Nylon Plastic Tension Rod Washers...

I have them installed on the top hoop of my 5x12, as it helps to keep it from detuning so quickly. They came standard on my Sensitone brass. I don't feel much of a difference in playing, but I retune a lot less, and that's good.

My Tama Starclassic Bubinga drums came from the factory with hard nylon washers and I liked them a lot. I equipped two of my other sets of drums with them and all of my snare drums. The Tama washers have just enough bite to them to enable intricate key tuning, but at the same time helps lock the tension rods in place without resorting to other measures.

Dennis

I looked at the Canopus washers on YouTube. I don't think that they are a replacement for plastic.
They seem to be fragile and they will become chewed up quickly.
keep us posted on their quality and function.

Absolutely NOT fragile. They are more sturdy than I thought they would be too.
I've had them on a particular snare for 6-9 months now,and they seem like they hold tension well, & they haven't smushed real flat either. $15 is less than what I paid for the 40 pack. They're pricey, but they do seem to work a bit better than metal and nylon washers, however, I can't say "WOW!" either. Tightscrews work best for keeping a rod where it's set IMO anyway.

As for metal and nylon washers, I have both on different snares (nylon on everything else). They make about as much difference as when I change a head. Each head is going to sound different from the next, so who's to say?
It sounds like "my drum" so, that's where I'm at with them I guess :)
BUT, I'm not one to argue if someone else can hear/feel the difference with THEIR stuff.

I agree about RIMS type mounts. Don't need them, but I prefer the smaller L-rod type mount. Yamaha's small hex rod never caused any problems either for me.

I bought like 6 packs of Tama nylon washers for my X7 kit and I will never ever everevereverever go back to metal washers, especially on a snare drum. There is nothing like freshly oiled tension rods and nylon washers when tuning new heads lol. Love it.

Back