogs there? We have two, and can't imagine not taking them. I actually just emailed that apartment place you gave me to see if they allow dogs. Am I getting my hopes up though?

Brooklyn is almost the new Manhattan. And depending on where you live there, it can be a huge endeavor to get into the city. I'd say that your prospects are much better in Queens.
Now Brooklyn's great, I like it, but I'd have to go with Queens.

Thanks Jay, thats good to know! I'm learning so much! Definetly makes this process easier. Thanks!

Ok thanks! We actually still have our subway map from when we were there. One more question... Do people have dogs there? We have two, and can't imagine not taking them. I actually just emailed that apartment place you gave me to see if they allow dogs. Am I getting my hopes up though?

some buildings allow them, some don't. you need to inquire

Brooklyn's more expensive than Queens.

General rule of thumb.. the further away you are from Manhattan, the cheaper the rent. E.g Brooklyn Heights, or Astoria are just across

the East river and therefore almost as expensive as Manhattan

Good news- the longest possible commute ( subway/trains ) from most neighborhoods in both Brooklyn & Queens is about 40 minutes to mid-town Manhattan.

Dont rule out New Jersey ( Jersey City, Union City ) which are equally easy commutes. If you have dogs, these might be your best bet.

Lots of dogs in NYC but its a lot more work.

Everything you hear about NYC is true.. except the stuff about New Yorkers.

There's no place in the world like it. Its the greatest city in the world. Stop feeling blue. Make the move.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you're moving for all of the right reasons. Don't let anyone make you feel blue about it.
Enjoy this time of your life.

Back